Wing emblem trademark??

2QUIK6

Turbo Milk Jug displacmnt
Ok, I've seen some of the wing emblems that go down behind the front wheels for sale and it says "Original GM emblem, they have the "R" trademarking on them ???
Mine on my T-top car do not have the "R" trademark and they are the originals that were on the car over 10 years ago before the Carmotorsports dups were made.
I received some with my hardtop car in GM/Delco packaging and they do have the "R" on them.

What's the scoop on this?

Have the original indy wing emblem on my car and it does not have the R on it. Also have another indy wing emblem from a car with less than 10,000 miles on it and it does not have the R either. Until someone can prove it is suppose to have the R , i really doubt it being there.:cool:

Maybe in 89' they werent too worried about protecting against people reproducing and profiting on the logos ... and since then have changed their minds? ---

Maybe in 89' they werent too worried about protecting against people reproducing and profiting on the logos ... and since then have changed their minds? ---
I thought all of the emblems were made by one little jeweler back in '89 then no more "official" GM ones were produced, and only the Carmotorsports are the only ones that have duplicated them since and that was only recently.

Ok, I've seen some of the wing emblems that go down behind the front wheels for sale and it says "Original GM emblem, they have the "R" trademarking on them ???
Mine on my T-top car do not have the "R" trademark and they are the originals that were on the car over 10 years ago before the Carmotorsports dups were made.
I received some with my hardtop car in GM/Delco packaging and they do have the "R" on them.

What's the scoop on this?

Hi Rob,

I'm not sure which badge you are refering to but, if it's the indy wings on the front rocker pannel they would be the only one's that would have a logo, trade mark. Those are indy licensed not pontiac. It only makes sense that indy would require that. There is another producer of all the badging PW Distribution. He was in competition with CAR. He was selling his for almost 1/3 of CAR and is still in buisness. The original badges start looking bad after a short period of
time. The reason is the gold plating is only 30 to 40 thousands of an in thick. Just the wind will degrade it, not to mention wasing and waxing the car.

Hi Rob,

I'm not sure which badge you are refering to but, if it's the indy wings on the front rocker pannel they would be the only one's that would have a logo, trade mark. Those are indy licensed not pontiac. It only makes sense that indy would require that. There is another producer of all the badging PW Distribution. He was in competition with CAR. He was selling his for almost 1/3 of CAR and is still in buisness. The original badges start looking bad after a short period of
time. The reason is the gold plating is only 30 to 40 thousands of an in thick. Just the wind will degrade it, not to mention wasing and waxing the car.

Sorry guys! I missspoke. The gold plating is only 30 to 40 michrons, as in millionths of an in.

My original emblems do not have a trademark, nor does the extra set I bought from GM in 91.

93 Camaro pace cars have an Indy MS emblem as well - doesn't appear to have one either

pace_011jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg

My original emblems do not have a trademark, nor does the extra set I bought from GM in 91.

93 Camaro pace cars have an Indy MS emblem as well - doesn't appear to have one either

pace_011jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg

Hi Frank,

I've checked both after market indy wings and turbo ta badges I have and niether have a trade mark on them. I know Rich and as the Brits say, he was spot on with the CAR badges so, it's very unlikely he missed a trade mark. I don't remember seeing any trade mark on my originals but I have very serious CRS. I do think it could be possible that some of the 1st cars produced may have a trade mark but, I don't understand why it would be an R. Besides, the wings are a trade mark.

I can digg out photos of original GM (sold at the parts counter) that do have the R ... I got one somewhere myself.

None of the aftermarket emblems do have it.

And all TTA's I've seen don't have the R so at some point GM had to add the R to the ones they sold over the parts counter but not sure when this happened ...

If all emblems where made at the mom and pop shop or if GM changed supplier in the 90's and then added the R (most likely a requirement from the guys @ Indy) who knows.

I can digg out photos of original GM (sold at the parts counter) that do have the R ... I got one somewhere myself.

None of the aftermarket emblems do have it.

And all TTA's I've seen don't have the R so at some point GM had to add the R to the ones they sold over the parts counter but not sure when this happened ...

If all emblems where made at the mom and pop shop or if GM changed supplier in the 90's and then added the R (most likely a requirement from the guys @ Indy) who knows.

This would makes sense, since I and others here have the original badges or are 1 owners and don't have the "R" and then the GM packaged ones I have that did not come with the car have the "R".... My cars are really super low#, but are in the lower half at 426 and 486. But Frank who posted above is the original owner of #1231 and it does not have the "R", so it had to only be over the counter sold badges if thats it.

My second set was purchased from the dealer in ~1991 - came in paper packaged GM envelopes - no "R"

Here's an "R" version

1989 TURBO TRANS AM - ROCKER PANEL EMBLEM - ORIGINAL - eBay (item 360235371942 end time Jan-11-11 04:19:48 PST)

Check out the comments-
The wing emblem has the "circled R" trademark located underneath the two Es' in the word speedway. Only the originals have this trademark. If you want to "show" your car, this is very important!!!

What a load of BS :rolleyes:

Check out the comments-
The wing emblem has the "circled R" trademark located underneath the two Es' in the word speedway. Only the originals have this trademark. If you want to "show" your car, this is very important!!!

What a load of BS :rolleyes:

Hi Frank,

Call me Irish and not the brightest bulb on the tree but, I really don't understand this post? I'm in no way trying to offend but, what are you saying here? You said that you have 2 original sets of these badges with NO trade mark but your post here seems to indicate differently. I really don't give a s@#$ cause my car became politicly uncorrect a long time ago but I am curious. Could you please simply explain to me what you are saying? I'm confused by the difference in your 2 posts. Hey! I'm cool either way.

Hi Frank,

Call me Irish and not the brightest bulb on the tree but, I really don't understand this post? I'm in no way trying to offend but, what are you saying here? You said that you have 2 original sets of these badges with NO trade mark but your post here seems to indicate differently. I really don't give a s@#$ cause my car became politicly uncorrect a long time ago but I am curious. Could you please simply explain to me what you are saying? I'm confused by the difference in your 2 posts. Hey! I'm cool either way.

Did you notice that he was just QUOTING the advertiser selling those "r" version wings on Ebay?

I can't speak for him, but as I understand his post he was simply saying that the "r" on the wing isn't a necessary indication of an original and therefore not necessary for those wanting to show their cars in original condition.

Sounds pretty clear.. The original emblems did not have an R. Mine didnt either.

At some point emblems sold through the parts counter at a GM dealer appeared with an R on them. The repro guys cloned the R version emblem. Since the repro guys didnt have a real TTA to look at.

So the add on Ebay is full of hog wash stating only originals had the R on them.

HTH

Sounds pretty clear.. The original emblems did not have an R. Mine didnt either.

At some point emblems sold through the parts counter at a GM dealer appeared with an R on them. The repro guys cloned the R version emblem. Since the repro guys didnt have a real TTA to look at.

So the add on Ebay is full of hog wash stating only originals had the R on them.

HTH

Thanks Julio,

It wasn't clear to me. Kinda cloudy actually. I guess ya'll are used to communicating with each other this way.

Did you notice that he was just QUOTING the advertiser selling those "r" version wings on Ebay?

I can't speak for him, but as I understand his post he was simply saying that the "r" on the wing isn't a necessary indication of an original and therefore not necessary for those wanting to show their cars in original condition.

YES! I noticed. It just was'nt clear to me so I politely ask HIM, NOT YOU! If you can't speak for him, why did you?

Note that none of the reproductions have the R ..

CAR Motorsports:
CAR Motorsports: Turbo Trans Am Indy Wing, Turbo Trans Am Cloisonne' Emblems

PW Distribution (Australia):
PW Distribution

So both (and the only reproductions out there as both supply many of the 3rd Gen parts places like Classic Industries, Hawks etc) are correct reproductions (with out the R) as our TTAs came from the factory.

And some info on TM vs R ....

Any time you claim rights in a trademark, you may use the "TM" (trademark on goods) or "SM" (service mark) designation to alert the public to your claim, regardless of whether you have filed an application with the state or USPTO. However, you may use the federal registration symbol "®" only after the federal USPTO actually issues a registration, and not while an application is pending or after registration expires. Also, you may use the registration symbol with the registered mark only on or in connection with the goods and/or services listed in the federal trademark registration. Any major change to the mark or the goods/services will require another registration. Federal registrations require periodic maintenance fees (i.e., every 10 years).

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_t...and_Copyright_'C'_in_the_circle#ixzz1ANMbL7KD

YES! I noticed. It just was'nt clear to me so I politely ask HIM, NOT YOU! If you can't speak for him, why did you?

Well Frank, I didn't know if he might die before he had the opportunity to respond to your questions and I didn't want a nice Irish Texan such as yourself to have to live with this type of nagging question being unanswered.

You can thank me later:biggrin: