Working bugs out at track

86gnminnesota

I ran 1/4 mile couple weeks ago and could only get 14.20 at 94 mph, car was bucking/surging after 50 mph under load, only running 14 lbs boost, any more and seemed like spark was weak or fuel pressure dying. Changed plug wires and sure enough, had bad plug wire on passenger side rear cylinder. Just went to Rock Falls Raceway in WI today with new plugs/wires and ran a best of 12.73 at 109.79 on only 16 lbs boost, 83 degrees air temp, humid, 2.08 60 ft times. I'm going to change plug wires beginning every season now, for $30.00 new plug wires can make a huge difference!

86 GN, TT 92 octane chip, Dutt neck stock intercooler, 40#inj, TE62 turbo.

I run MSD wires for the fact they have the least resistance per foot, but with all spark plug wires, please make sure you dont let any of them arch to any metal or they will ground out and wear thru a spot in the wire.

I take a zip tie, go around the set of wires loosley , then run a smaller tie between each wire around the first larger zip tie.

Its like having a wire mount, but for everyone one you do, you make sure the wire is set in stone.

You should make sure each wire does not touch ground.

BW

Thx for the advice, was really frustrating to run roughly in the 14's couple weeks back, thought there was something seriously wrong in the engine. Was a huge relief that simple plug wire change added 1.5 secs in the quarter. I will definitely try that with the zip ties!

Copy of timeslip, any suggestions on what could be improved on besides 60 ft times? My car right lane on timeslip, car#9966.

Attachments

• dres baseball june 2010, rock falls raceway, 6.28.10 basaball 068.jpg
    dres baseball june 2010, rock falls raceway, 6.28.10 basaball 068.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 237
Might want to head up to Brainerd this weekend, there's some guys up there that might have a few ideas for you.