You know you have the wrong convertor when...

ALBERTAN

Resident Window Licker
This will be a fairly long post. Those with experience can get a chuckle. The rest can hopefully learn something from it.

My car ran 13.0 @ 107 last Fall as a peg leg that was all stock except for a V4. Not stellar but solid for a car running at altitude with 2.0 60's. Anyways, over the winter I completed quite a few modifications which can be seen here . A good friend and GM service tech beefed up my tranny using all Bruce's parts (thanks Bruce ;)) and a convertor ordered from TCS up here in Canada (apparently not the same company as in the States according to some threads I have read). I talked to several friends with more knowledge in this area than myself and we decided on a 3500 stall for my application. I cannot talk to the guy who ordered the convertor right now as he is at the SyTy Nationals in Kansas City. But I have to assume he gave TCS good, solid information regarding my build and the expected power levels...he is a SyTy owner and a fellow Buick fan.

I put the car together and worked out a few bugs with the car. This is by far the most powerful auto I have owned so this is virgin territory for me and I didn't know what to expect. The car certainly isn't as smooth as the stock setup was, but I expected to lose some comfort with a fairly whizzy build. The car is very driveable on the street although it shifts a bit late like the TV needs adjusting even though its been done. I think it also has a bit of shudder from the convertor, but again not knowing what I am looking for I could be wrong. Another friend/Buick owner who has helped me a lot with the work on the car summed it up well. It's an awesome car but I don't think that convertor is for me. Meanwhile *his* good friend, yet another turbo Buick owner and a tranny guy by profession is telling him a 3500 stall convertor would be the hot ticket for his car. lol.

A few weeks ago I took the car to the track and ran it WOT for the first time. I was happy to see the car run a 12.2 @ 113 the first time down the track without a boost launch. Then things got interesting. I started adding to the base timing on the translator. By the end of the day I had advanced base timing 10 degrees. The result? Nothing. The car ran 12.2 - 12.5 all day long no matter what I did to it. I locked the convertor once and saw the boost drop from 26 to 21 psi. It felt like it *really* lugged the car and I thought for sure I was going to get a slower timeslip. But it was the same 12.5 as the rest. I really didn't like the feel of the car locking the convertor manually so I left it the rest of the day. Tired and frustrated that my car was running the same ET all day long despite numerous significant changes, I decided to finally put the boots to it so to speak. I pulled up to the line and did a boost launch with it. I do not recall the exact psi I left at. In retrospect it couldn't have been much (if any but I'll get to that soon). The car *instantly* bounced off the rev limiter. In one of those moments of poor judgement we are sometimes subject to in the heat of the moment I kept my foot in it and bounced off the limiter again on the 2-3 shift. And, not surprisingly, I stoppped by the timing booth to collect another 12.3 @ 112 with a 1.87 60'. Tired and frustrated, and realizing my better judgement was leaving me, I decided to put the car in the hauler and call it a day before I did some real damage.

The car sat in the hauler while I went on holidays for a few weeks. I talked to some friends to try to sort it out. Now you have to understand that all but one of my Buick buddys live at least five hours for me. So trying to sort things out being given a description from someone who isn't the best at explaining all things automotive isn't an easy task. Nonetheless everyone thought it was the convertor being so loose that there was a pile of HP loss through it.

Encouraged by the possibilty, I resolved to do something I should have done when I first put it in....verify that the thing was properly matched to my combo. So out I went to the Costco parking lot to check it. Those knowledgable on this forum seemed in agreement that the proper way to check stall is to simply raise the rpm and check when the wheels start spinning. With my knowledgeable Buick friend with me standing to the side of the car watching the back wheels I started trying to build boost. Oddly the rpm was climbing in a drastic hurry. I wound up watching the laptop more than the boost guage, though I am sure I never built any boost. I bounced off the rev limiter with my foot barely into the throttle! We went back through the file. 5850 rpm with a tps of 1.82 volts (yes the tps is set properly ;)).

I cannot even imagine how one would classify this convertor. 8000 stall? Who knows. I think TCS messed up big time. Good thing I get one free restall. I think I'll be asking for two. In the meantime I look forward to putting the D5 back in. It may be laggy but it should wail on the big end. And hopefully my car will start to run the times the combo is capable of.

Sorry if I wasted anyones time with a longwinded boring story. If anyone has any feedback it'd be appreciated. DS files of everything are available. Cheers.

went thru the same thing when i purchased a used convertor from another member, guaranteed was working good 4000 stall, put it in my car and it stalled about 5800, pulled it back out and there was metal everywhere, convertor was no good. I bit the bullet and had it rebuilt and resold it to a buddy, But lost my a@@ on it. I had Pro Torque build me a custom billet non lock up unit and love it.
Otto

Originally posted by REDS HOT AIR
thats not a wrong one thats a broke one :p

How does the car drive around with a broken convertor? ;) I would think the tranny would pile up more or less instantly if the convertor let go. Correct me if I am wrong.

Swapped convertors today. Clean fluid and nothing in the pan. It is a good convertor. I'll post the details of it in this thread. I could say something now but I'll verify my info first. I believe the cost was in the neighborhood of $1000 Cdn (my friend owed me some money for some SyTy parts, so I didn't have a lot to do with it's purchase). I may flip it and get something else but I doubt it...I am comfortable with the unit once I get the right dude to put it together at TCS...that's another story.

Anyways I put the D5 back in and the car runs like a dream. I guess I did have convertor shudder. The car runs much more civilized (read more like an unmodified car), doesn't have too much lag the little bit I got into it, and goes like stink on the big end now. Stay tuned. lol.

For future reference, TCS/Canada is not affiliated with TCS in America. I can't speak for the northern one, but TCS in Lake Havasu is a top notch company and we have had nothing but major success with everything we have done with them. They are our exclusive suppliers of all our 200 4R units.

I sent the convertor back and talked to Darryl at TCS to try to resolve the issue. They have been very helpful and willing to rectify the problem. The stall is horribly wrong, but they tell me it was simply ordered for a 200R4 and the specifics of the build weren't given. Fair enough I guess. By the way it is a 9X11 and is in fact identical to the 9X11 available through TCS in the States. The guy sorting the issue for me knows Rusty quite well and has been involved in the TC industry for some 20+ years. Even to me it was apparent he knew what he was talking about. ;)

Anyways, I didn't want to see TCS (Canada) get a bad rep in the community and avoided like ADP Distributors up here with their turbo fiascos. Mistakes can happen. But I am happy to report that they are very concerned and willing to make it right. I was told they will restall the convertor as many times as needed until I am happy with it. Can't do better than that. :cool:

Originally posted by ALBERTAN
I sent the convertor back and talked to Darryl at TCS to try to resolve the issue. They have been very helpful and willing to rectify the problem. The stall is horribly wrong, but they tell me it was simply ordered for a 200R4 and the specifics of the build weren't given. Fair enough I guess. By the way it is a 9X11 and is in fact identical to the 9X11 available through TCS in the States. The guy sorting the issue for me knows Rusty quite well and has been involved in the TC industry for some 20+ years. Even to me it was apparent he knew what he was talking about. ;)

Anyways, I didn't want to see TCS (Canada) get a bad rep in the community and avoided like ADP Distributors up here with their turbo fiascos. Mistakes can happen. But I am happy to report that they are very concerned and willing to make it right. I was told they will restall the convertor as many times as needed until I am happy with it. Can't do better than that. :cool:

Darrell's a good guy. I've talked to him a few times. I think yours was one of the first 9x11's that they had done. They have since done several more for a few guys out here and he is probably getting alot more familiar with where the convertor needs to be to get the correct stall.

So far, IME they are nothing like ADP and mos tof our guys are pretty happy with their convertors.

I know what you mean. I bought a restalled D5 w/ 1 year warranty [2800 stall] for my daily driver. Car seemed to run good, so I thought. I took it took the 1/8 mile track and the best it would run on 18 psi boost was a measly 9.7 :( . All tuning parameters were correct.
The bearing went out 3 weeks after warranty period. Luckily I caught it early. I put in a stock d5 w/ 50,000 miles. Went to the track one more time and laid down an 8.4 first time out.
The restalled unit was cheap [in price & quality], I got what I paid for.:rolleyes:

'86 GNAT orig. owner
'87 Regal "T" w/ turbo daily driver.