WideBand Controlled Stock Type Chip Now Running

this is awsome stuff alright (IMO). need to combine this idea with the Translator/Extender chip!! :D :D

the plx WB at B&E custom says it can also send a narrow band signal to original ECM in the stock location (0.0-1.0V), click on more info. Can I use this WB sensor for both normal and WB mode? Check it out again. It seems to be a good way to do it. No need to weld in a new bung, and you get a heated o2 for the factory ECM. What do you think?

Scott

Both the Innovative and PLX units provide analog outputs that can be used to fake the stock o2 sensor for the ecm. The wbo2 sensor needs to go well after the turbo because it is much more temperature sensitive than the stock narrowband type - see the help forums at Innovative's website for lots and lots of discussion on this (and some posts in this forum as well), so you will still have to weld in a new bung. You can reuse the stock one for egt, though :).

Has there been any more development on this subject. I would be very interested in purchasing a wideband controlled chip. Keep us posted.

Development continues, just finished putting together a new circuit to get the wideband data to the ecm which provides a completely linear signal to the ecm over the full WB output range of 0-5volts so any wideband can be used that has an analog output in that range. This circuit also provides finer data points so the chip software has even finer control in keeping the A/F ratio on target than what I've been using.

I'll be doing more testing over and after the holidays. The rest of the chip is complete w/ adj spool fuel, adj 2 and 3 gear timing over a 6 degree range from a base(3 extra degrees in 1st, 2 extra in 2nd and main spark table in 3rd+ with the adjustment on top of all these), the learning WB feature which is adjustable where the WB can be turned off and removed if needed and I'll still be on target for the particular boost level being run at the time of learning or an adjustable shift SES light.

As with aftermarket EFI systems, this setup isn't a plug and play deal, it can require tuning of the PE RPM fuel tables so the WB only needs to make the minimum changes to stay on the A/F target ratio just as with VE tables with afermarket systems. However, this depends on how close the initial chip settings are and once that's established at a decent boost level, no further changes are needed. Basically fine tuning the chip tables to a correct level so the WB operates at its best and doesn't have to compensate for radical incorrect commanded fuel in the chip although it can if needed. Directscan logs, which will also have the WB data in them, are the best method to get the fuel tables in line because of the quantity of data you have across the RPM ranges. It also turns out, on a 9 sec pass, the code can make over 100 fuel corrections over and above the base commanded fuel in the chip if needed to keep the fuel curve in line. Its a compromise of doing things fast enough but not too fast as to throw the fuel rich and lean.

So, anyway, that's the latest, tinkering continues, car is running very well and should have a few more locals running in the next couple months as they get their WBs installed. The fun never ends :cool: cya.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...this is awsome stuff!! :D Are you still running a stock MAF on your test car?

Thanks,
Rob

Thanks, I appreciate that, just something I enjoy doing and tinkering with, my stock maf crapped out about 2 yrs ago and have been running the std translator w/ a LT1 since.

Awsome! I've got a trans+ and it works great. I guess your WB setup will work with a T+?

Rob

Since the T+ outputs the same MAF signal as the std T unless your running an Extender, it would work fine.

Now I'm almost done with more tinkering working out another feature in the chip: I'll now be able to adjust WOT fuel in the chip from 3200 to 6400 in 5 user adjustable cells in a +/-10% value range from 128 which in a non wideband type chip or with the wideband feature turned off will run as a static set of fuel values that allow the user to fine tune the entire fuel curve where it really matters for almost any boost setting and across the entire useful RPM range for WOT. And when the wideband controlling feature is on, these settings will serve as user preset values which the wideband feedback will start from and then 'learn in' and adjust as it needs at WOT to fine tune and achive the user commanded A/F ratio they have programmed the wideband to target.

Basically I'll now have a small user programmable VE table in the stock chip on top of the other user adjustable features of multigear timing adjustment, spool fuel and allowing full closed loop WOT wideband fuel correction using these 5 position VE values for automatic 'learning' and very fine fuel control and the ability to adjust these values manually higher or lower to program a higher or lower base fuel strategy for the wideband to start correcting from and learning for those times when plugging in race gas and cranking the boost allowing for a safe tune starting point.

The code fun just never ends ;) :cool:

Well, these settings along with the other user adjustable settings need to stay around when the key is off and there's only one place where that's possible so lets just say I took over a few more cells from the map. :D

I guess I knew the answer before I asked. I only ever used cells the car could not get into normally and even then I wrote plausible (rich) values there in case they got used as a fuel calculation once in a while, unlike the Extender which keeps the ECM out of the programmable cells altogether.

The Extender still uses the top row which is where I'm at now in using the other 3 rows for my stuff. Its all good as you know how fast even the stock code moves thru the 8-9 cells it usually used. And if you shorten the BLM update rate a little when its learning then things get in line pretty quick.