Worst Saturday I've had in long time

You're in the heart of machine shop country. Please go to all the machine shops and tell the seasoned old machinist they are doing it all wrong and tell them how to do it correctly. And have a friend tape the interaction for us.
We,re not talking about machining processes. We're talking about correct mathematics terminology. Please go to a mathematician and tell him he is pronouncing it all wrong. If you would like to get some video of that conversation,feel free.

No problem. I'll take on a puny nerdy math professor any day of the week versus a grissled old machinist.

My mistake I thought we were talking machining processes here. I missed where we changed the subject to fruit. So, is a tomato fruit or a vegetable?

Last edited:
No problem. I'll take on a puny nerdy math professor any day of the week versus a grissled old machinist.
If we beat up the mathematician,does it prove he's wrong? Is that how we arrive at the truth?

I admit defeat. From this day forward I will never refer to .0001 as a tenth. It will now be know as one hundred micro inches.

ok, i'll jump in too....

a "tenth" is not anything.... its a part of something. What it "usually means" depends on who you are talking to.

when talking to a machinist, or about machined engine parts, a "tenth" is assumed to be .0001 inch, just like a "thou" would be interpreted as a "thousandth of an inch", not a thousand inches..

say a "tenth" at a race track, and it is assumed to mean .1 second. (or it could mean that 9 guys finished before you)

since we were talking about connecting rod bearings, wrist pins, etc. the nomenclature was valid.

i could go on, but this thread has gotten really far off track.

apologies to the original poster, I am very interested in the outcome of the analysis of the failed rod. (does anyone need clarification that I am referring to a "connecting rod"....?)

Back under my rock....

Bob

If we beat up the mathematician,does it prove he's wrong? Is that how we arrive at the truth?

The horse is beyond dead and you have completely derailed this thread. All to prove what? That every machinist and engine builder in this country is using the wrong wording by shortening it?

I'm simply correct.

You are by far the smartest and most insightful member of this forum. I'm glad you could set the record straight for all of the knuckle draggers that couldn't rise to you level of understanding. Maybe you should devote your efforts to ending world hunger or poverty rather than pontificating to the unwashed masses of Turbo Buick enthusiasts that frequent this board. Do us a favor and pour yourself a big cup of STFU.

Neal

Easy fellas, no sense in getting too upset and shutting down an informative thread. I know I learned somethings. Every industry has its ins and outs. The learning of them is part of the induction process.
I just hope the next build goes better and lasts longer no matter what measurement is used.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Did you notice how Richard Clark did not spend one second responding to this. Guess why.

Michael

I have been in the manufacturing business for 15+ years and worked at various different machine shops. I am considered a classified machinist myself, but I do not practice this line of work anymore. I am a full time student (engineering) and have lots of "math" under my belt. With that said......TurboBob (Bob Bailey) wrote exactly what I was going to write and he is dead on. End of debate. Its Kinda embarrassing to those watching.

Richard actually did respond along with several other knowledgeable people. It's just a shame that it went this far. It's crap like this that has ran off many respected members.

Im a machinist myself and it doesnt matter what he says or abbreviates his measurements in as long as he knows the difference between the two himself. Know lets get back on topic or ill start converting standard to metric measurments and really confuse you:banghead:

Now, now... no reason to bring 'mills' into the mix :)

Because every mathematician knows that a 'mill' means a milling machine. LOL