windshield leak

stickybones

What?
Can a windshield be resealed without removing it and reinstalling? Mine leaks...sometimes...when it sits out in the rain. It'll drip inside right above the steering wheel. Tried to locate the point of entry but couldn't find it. Tried to reseal it myself, but it didn't work. Visited an autoglass place and they said they'd have to remove the windshield and reinstall it. That wouldn't be bad except they said they might end up breaking the windshield in the process. I said no way. There's got to be a better way...or a better shop. I don't want to risk breaking and having to replace the windshield just to seal a pin hole leak somewhere. Any suggestions? Could a "more competent" shop seal it successfully? Anyone know of a spray silicone (something like a shoe waterproof spray) thay I could spray around the windshield that would find and seal any tiny holes?

Most likely a shop would have to pull it to fix it right. And, if it gets pulled there is a good chance it will break, no matter which shop you go to.
You can pull off the trim around the windsheild on the outside with a special tool. From there you might be better able to see where it is coming through, and use some black silicone to seal it up.
Also, have you tried removing the inside trim?
Just have someone spray a little water over certain areas at a time, and see when it leaks, that will give you a better idea where to start.

I pulled the outside trim off and did do the silicone thing to try to reseal it, but I must have missed the hole since it still leaks. That's why I thought of using a spray silicone to better reach all the little nocks and crannies.

What about that rubber like crap they sell that you use to spray into the bed of pickup to act as a bed liner?

As for the inside trim, I couldn't figure out how to remove it.:confused: The A-pillar covers are in the way and I don't know how the trim across the top inside of the windshield is attached.

Here are some tips and strategy:

To remove the trim, start with whichever side trim piece has the most play. Gently lift the windshield trim about 1/16 of an inch to allow the trim tool enough access to be used to release each retainer for the trim piece. Be carefull when lifting the trim piece not to catch the edge of the windshield with the trim tool because there is a potential for cracking the windshield. The most common tool allows you to pry the retainer away from the trim piece to release the trim. Once you have the first piece off, you can more easily see how the retainers work and the other pieces will come off rather easily.

As far as removing your windshield and replacing to reseal:

Chances are the adhesive from 15 years ago is releasing in enough places that the windshield may come out pretty easily. This is also the reason that additional adhesive will probably not adequately seal your leak.

As far as potential for cracking the windshield:

You might get 5 windshields in a row out with no problems, but on any given day, there might already be a stress crack that only needs the slightest help to turn into a large crack and a ruined windshield.

Maybe the best plan is to try to remove the windshield yourself, but understand that it might crack along the way. If you can successfully remove the windshield, your costs are about $10 for materials to reinstall and seal the windshield. If you fail, replacement windshields generally run about $130 installed. Good Luck.

Here in Florida, if you have insurance, a new windshield is no charge - insurance covers it, if it cracks.
My son bashed his head on the mirror & cracked the windshield - he was jumpping from one seat to the other.
I recommend you be near a good body shop. I was at the time working at the local Cadillac dealership. It took almost all day for them to repair the rot holes in the windshield frame, but it don't leak antmore.