You can type here any text you want

Will smaller fitting going to radiator cooler be bad?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

karolko

So here is my problem: i purchased a new aluminum radiator from the forum, and the trans cooler only has a 1/8 npt fitting for the inlet and outlet. Now these are nowhere the same I.D. size of the factory line, (-5 inverted flare).

I am going to be running -6 AN fittings from the trans and into the cooler, and they do make a 1/8 npt to -6AN fitting, but i am wondering if this will cause too much back pressure on the system.

Please help, this is very frustrating.

Adrian

do it right and run an external cooler and don't worry about the radiator fittings.

The factory radiator cooler for the tranny is 1/8"NPT those right angle adapters go into the radiator in the front from the 5/16" flared pipes. :)

It's probably the right radiator for a stock replacement. :cool:

salvage,

those are the fittings that i am planning on using.

This is kind of making a little more sense to me. Those factory hardlines came in two pieces: the first small ones simple do a 90* degrees bend ad shoot out into the engine compartment. On the other end of that are the flared fittings. Right?

The short bent lines are also 5/16" flared pipe both ends, they mate with the long hard lines with brass 5/16" straight flared pipe couplers on the back side of the radiator.

In the FRONT of a stock radiator are 90 degree or right angle adapters, 1/8" NPT to the 5/16" flared pipe fitting so they stay close to the radiator, there's no way you can fit 5/16" flared pipe into the front of a radiator there's not enough room for the pipe hence the adapters which are low and flat.

That's the way the factory did it, not sure how you're gonna end up. ;)

I think if you use a right angle adapter and your fittings for the tranny are in the front like a stocker it will work out alright and you'll be able to fit the 3/8" or -6an line in there. :cool:

Awesome thank you very much for the help salvage. This has cleared everything up for me.

Adrian

Back