Will 96lb/hr injectors be enough for a 9.99 pass on e85?

Steve

I have done some reading on E85 injector sizing and there seems to be some differing opinions. I saw on the Turbo Tweak site that Eric said the 80's would be good 10.50's and maybe faster so based on that the 96's should be close. I would like to get by with the 96's if possible because I am going to drive the car on the Power Tour next year and E85 will not be available everywhere so I am hoping that with the XFI I can get by with 96's and 93 octane(I am going to check with Cal and see if 96's will idle ok with 93). Thanks

i would get the 120's and be done with it.. yes you might be able to squeeze a 9.99 out of the 96's but its going to be close depending on your pump. Cal can get 120's to run good on 93 octane so im sure he wont have a issue with the 96's either.

It depends on the fuel pump. At some point injector size crosses the threshold of what the pump can support. The only way to really know is test the system and weigh the fuel.

It depends on the fuel pump. At some point injector size crosses the threshold of what the pump can support. The only way to really know is test the system and weigh the fuel.

I am planning to use a double pumper set up with a 1/2" feed and 3/8" return. I have a modded fuel rail with the restrictive ends cut off with a 8an fitting welded on both ends and a Fuel Lab regulator so there should be enough fuel supply. I am not opposed to going to 120's but I am just a little concerned about the idle qaulity on pump gas but Cal may be able to take care of that.

There are two things you DON'T want to run out of....fuel pump capacity and fuel injector band width! I would go to 120's for sure. I'll gladly swap my 83's for a clean set of 120's!
Conrad

I am planning to use a double pumper set up with a 1/2" feed and 3/8" return. I have a modded fuel rail with the restrictive ends cut off with a 8an fitting welded on both ends and a Fuel Lab regulator so there should be enough fuel supply. I am not opposed to going to 120's but I am just a little concerned about the idle qaulity on pump gas but Cal may be able to take care of that.

C'mon man, you want to have 9 sec-capable injectors, but you want it to idle perfect? You either need to eat your cake, or put it back in the fridge, you can't have both.

however, even my 160lbers idle pretty good. The idle is around 1100rpm, but for a chipped car, I'm not complaining!

Go with 120s and be done with it. Cal is the man if you're going FAST. You're going to be upset if you grab some 95lbers and decide to up the boost and run out of injector.

Don't buy twice. Buy once and be done with it. Cal can get you the injectors and set up your FAST.

C'mon man, you want to have 9 sec-capable injectors, but you want it to idle perfect? You either need to eat your cake, or put it back in the fridge, you can't have both.

however, even my 160lbers idle pretty good. The idle is around 1100rpm, but for a chipped car, I'm not complaining!

Go with 120s and be done with it. Cal is the man if you're going FAST. You're going to be upset if you grab some 95lbers and decide to up the boost and run out of injector.

Don't buy twice. Buy once and be done with it. Cal can get you the injectors and set up your FAST.

Yes, I do want good idle qaulity and a 9 second slip and it has been done many times before. I will talk to Cal and see how he feels about the 120's with pump gas and if its possible great and if its not then E85 may not be for me. I have been low 10's on pump gas and ALKY and the car idled great and drove like a stocker with the A/C on and others have gone high 9's with similar very streetable set ups. Turbo Buicks have always been "fast with class" and I plan to keep the class in my car! I know it can be done with pump gas/Alky but I would like to try something a little different and E85 is plentiful here so I thought I might give it shot but if it degrades the streetability of my car then I will go a different route.

Yes, I do want good idle qaulity and a 9 second slip and it has been done many times before. I will talk to Cal and see how he feels about the 120's with pump gas and if its possible great and if its not then E85 may not be for me. I have been low 10's on pump gas and ALKY and the car idled great and drove like a stocker with the A/C on and others have gone high 9's with similar very streetable set ups. Turbo Buicks have always been "fast with class" and I plan to keep the class in my car! I know it can be done with pump gas/Alky but I would like to try something a little different and E85 is plentiful here so I thought I might give it shot but if it degrades the streetability of my car then I will go a different route.

With 120s I think you'll be fine. My 160s idle great but the rpm is high, thats it.

I suppose it really boils down to what our definition of "fine" is, and what we will tolerate.

I would put my money Cal could make those 120s idle like a stocker. Only way to know is to call and find out!

Just remember that it takes ~30% more E85 to equal the energy (BTU's) of a gallon of gasoline. So, the 120's running E85 will actually be equivalent to 84's when running gasoline.

FWIW, there are other excellent alternatives @ FAST to Cal in Florida...Nick in Arizona, Jack Cotton in Mass., etc. I would be looking for someone within driving (towing/trailering) distance of Missouri.

Conrad

Just remember that it takes ~30% more E85 to equal the energy (BTU's) of a gallon of gasoline. So, the 120's running E85 will actually be equivalent to 84's when running gasoline.

FWIW, there are other excellent alternatives @ FAST to Cal in Florida...Nick in Arizona, Jack Cotton in Mass., etc. I would be looking for someone within driving (towing/trailering) distance of Missouri.

Conrad

I am equally far distance wise from FL, AZ and MASS! I planned to go with Cal because I have dealt with him before with good results although I am sure the others you mentioned would be good also. I think Cal's start up program will be close to begin with and in our little group of racers here there is a lot of XFI experience to draw from including a couple of 2000+ HP Outlaw and TT5 race cars and quite a few 9 second street cars.

Thanks Steve. I am very familiar with E-85. If you elect to go with the 120's, I can make them idle just fine, even on gasoline.

Huh? I'm 200 miles closer then either one of them, and still wouldn't consider that within REASONABLE driving (towing/trailering). FWIW: In the past, I have helped tune Nick's personal car.

Thanks Steve. I am very familiar with E-85. If you elect to go with the 120's, I can make them idle just fine, even on gasoline.

Huh? I'm 200 miles closer then either one of them, and still wouldn't consider that within REASONABLE driving (towing/trailering). FWIW: In the past, I have helped tune Nick's personal car.

Thanks for the reply Cal. If you can make the 120's idle good on 93 then that pretty much takes care of my concerns and makes my decision on which way to go an easy one!