Worth $6,000? Or did i get ripped off? =\

repairs

Look at what KevinB posted and do all the easy stuff w/ your dad. Then ask around and find a good local mechanic to do the rear main seal and the front end job. Ask him if you can hang out and watch or help out, you will learn alot. There's a lot of shade tree mechanics that can do this type of labor for cheap. Also there are so many car dealerships going out of business, mechanics out of work these days, shouldn't be too hard to find someone.

You have a list nine miles long.......:eek:

Take this little bit of advise.

Do you know how to eat a elephant?

One bite at a time........:smile:

This may be taken wrong.............. but here goes.

Despite your young age........ if you are not capable of working on a car, then why would you own one of these cars to begin with? 20 yr old cars are going to need maintenance items which is pretty much what your entire list consists of. Sounds like you should sell it and go out and buy a brand new car so you can put gas in it and turn a key and go.:eek:

So whats my point?:D It is that obviously you like these cars............ right? So you need to show the initiative to want to work on, learn about, improve, etc your car. Dont be scared to mess something up............. you learn how to do things by doing them. You have a message board here in which everybody helps each other on these cars. If you dont know just ask. You could search for days on this board and soak up a ton of info. Get out there and start wrenching. Otherwise............ seriously.......... sell the car.............

RANT OFF LOL

Id say you got a decent deal.................

Take you time, don't get in a hurry! Kevin is right about his assesment, most of what you have on there is not too bad, can be done with minor research and mechanical skills.

Do yourself a favor right now, find the best TR guys around your area and start asking questions. Owning these cars is all about the relationships you build in the buick community. I couldn't imagine trying to own one and not having people that will help. Also, come to Bowling Green this year, it will really help give you some ideas and perspective on the car as well as getting to meet a bunch of buick nuts!!!

Take you time, don't get in a hurry! Kevin is right about his assesment, most of what you have on there is not too bad, can be done with minor research and mechanical skills.

Do yourself a favor right now, find the best TR guys around your area and start asking questions. Owning these cars is all about the relationships you build in the buick community. I couldn't imagine trying to own one and not having people that will help. Also, come to Bowling Green this year, it will really help give you some ideas and perspective on the car as well as getting to meet a bunch of buick nuts!!!

Yeah, I was his age when i got my TR. I didn't know much about cars and my dad was also worthless when it came time to work on vehicles. After getting hosed on a $400 rear brake job, I told myself "never again" lol.

Spend the day and read every tech article on GNTType.org Turbo Buick Technical Articles and Resources (Technical Archives)

That's what I did. If it wasn't for that page back in '97...I would have probably followed my buddies and got into Hondas and Mustangs or something:eek:

join the MAGNA club and ask for the doctor you will be in good hands:D

go to turbobuicks.com and check the MAGNA club.

Yea what Carmello has told you go check out the Magna section the good doctor Paulie could help on some of the stuff he goes by pacecarta

Fixing the radio

GNattyKid...

Are you going to use the stock radio or put in an aftermarket one?

PM me.

I may have an option for you.

Pete.

Sounds like a pretty good purchase. Are you sure all the problems that were told to you are legit. I guess it depends on how much you trust the garage or mechanic. Let's see some pics.

yea im pretty sure those problems are legit, and i know without a doubt all the interior work it will need. Im just gunna have to tackle it one step at a time.

I have to agree with some of the input above. You need to be able to work on your own car or be independently wealthy because labor costs money!

Do yourself a favor. Before you buy anything else, go onto ebay and spend a few bucks on buying the factory service manuals. There's 2 of them. Make sure you have a decent set of basic "good quality" tools, floor jack, jack stands (4) basics, basics, basics.

After you have all the basics stocked up in the garage, start shopping for all the parts you think you will need. There are many online vendors that supply parts for these cars. Some are listed at the bottom of this website. I'll send you a few others via PM. Also check out the for sale section here- If you shoparound you can find lots of parts fairly cheap (stock turbo for $100 or less, etc...)

Also you will need to invest in a scan tool like the scanmaster in order to help you to get the car running right.

If you are unwilling or unable to do the basics, sell the car now while you can and buy somehting with a warranty because you will grow to hate this car if you cannot take care of her... (Ask us how we know:mad: ;) )

Sounds like a pretty good deal, Hey Im 19 years old now Is was 16 when I got my GN as my first car, Im pretty good at working on cars (mosly muscle cars) but I was clueless where to start with my GN, but alittle researching manuals and talking to the guys on this forum really helped me through it!! I bought my GN for 3,000 and all it needed was brakes,shocks,springs and exhaust, and a tune up. But now the motor has been rebuilt 2 or 3 times and everything in the car has almost been replaced. So hang in there and remember DONT be afraid to ask questions!!!! Its NEVER a stupid question!!!
And post some pics and so we can see what you bought.. Take Care Kevin

yea im pretty sure those problems are legit, and i know without a doubt all the interior work it will need. Im just gunna have to tackle it one step at a time.

i restored my t-type when i was younger than you in the late 90s.

you can do it if you want. my grandfather taught me a lot but his knowledge was mainly dirt track knowledge... sbc/bbc... carbs carbs carbs.

this sfi turbo car had him scratching his head a few times. where did i learn what i know about these cars? this community.

you think your car has issues?

front.jpg

interior.jpg

i *might* have $6,000 invested in that car (see link in sig) to this day. do everything you know how to now yourself and learn to do the things you dont know how.

my best advice is to LISTEN! ive been in this scene for over 10 years now and the guys that got me this far had been in the scene for 10+ years when i met them.

good luck.

sounds like someone else needs to look it over for you lots of (oh it needs that just because ) items surly it would go through inspection with much less and even a first day guy like yourself can install bolts and add/ move ground wires and do the hoses and such.

Get ahold of TurboTweak for a chip. Make a parts wanted post for most of those parts. Take the car to a tire shop and have them do your front end parts. Go to the parts store and buy a K+N style filter for $40. While your there, pick up and upper and lower radiator hose, plugs, wires, valve cover gaskets, fuel filter and water pump. Start from there for under $300 and get on the road. Change out your vacuum lines too. Thats cheap and easy and often overlooked but can have a huge impact on how the car runs. Most of this stuff is really simple and easily done by you and your dad and will be a good way to learn these cars. Good luck!

My honest opinion based on description: You paid an average price for an average car. Rust free GN that's all there and runs decent is worth $6k IMO. ALL the stuff they listed? Well it's 20+ years old and stuff needs fixing on a 20 year old car. Most of it sounds like it's not urgent and makes for good weekend projects. Most of those parts aren't expensive so as long as the car runs ok and steers/stops ok just drive it and work on it. Get some sort of anti theft or it will be gone next time it's in a parking lot unattended. When you get done with it you will have a car that you will know inside and out is done right and you won't have any more invested in it than any of us have in ours. Nice GN's aren't cheap. Basic supply and demand.

Other things: If the rear main is just seeping and not pouring oil out, DON'T mess with it. It's a poor design and most of them seep a little. Mine included. Also other leaks (like valve covers) can run down and make it seem worse than it is.

I have a set of factory service manuals and I don't think I've ever used them. Most any info you need can be found here under the search function.

Stock powermaster brake system has proven to be unreliable for most, unless meticulously maintained. Most swap to vacuum when the powermaster goes out due to the cost of replacement parts. Vacuum works just fine for me.

Get the stock tranny core if you can. They had a different calibration and are worth quite a bit of money, even if you have no plans to use it.

Just my opinions of course. We could all go on for hours about the ins and outs of these cars, the important thing is to read, read, and read some more.

yea, I'm in there with all the other guys, 6k isn't too bad considering the fact that these cars value is never goin to decrease...but still, throw some pics on here and let them do the talkin for ya, btw mine was a busted piece of crap when i got it lol and dont stress on it, you still got the car of your dreams right!? and really, your gonna love it for sure, NO ROOKIE MISTAKES when your drivin it;)

well, the parts came out to about $1,500 i basically doubled that for what it would cost w/ labor, i dont know how much the labor will be but heres a list of what needs to be done:

Replace Ignition Coil pack
Coil pack bracket missing bolt
Stock replacement turbo - rebuilt
Replace ECM prom chip
Replace IAC & gasket
Throttle body service
Replace upper radiator hose
Replace lower radiator hose
Replace water pump
Replace pass side oil breather and grommet
Replace both valve cover gaskets
Replace spark plugs and re route wires
Replace fuel filter
Relocate ground wire from water pump to cylinder head
Replace missing fuel line bracket bolt on timing cover
Air filter – K&N reusable includes mounting IAT sensor
Replace rear main seal
Rear main seal kit
Oil pan gasket
Oil
Oil filter
ZDDplus Zinc additive
Replace inner / outer tie rod ends with center sleeves
Inner tie rod end x 2 (moog)
Outer tie rod end x 2 (moog)
Center sleeve x 2 (moog)
Replace upper ball joints & upper control arm bushings
Upper ball joints (moog) x2
Upper control arm bushings x 2
Install 4 missing body bushings

And thats all together...i don't plan on doing everything at once

If your going to have a GN or any older car you need to learn to get your hands dirty if you have the Cash to just pay someone to do it then I guess its ok. I personally dont let anyone work on my cars unless its something I cant do. I.E. Trans or Rear end. Im 38 years old and my 1st car was a 78 Firebird with a blown (Not running) 305. My dad and I ripped the engine out re-did it and then Had the trans done. I learned as I went Ball joints Tie rods Brakes all the normal things that go bad on cars. I also did my 1st body work on the that car :) Id say dont be afraid and do the work your self. Save the money and learn about the car. These cars are really easy to work on compaired to many other newer cars. (Camaros and Firebirds come to mind lol) If dad dosent want to help get a good set of tools and start on your own. Tools you dont want to buy can be rented at Autozone and many other auto stores.
Heck you get to learn and save $$$ what could be better!
Just my .02 I was 14 when I got the firebird also :)
@ 38 I wish I had my 1st GN back (Was stolen in 1998) It was a driver I paid $6000 for it and it was a mess body wise tons of rust. I got that one in 1996 at age 26 years old. At the time I also had a 70 Chevelle 383 4 speed that went 11.80's on motor and mid to low 10's on Spray. and I did all the work on them my self. Cars trucks motorcycles ect. are a hobby enjoy it. If you hate it then maybe its not for you :)
Sorry this is book just tying to help a young guy out :)

My honest opinion based on description: You paid an average price for an average car. Rust free GN that's all there and runs decent is worth $6k IMO. ALL the stuff they listed? Well it's 20+ years old and stuff needs fixing on a 20 year old car. Most of it sounds like it's not urgent and makes for good weekend projects. Most of those parts aren't expensive so as long as the car runs ok and steers/stops ok just drive it and work on it. Get some sort of anti theft or it will be gone next time it's in a parking lot unattended. When you get done with it you will have a car that you will know inside and out is done right and you won't have any more invested in it than any of us have in ours. Nice GN's aren't cheap. Basic supply and demand.

Other things: If the rear main is just seeping and not pouring oil out, DON'T mess with it. It's a poor design and most of them seep a little. Mine included. Also other leaks (like valve covers) can run down and make it seem worse than it is.

I have a set of factory service manuals and I don't think I've ever used them. Most any info you need can be found here under the search function.

Stock powermaster brake system has proven to be unreliable for most, unless meticulously maintained. Most swap to vacuum when the powermaster goes out due to the cost of replacement parts. Vacuum works just fine for me.

Get the stock tranny core if you can. They had a different calibration and are worth quite a bit of money, even if you have no plans to use it.

Just my opinions of course. We could all go on for hours about the ins and outs of these cars, the important thing is to read, read, and read some more.

+1

Take that list and put in it order. If it needs wires, plugs, a basic tune up, I'd do that first. You might not need a coil pack. I would guess that you bought a car that's been sitting a long time and has 140K at least on the OD:confused: Rust free is the key. These cars are not the cheapest cars on the road. It will cost you money, if you don't have it, get out now. Otherwise you'll get hooked and then stop keeping track of the reciepts:rolleyes:

Go here and read:

Turbo Regal Web Site

My car was missing stuff when I got it, everything you need can be bought here or through a couple of vendors. See what transmission is in the car now, I fought with a KCF transmission and all kinds of issues. I replaced it with with BRF and it's a whole new car.

Replace Ignition Coil pack - ?
Coil pack bracket missing bolt - NBD (No Big Deal)
Stock replacement turbo - rebuilt - Does it smoke? Figure $500 for an upgrade used.
Replace ECM prom chip - Have to, based on todays rotten gas
Replace IAC & gasket - Clean it first
Throttle body service - ???
Replace upper radiator hose - Visual inspection will tell you
Replace lower radiator hose - Visual inspection will tell you
Replace water pump - Does it leak? $35.00
Replace pass side oil breather and grommet - NBD
Replace both valve cover gaskets - NBD
Replace spark plugs and re route wires - NBD
Replace fuel filter - A must
Relocate ground wire from water pump to cylinder head - ??
Replace missing fuel line bracket bolt on timing cover - NBD
Air filter – K&N reusable includes mounting IAT sensor - NBD
Replace rear main seal - A little more difficult, they all leak a little
Oil pan gasket - tighten the bolts first to buy you some time
Oil
Oil filter - NBD

If you don't have tools or knowhow, pay for this stuff below:

Replace inner / outer tie rod ends with center sleeves
Inner tie rod end x 2 (moog)
Outer tie rod end x 2 (moog)
Center sleeve x 2 (moog)
Replace upper ball joints & upper control arm bushings
Upper ball joints (moog) x2
Upper control arm bushings x 2
Install 4 missing body bushings

You will have to have a Scanmaster to see how it's running (Have to have)
I'd replace the Fuel Pump and install a hotwire kit.

Mine spent it's first summer on jack stands so that I could go over everything to make sure it was all OK. If the Power Master break unit works now, I'd sell it and take the money and buy vacumm break set up with new flexable lines (I'd guess they are bad too).

Expect your $6K car to be $10K before you know it. But even with a decent paint job, your still under $15K

And they will always need somthing:rolleyes:

My 2 cents:cool: