Xylene and Nitrous.

alex

Has any one ran Xylene/T.. while sprying?
I am planing to run 150 shot on 4.6 ford motor and was wondering if i can use Xylene as a octane booster.

Thanks! Alex

Sure Alex! Use up to a 30 percent mix, and you will get about 100 octane. Put in at least an ounce of marvel Mystery oil, for each gallon of the toulene added. Your fuel opump will thank you..:)

Good Luck! :)

Thanks Tim. Have you used it like that yourself. I ran galons of Xylene in my TR but not with nitrous. Just wondering if mixture can couse some bad reaction.

I've never used nitrous, but I don't know of any reason not to use an octane boost.

Baby steps with the 'nos' , and you will be fine. Learn all you can first..

Anounce is a hell of a lot of oil. I usually put in about a cap full. I mix 1/4 tank 93/94 with one gal. of Xylene though. Haven't had any probs and get absolutely no knock below 20+ psi....

Right, trading t/a an ounce is a 'hall of a lot of oil' :), and we know that if your turbo seal leaks hot oil into the intake the knock monster begins to appear since hot, vaporized oil has low octane.

One very good reason to limit the amount of oil in the gas.

I can't remember where I got the 1 ounce figure for, but I believe that it came from a petro chemist that used to post frequently on the board.

It's quite possible that a capfull is plenty, and that amount does indeed approximate the normal lube content in gasoline. Since I don't know for sure, I will continue to use an ounce until someone in that particular business tells me differently.

You will let us know if you lose your fuel pump in a couple months- right? :)

J/K you do bring up a good point. It would be great if someone could post some more on the subject...

Originally posted by alex
Has any one ran Xylene/T.. while sprying?
I am planing to run 150 shot on 4.6 ford motor and was wondering if i can use Xylene as a octane booster.

Thanks! Alex

Alex, I run Xylene from time to time in my Vette's sprayed stroker motor, with no ill effects. In fact Nitrous Express sent me a case of octane booster (which I would bet is Xylene or Toluene) w/my NOS kit. What you might want to consider is a timing retard set up for when the spray is on such as an MSD box.

Also, I have been told by those who should know that the 4.6 is marginal in stock configuration when sprayed or blown. (any motor w/stock bottom end/hyperutectic pistons for that matter) Another reason to think about a timing retard, and maybe you'll want to sneak up on the NOS, possibly starting w/the 75 hp pills and working up. Good luck..

Thanks John, this is exactly what i was looking for.
I will be runing a window switch and WOT switch.

Thanks again.
Alex