You can type here any text you want

Will painting an Alradco aluminum radiator decrease its efficiency?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

V6POWER

Will painting the Alradco aluminum radiator with Krylon satin black paint decrease the radiator cooling efficiency?

Good question! I have always wondered about this. I have wanted to paint intercoolers before to hide them. But again the stocker came black from factory so do the PTE SLIC so not sure.. Great Question!

Sub'd

Last edited:
I ran the powder coated ALRADCO in one of my cars and tested the crap out of it: used it with a front mount IC, used both oil and trans coolers in the rad, and controlled the fans manually. I rarely used the fans it cooled so well.

Just don't put nine coats on it and you will be fine. Just haze the fin area too, try not to overly coat it.

No. The black paint increases the aluminum exothermic properties resulting in an increased efficiency.
The air charge, as a result, is cooler.

No. The black paint increases the aluminum exothermic properties resulting in an increased efficiency.
The air charge, as a result, is cooler.

The op is actually refering to a Radiator but same concept they both are Heat Exchangers

Doesn't Alradco offer a powder coated version?... Mike

So a couple light coats of spray paint should be fine...Mike

Another question......would the radiator paint from Eastwood provide more cooling efficiency than powder coating?

Black reduces temps vs raw aluminum. It has been tested many times.

This is a true statement as black will radiate heat better, but the thicker powder coat treatment may hinder heat transfer somewhat, but it should not present a cooling issue in normal conditions.

The black paint used on radiators is a special type , but many of us use the normal spray can paint!

Back