You can type here any text you want

Widening Rear Axle?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hot Air

E85 and S.E./Carolinas Moderator
Staff member
Has anyone tried to widen the stock GM rear end housing? I know that I would need new, longer axles. Trying to add Vette wheels with positive offset and would prefer to not use spacers/adaptors.
Conrad

Oops...thought I was putting this in General Tech! Can moderator move this post?
Conrad

instead of widening a stock axle, it might be easier to just get a 9" custom made.
but you are still gonna be using spacers on the front wheels..

I bet you can gain about an inch (each side) by cutting the housind ends off and installing a set of Moser C clip eliminator housing ends.

Then you would have to buy new axles and change your rear brakes, because the stock backing plates would not bolt up to them.

How much more would be needed. A B-body rear end might work if you relocate the lower control arm brackets. A Caprice and Roadmaster sedan are the narrowest, the Impala SS is alittle wider, and a wagon is the widest. I want to say they are around 59", but could be wrong.

Back