You can type here any text you want

Widening GTA Wheels - Weld Craft Wheels?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I had some 16" GTA wheels widened to 10" by Jim Lyon at True Design Wheel Great guy and great workmanship too!
-->For comparison with a stock GTA "front" wheel, see picture below...

Claude. :)

Concerning True Design, did you have to provide additional wheels for the widening or did they cut the existing wheel and add a spacer to get the additional width? Is powder coating mandatory?
Conrad

I used Weldcraft about 10 years ago, good people, good results.

Bob

Concerning True Design, did you have to provide additional wheels for the widening or did they cut the existing wheel and add a spacer to get the additional width? Is powder coating mandatory?
Conrad

I supplied the cores to Turdesign. They cut the centers off them and re-welded them into new outer rims, with the desired rear spacing (In my case 4.25" for a 10" wide wheel...)
As for powdercoating, I think that when you're going to all the effort to make the best wheels possible, you might as well go with powdercoating instead of paint, as it's far more durable. The price of $355. per wheel included the powdercoating.

Claude. :wink:

TooFastForYou,
How much was the powder coating?
Conrad

I had Mustang wheels that were widen by Weldcraft from 8" to 10.5". They do a lot of work for the performance shops here in Michigan. As far as I know it is top quality work.

Claude,
Didn't you post a picture of your wheels elsewhere on TB.COM? I have studied the picture and it appears that the wheel on the right side (wheel w/o tire) of the photo is a powder coated GTA rear...not widened.

The wheel on the left has a tire and is mounted on the rear of your car. It appears to be a GTA front wheel. That is the wheel that you got widened, right? Could you snap a picture of the inside of this wheel where the widening took place?

Thanks.

Conrad
Hot Air

?? Am I looking at the same pic as you Conrad ? :confused:

The wheel without the tire ( on right ) has like a 4-5" polished lip. The one with the tire ( on car ) only has a 2-3" lip.
I'm gonna guess the one without the tire is the widened one. GTA rear wheels have very little polished lip showing at all.

FWIW, I also had TruDesign modify my wheels years ago. Had them change the backspacing to my specs. They do great work and fast turn around.

Matt

Claude,
Didn't you post a picture of your wheels elsewhere on TB.COM? I have studied the picture and it appears that the wheel on the right side (wheel w/o tire) of the photo is a powder coated GTA rear...not widened.

The wheel on the left has a tire and is mounted on the rear of your car. It appears to be a GTA front wheel. That is the wheel that you got widened, right? Could you snap a picture of the inside of this wheel where the widening took place?

Thanks.

Conrad
Hot Air
Conrad, yes, I did post about these wheels a while ago.
As for the picture in the second post, it is one of the wheels I had done at Trudesign, it's powdercoated too, and it's 10" wide! :) You're correct about the wheel mounted on the car: it is a stock GTA "front" unmodified wheel . :wink: As for taking a picture of the inside of the wheel, well you won't see anything because like I explained in one of my previous posts, they cut out the centers and re-weld them into new, one piece outer rims, so you don't see any "weld seam" for a widening "added spacer", other than the weld where the center is welded to the outer rim...Sorry, but I don't have any pic of that...:redface: But here's a pic of the 10" wide wheel mounted on the car, as well as two other pics showing the clearance (on both sides of the car) between the tire's sidewall bulge and the frame ...

Hope this helps...

Claude. :smile:

Back