Windows 8 USB Issue

huntsg

Just recently got a FAST XFI. I have a dell XPS running Windows 8 and everything was working fine for about a week. Now when I try to connect to the ECU I get a comm error and there is an exclamation point in the device manager. I've reinstalled the drivers and the CCOM software with no luck. If I pull out my MAC running VMWare and Windows XP it works fine. Any idea why the Windows 8 machine used to work and doesn't now? Thanks.

Just recently got a FAST XFI. I have a dell XPS running Windows 8 and everything was working fine for about a week. Now when I try to connect to the ECU I get a comm error and there is an exclamation point in the device manager. I've reinstalled the drivers and the CCOM software with no luck. If I pull out my MAC running VMWare and Windows XP it works fine. Any idea why the Windows 8 machine used to work and doesn't now? Thanks.

IS the yellow exclamation point still there ? DO the USB port settings and CCOM com ports match up ?

It is still there and the com ports match.

So there is an issue with the Windows USB driver ... right click on the one with the yellow exclamation.. choose uninstall.. then right click again and SCAN for HARDWARE changes.. let it reinstall the USB driver.. once the exclamation is gone your CCOM should work if the ports match

Thanks. That got me started in the right direction. I had to right click, uninstall drivers and click the check box for permanently remove drivers. After that when I scanned for new hardware and let it install the drivers it worked.

Thanks. That got me started in the right direction. I had to right click, uninstall drivers and click the check box for permanently remove drivers. After that when I scanned for new hardware and let it install the drivers it worked.

Glad I could help .. Windows 8 sux ... I fought with it for a few hours before I got all my datalogging equipment to work on it.. XP was the last real friendly OS to use .

I just had a very similar problem this weekend but with Windows 7. I had just finished downloading the newest version (XFI 2.0) in my new laptop and I couldn't get it to communicate with the FAST in the car. It took a while but we eventually found out that the problem was because the drivers for the usb cable which connects to the ecu were not installed. Once that fixed, everything worked fine. Problem solved. ;)

Claude. :)

This is still an issue for me! Over the last month I have had to uninstall and reinstall the driver every other day (seriously) in order to get the XFI to communicate with my computer. Now I can't even get my Windows 8 machine to communicate with the XFI at all. When I try to reload the driver it always comes up with the exclamation point in the device manager and a coms error when I try to connect. The XFI will work on my Mac running windows XP, but I would like to get it running on the windows 8 machine. Anybody have any ideas?

This is still an issue for me! Over the last month I have had to uninstall and reinstall the driver every other day (seriously) in order to get the XFI to communicate with my computer. Now I can't even get my Windows 8 machine to communicate with the XFI at all. When I try to reload the driver it always comes up with the exclamation point in the device manager and a coms error when I try to connect. The XFI will work on my Mac running windows XP, but I would like to get it running on the windows 8 machine. Anybody have any ideas?

try another COM PORT / USB port ... are you using a serial convertor ? that maybe the culprit ...

I have it working fine on Windows 8.1 .. a lot better than on 8 ... Easiest thing is to run XP on a older machine and just dedicate that for the XFI .. I finally did this on a old Toughbook and just leave it in the car. lastest SP of XP and Toughbook gives me touchscreen and does everything I need it to.

I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro. I've tried the other Com port with no success. I'm using the serial converter that came with the XFI. I figure it is good since it will work with the XP machine. I'd rather not use the XP machine (I know I can get it to work). I think the XFI should work with the latest versions of Windows.

It realized it was hook up to a TR. Now it's evil too

I may have figured it out. I had to uninstall every USB device in the device manager and then do a scan for hardware. Working so far...

I may have figured it out. I had to uninstall every USB device in the device manager and then do a scan for hardware. Working so far...

One word: WEIRD.
NE 1 have an explanation? I'm considering a new lt, and would like for it to work!:smuggrin:

For what it's worth, I upgraded to Windows 10 on my laptop and have had no issues so far. Seems to work great.