wierd noise from top of engine

gmp30

I just bought a 1995 riviera supercharged and the guy that sold it to me said that he thinks it need a new supercharger. When the vehcile is idling a grinding noise is heard from the top of the engine. I originally thought it was just the alternator grinding. But it turned out not to be. The grinding noise is hard to pinpoint because nothing is vibrating when touched to pinpoint the problem area. Does this sound like a supercharger to you guys or do you think it is something else. The vehicle has 65000 miles on it and drives great . do the superchargers act up like this when they go bad or does someone think I have a different problem. Also when i turn the vehcile off the grinding noise is heard louder for that second that the vechicle is turning off. Any info would greatly be appreciated.

More than likely it's just the SC coupler. There's a polymer coupler that connects the snout to the SC gears.

If you get the noise at idle, and it goes away with a little increase in RPMS (manually moving throttle) you can fix it.

Magnuson(sp) sells a coupler kit, and very easy to change. I don't have the extac info at this time, but I will post it.

Mike

Agood way to check the coupler, is to remover the belt and rotate the pulley. If there is a large amount of play, as you turn it in different directions that isa sign of the coupler wearing.

If there is little or no play, you may want to look at the tensioner or the idler pulleys for the belt.

http://www.magnusonproducts.com

Contact the TECH department at Magnusson (sp?) and they should be able to get you one. Don't be surprised if they try to tell you that it is a temporary fix and that it won't work.

The part is about $20.

HTH,
Mike

Thank you very much guys I will investigate the coupler and see if that is my problem. Does anyone sell rebuild kits for these superchargers and if so are they easy to do. Thanks again for any replies.

George

guys I had a friend of mine look at my vehicle , he used to work for buick, he tells me that i need to replace the nose of the supercharger. Does anyone here know where I can get a new or refurbished nose or maybe an entire supercharger at a good price. any replies are greatly appreciated

Thanks
George

I have been reading up on replacing the coupler I think I will try this before I spend money on the nose unit. For such a small cost I think it would be worth my while.

thanks George

1995 riviera
65000 miles