Wideband readings in 1st gear

I could pull fuel out of the chip and the car would get stronger and stronger.
If your motor makes more power when you are leaner,that's where it wants to be. In first gear there isn't as much of a load on the motor. Because of this we can run leaner and/or advance the spark timing and/or run more boost. The other thing that allows us to be more aggressive in first gear is the fact that we don't spend much time there.

If your motor makes more power when you are leaner,that's where it wants to be.

This is exactly what I was thinking. When we used to tune 10-12 years ago, it was looking at the 02's and finding that sweet spot without KR. I have found that 1/8 mile lean (1,2,part of 3rd) is good ET. Richen 3rd up a little and play with what the car likes best. One of my old stock setups loved to be lean all the way with 02's in the 740's. ran a best of 11.3 on a TA49 stock longblock.
The car in my sig wants to be lean too. Huge power difference in AFR's. Times in my sig were AFR at 10.5-10.8

When we used to tune 10-12 years ago, it was looking at the 02's and finding that sweet spot without KR.
And we would observe MPH. If you lean it out or richen it up and the MPH suffers,you know you were right in the first place. Looking at plugs is still very effective for A/F and spark adjustment. We didn't have widebands and data loggers. If I change the A/F ratio to get to a certain number and the car slows down,I assume my cars current combo likes the A/F ratio where it runs the strongest and/or the wideband is wrong. Because of the wideband and data logger,we have more information to help us tune. The thing we don't want to do is rely on only one of our tuning aids and throw the others away. If we have more ways of helping us tune,we should still look at all of them for a more complete picture of where we need to move.

I know leaner is meaner, but it scared me when people would flip out when I told them my Afr was 12.8 in first gear, I thought I was ok and now I have some backup on this. Thanks

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I know leaner is meaner
The most power producing A/F ratio is meaner. If you are making maximum power at your current A/F ratio,leaner is not meaner. It is simply wrong and possibly dangerous. A move to a leaner A/F ratio only works when you are too rich. It's up to us to find out what our motors like. I assume you are monitoring your fuel pressure as well. It's a big part of the puzzle to power.

The most power producing A/F ratio is meaner. If you are making maximum power at your current A/F ratio,leaner is not meaner. It is simply wrong and possibly dangerous. A move to a leaner A/F ratio only works when you are too rich. It's up to us to find out what our motors like. I assume you are monitoring your fuel pressure as well. It's a big part of the puzzle to power.
Yea I can actually can go alittle leaner at this point I am running around 12.3 in first but it likes 12.8. I prefer to leave it a little rich for safety. Fuel pressure is solid around 41 at idle no vacuum, with a 1:1 rise. cause my car is very rich on cold starts

Yea I can actually can go alittle leaner at this point I am running around 12.3 in first but it likes 12.8. I prefer to leave it a little rich for safety. Fuel pressure is solid around 41 at idle no vacuum, with a 1:1 rise. cause my car is very rich on cold starts

What does your narrow band read when the wide band shows 12.3?

I run 11.0 from start to finish and 10.5 on the trans brake. No issues. I lifted a head gasket at 12.5:1

Funny.. I ran one pass a/f in the 14's when my alternator took a dump & nothing happen besides the wideband O2 sensor cooking. My EGT's read 1800*. Replaced both items & back on track. The only thing that might of happen here is the rings took a lot of heat & might of gotten weak.

my egys sit at 550f on 15psi. timming @24deg afr always 11.0 under power. goes consistent 145mph. Not 100% sure it was the afr at 12.5:1 that caused it but after fixing the issue it hasnt happened since.