xylene

pnyxxpress

Ok... I'm new here and I have turbocharged 5.0. So please no bashing... I've read everything I can find on xylene. Needing to clarify a few things.. Looks like a good mixture is 3:1 and 2oz of MMO. Most have noted that it doesn't harm anything but a few have mentioned different.

It is safe for o2, but what about cats? And I have read a few post concerning the need to be on the watch for it to deteriate your rubber fuel lines.

Cold starts are hard??? Are we talking cold weather or just cold engine on a summer day?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated..
pnyxxpress

I tried it for the first time a month ago and the only thing that was different to me was cold starts.02's stay good. Other than that, I got 3psi more out of it. I will deffinetly do this again.

I got it from sherwin williams for $24.80 5gal.

Tell them you are a contractor and you need an account;)

If you get into using it a bit more, look in the yellow pages for industrial chemical supply wholesalers. I live in the oil patch and Xylene is used on the rigs. I get it for about $6 USD a gallon.

Whether or not MMO is required is debatable. Some people question the wisdom of putting oil in the fuel system (but then more question the wisdom of putting paint thinner in when I tell them what I'm up to ;) ). 2:1 is the generally-accepted maximum ratio. Personally I'd run MMO at that ratio, but lower than 3:1 or so I leave it out.

It is good stuff. Not race gas, and apparently not as good as alky though. But good stuff nonetheless. Just be careful not to get it on your paint. That would be a bad thing...

I wouldn't bash anyone with a Ford Mudstain. :D
Hey man, if you're turbo'd...welcome home!!! We accept all types, even rice burners. There is no hate here on this board.

As far as the Xylene question:
Use it, tune to it, master it. At times it can be more convenient to locate than race gas. And if purchased in a 5 gal bucket...cheaper. I happen to be an old, no longer practicing, painting contractor with an account at every major paint store in town. I encourage you to do the same. A 5 gal. runs me between $21 and $23, sometimes cheaper if they're overstocked.

As far as for the 02 sensor:
Most Xylene will have octane ratings from 116 to 118 (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but it's the lower lead content that keeps us using it. Making it safer on the sensor. C16 is closer to 6 grams of lead per gallon (if I remember correctly), and that's what keeps the dealerships and parts stores yearning for our business.

HTH
Erik

Damn, wish I could get it for that cheap, I need to become a contractor. I paid 35.00 for 5 gals at Sherwin Williams.:(

Replacing rubber lines

Even with 3 to 1 mix, and MMO the hoses still dry out? is there any typ of hose we can substitute ours for, so we don' have to keep changing them
Thanks, Nick

You guys with superchargers and turbos should really look at an alky injection kit. For $300 I gained well over 100 hp. I went from running 15 lbs of boost on 93 octane to 25 lbs of boost and upped the timing 6*. The xylene is cool, i did it for about 6 months, but it gets to be a hassle and gets expensive quick. The bad thing is that you are burning it up while setting at the stoplight or cruising at 60mph. With the alky injection you only use it when your foot hits the floor. It takes about 1 hour to install and 10 minutes to get it tuned good enough to put a big smile on your face.

Xylenes, toluene, water, methanol, ethanol, propanol, and MTBE are all completely safe for the O2 sensor and cat. Can't comment on the cold start question except to say that with fuel injection I don't expect it to be an issue since that isn't anywhere near as sensitive as a carb is to fuel volatility.

Ok where can I find out more about alky injection. And the same questions apply. What about the 02 sensors and cats...

pnyxxpress:confused:

Gentlemen

Look in your yellow pages under "industrial supply". I pay $19.00 for 5 gallons of xylene here in Tampa. Stay away from the paint stores. - BB

Originally posted by pnyxxpress
And the same questions apply. What about the 02 sensors and cats...

pnyxxpress:confused:

Um, the methanol, ethanol, and propanol that I mentioned ARE the alcohols you want to inject - they are safe for O2 sensors and cats.

Russell hoses

Just got off the phone, with a tech from Russell hoses. He said that he uses Methaol in his car, with there proflex hoses with no problems. Can we use the proflex hoses in our cars, with zylene? Which is more corrosive?
Thanks, Nick

You hoses handle gasoline. xylene already is a major component of gasoline. Your just increasing the concentration.

I would confirm there is a problem of xylene and hoses before changing them. You would have to run a lot of xylene, for a very long time before you would have to worry, IMO.

Someone on the board stated, that if you run Zylene all the time you would have to change your hoses,alot more. I don't know if that is true or not. Would like to have more people chime in, so everybody would know for sure.
Thanks, Nick

I ran Xylene for the first time the other night at the track. Maybe it was just a coincidence, but my O2 sensor went out on me on about my 5th run. O2s wouldn't get close to 100 mV and it set a code ( 44..running lean ) in my computer. I added 5 gallons of Xylene and my fuel gauge showed a full tank afterwards, so I know it wasn't too much of a mixture. Like I said though.....maybe it was just coincidence.