Wilwwod Bolt on factory replacement 2 piston calipers!!!

turboc87gn

Darkside in Detroit
Ummm yea i was reassembling my front suspension my new calipers dont fit!!!!! :mad: Apparently we have metric brake calipers not the D52 calipers that the most other GM rwd cars use...The good news is the summit drilled and slotted rotors fit like a glove... Wilwood does make a single piston forged aluminum caliper thats a bolt on.. And its only $90 I ended up gettin the SSBC kit its $45 per caliper more than the wilwoods i originally bought for $159 each, but it comes with high performance pads(i bought hawks so ill use these as spares) and its also a 2 piston aluminum powdercoated bolt on caliper....

Heres pics of what ive done so far, sand blasted control arms,knuckles ,new energy suspension bushings,upper and lower ball joints ,and inner and outer tierods ,qa1 shocks,summit rotors,and russell brake lines..hopefully soon ill have my calipers too....

Attachments

• IMG00145-20100615-2050.jpg
    IMG00145-20100615-2050.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 969
  • IMG00146-20100615-2050.jpg
    IMG00146-20100615-2050.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 966
  • IMG00147-20100615-2051.jpg
    IMG00147-20100615-2051.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 966
$500? I'll do the S-10 spindle upgrade for that. Bigger rotor and twin piston calipers to boot.

Well the red powdercoated ones ended up costin me $450 after tax(for some reason the red ones are cheaper than the plain ones) and when you consider they come with high performance pads,new hardware and you get the weight savings of aluminum,(the s10s are iron) plus the cool factor of the red aftermarket calipers pokin thru the wheels they are still a bargain...plus the s10s are only a half inch bigger..

Do the summit rotors use the same bearings as stock? Do they come with the bearings? Part numbers?

The rotor is on the wrong side of the car.

RemoveBeforeFlight

{edit:} Ok, I'm going to elaborate here and also correct my earlier statement. The rotor may be on the correct side of the car.

Which side depends whether the rotor has straight or curved cooling vanes. These are the vanes on the inside of the rotor. If the cooling vanes are straight the rotor can be on either side. The direction of the slots is then dictated by user preference. Which ever looks best to them.

If the cooling vanes are curved the rotors then have true left & right sides. In this case when looking at the top portion of the rotor, the cooling vanes must curve toward the rear of the vehicle.

Put another way, during rotation, the cooling vane starts at the inside of the rotor. And moves toward the outside as the rotor continues to rotate. Most of the time this also puts the slots positioned in the same direction as a saw blade. From the outside moving toward the inside as the rotor rotates. Or the opposite of the cooling vanes.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Attachments

• rotor.jpg
    rotor.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 901
$500? I'll do the S-10 spindle upgrade for that. Bigger rotor and twin piston calipers to boot.
Heres something else i just thought about,in the jkyard stuff sits around a lot. So you will prolly have to luck up on a set up with good hub bearings..Id prolly wanna use new ones anyway...They range from $111 to $162 on az website for the decent bearings there are a set of 3 mth warranty value crap ones on there for $89 but i wouldnt dare put a value crap anything on my dd let alon my tr...So if you got your setup from the j yard for say $100 plus $111 x2 for new hub bearings and brake hardware at $20 and hi perf pads at $75 you are at
$417 not including tax on the pads and hubs..so actually the s10 conversion comes out about the same $$ if you buy the timken hubs its actually more $$..
Do the summit rotors use the same bearings as stock? Do they come with the bearings? Part numbers?
Same bearings and seals as stock they come with the races installed but i bought timken bearings and seals and used synthetic grease to pack them..Ill post part #s later when i go work on the car...

The rotor is on the wrong side of the car.
RemoveBeforeFlight

{edit:} Ok, I'm going to elaborate here and also correct my earlier statement. The rotor may be on the correct side of the car.

Which side depends whether the rotor has straight or curved cooling vanes. These are the vanes on the inside of the rotor. If the cooling vanes are straight the rotor can be on either side. The direction of the slots is then dictated by user preference. Which ever looks best to them.

If the cooling vanes are curved the rotors then have true left & right sides. In this case when looking at the top portion of the rotor, the cooling vanes must curve toward the rear of the vehicle.

Put another way, during rotation, the cooling vane starts at the inside of the rotor. And moves toward the outside as the rotor continues to rotate. Most of the time this also puts the slots positioned in the same direction as a saw blade. From the outside moving toward the inside as the rotor rotates. Or the opposite of the cooling vanes.

RemoveBeforeFlight
Nah its not, they are directional and they have a right and a left on the box i called the tech line and they said its right and left if you were sittin in the driver seat....

Heres something else i just thought about,in the jkyard stuff sits around a lot. So you will prolly have to luck up on a set up with good hub bearings..Id prolly wanna use new ones anyway...They range from $111 to $162 on az website for the decent bearings there are a set of 3 mth warranty value crap ones on there for $89 but i wouldnt dare put a value crap anything on my dd let alon my tr...So if you got your setup from the j yard for say $100 plus $111 x2 for new hub bearings and brake hardware at $20 and hi perf pads at $75 you are at
$417 not including tax on the pads and hubs..so actually the s10 conversion comes out about the same $$ if you buy the timken hubs its actually more $$..

Found them for $68 each with a 1 year warrenty and as far as the pads I work for AZ so that's not an issue.:biggrin: I paid less than $100 for the spindles, brackets, and calipers so I'll have less than that and it's a direct bolt on with no other changes but an alignment. I was originally going to go with B body spindles but the price was more than I can do right now.:(

Man this sux I wanted to use a set on my car. I have been looking forever for the s10 blazer stuff and none of the yards here have them so I would be looking at 200 to 250 to get a set from flebay or some one on the board so I gave up. I was going to get a set here but shipping would have put them close to 300 by the time they got here.

Man this sux I wanted to use a set on my car. I have been looking forever for the s10 blazer stuff and none of the yards here have them so I would be looking at 200 to 250 to get a set from flebay or some one on the board so I gave up. I was going to get a set here but shipping would have put them close to 300 by the time they got here.
How do you think i felt i walked in to summit bought them,walked out with a big dumb grin on my face,showed them to my dad and the guys at my shop.pictured them in my head on my car with cool wheels that showed them off etc etc...then kaboom it all blew up when i put them on and they werent even close to fitting..:frown::mad:..I was gonna try to make the downriver cruise next weekend but its not lookin like it..On the flip side summit is crediting me the full amount and the ssbc ones are $94 more and come with the high perf pads too..Idk if you were plannin on buyin high perf pads but mine were $75 if memory serves me correct so actually by the time you add that in you are only at $20 give or take more...

The calipers were too big, the center where it fits in the gap in the spindle was too was like 1 1/2 inches to wide to fit in the gap and even if i could have cut it down some the bolt holes wouldnt line up either...beleive me i thought about it,but then i dunno if i could bring myself to try to mod new wilwood calipers lol...

The D52 calipers were used on early GM models, then on later large body models. The '84-'87 g-body's use the metric caliper. Which is substantially smaller then the D52 caliper. Note that Wilwood does sell a variety of GM metric caliper replacements.

The D52 caliper is a work horse. Used on many vehicles, has a large pad, and a large piston for plenty of clamping force. The only downside is the weight. Which the Wilwood aluminum D52 alleviates.

Oh, lots' of different pads are also available. Which allows one to tailor the pad to the application.

But they just don't fit in place of the GN metric caliper. Which is smaller, has a smaller piston diameter, uses a smaller diameter rotor, and a smaller pad.

The issue is that Summit lists too many vehicles for this caliper that they don't fit. Maybe some day after they get a 50%+ return rate they will figure it out...

RemoveBeforeFlight

Yea i was on wilwood website and the replacements for our calipers are light and cool and cheap at $90 but they were only single piston...