You can type here any text you want

Wiring up a Fast B2B to a 7AL2 Plus?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

XXQUICK6XX

I'm doing a distributor conversion on my car and I have Cals jumpers for the cam sensor and the ignition installed. Dropped in the distributor at 25" or at least close until I start it and hit it with a timing light. I'm running a BHJ balancer and have been reading on the interupter rings hopefully I wont have to take mine off to get it re indexed. Questions are where do I get the ignition signal from and is there any changes needed to be done in my fast program? Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

Trying to go on the Dyno saturday.

Make sure you have the distributor at 25 BTDC and NOT at 25 ATDC. The crank signal comes into the FAST through the adaptor plug. The points output comes out of the FAST (pin X3) and triggers the MSD.

On the MSD you wil need to hook up Power, Ground, 12 volt switched, the Points input and the two wires out to the coil. Nothing needs to be attached to the crank/mag input of the MSD.

There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding the indexing of the crank trigger. The crank trigger does NOT have to be moved to switch to a distributor. If you are purchasing a new balancer and have an XFI we recommend reindexing it to 50BTDC. On all other applications we recommend leaving it in the stock location.

Also keep in mind that if you are running a B2B FAST you don't have to grind off the reluctors in the distributor and don't need to plug it into the cam plug. Just plug in our adaptor and run the wires to the MSD.

On sequential systems, you will need to leave the tab that comes in AFTER the #1 crank signal on classic systems. With the XFI it doesn't matter which tab you leave since the cam sync is programable the XFI.

Give me a call if you have any other questions.

If your 7al does not have a start retard and I'm sure it doesn't, you'll need to go into the timing table and change your timing to around 10* at 0 MAP. This is the one thing I forgot and it broke the nose off of the starter due to the motor kicking back.

Thanks

Thanks for the info guy's, And Cal that means just leave the two wire end of the adapter plug that plugs into the cam sensor plug un hooked and don't need to be ran anywhere if I understand you correctly. And thanks for the heads up on the timing Dusty. It's pry going to be a all niter friday nite. Also somebody called me about drilling a 1/8 hole in my thermostat something about radiator hoses? Getting a little big.

Steve:cool:

If your 7al does not have a start retard and I'm sure it doesn't, you'll need to go into the timing table and change your timing to around 10* at 0 MAP. This is the one thing I forgot and it broke the nose off of the starter due to the motor kicking back.

Good tip. My starter nose broke off in BG last year because of this.

Help

Where can I find the female terminals for the fast plug. I found out my harness didn't have the white wire in hole x-3 for points output for the 7AL2 plus. so I couldn't get it finished but when I get it together will hit the dyno before the track next week end.

Steve

Give me a call tomorrow, and I'll send you one with the white wire attached

I got the white wire from John but no spark. I think every thing is wired up right. do I have to go into the program to get spark or ign. strategy?

Steve

Give Cal a call. Sounds like your white wire isn't enable in that box. Not all boxes are set up for IPU ignition.

I don't have a laptop in front of me. Go to both of the ecu configuration screens and see if you can select IPU ignition.

Couple of things you need to check:

Are you seeing rpm on your FAST dashboard?

No. Call me, so we can trouble shoot your engine harness.
Yes. Quickly tap the white points wire to ground. Does the coil fire?

No. Check the wiring of your MSD
Yes. You are going to have to get with me so I can tell you how to modify your FAST box.

On a few of the older boxes FAST didn't enable the Points output if it was being used on a Buick (CCCI didn't need it). Later they decided to enable the Points output of all the boxes. If your box is one of these early box's, you are going to have to unscrew the cover off the back and bridge a circuit inside.

BTW: I am away this weekend (HAD to tune a BS3 and then a mini-vacation) and don't have email access. I will be checking the internet occasionally.

Hey Cal,
I got my box before they changed the name to fast. If you would please let me know which circuit to jump in the box and I'll check it. Thanks for the help you guy's and great info.

Steve

I tapped the white terminal to groung and got spark and it lit the led on the 7AL2 Plus. I'm pretty sure I put my white wire in the correct terminal in the harness.

Steve

I tapped the white terminal to groung and got spark and it lit the led on the 7AL2 Plus. I'm pretty sure I put my white wire in the correct terminal in the harness.

Steve

OK, this means your MSD system is good and the problem is most likely the white wire not enabled in FAST. The white wire grounds the coil. Because it works manually you can be 99% sure FAST is not grounding the wire and the box will need to be modified.

The dashboard is showing 150 rpm while cranking. So I guess the crank sensor is doing its job.

Steve

Yes, the rpm means you are getting a crank signal. The problem sounds like it's inside the FAST box. The fix is to solder a wire across the board, Cal knows which one. What has to happen is the box grounds the white wire and that fires the coil. Without the board fixed you won't get the coil to fire.

Thank you very much!

I don't know where to start this. I owe a great big thanks to Cal Hartline for working so hard to get me running from so far away. With my fast system its delightful that he helped me around my goofy work schedule. Your very patient and insightful with us novice users. And thanks to Holly to for putting up me intruding on your mini vacation. Just got to get my torque in to get it tightened up. 300 rpm drop is not cutting it on the 2-3 shift.

I just can't say thanks enough.except looking forward to seeing both of you in Bowling Green.

Steve Pitts :biggrin: :D :smile:

Thanks Steve. I'm glad you got it running. Please stop by our tents at Bowling Green and say hello.

Back