ZDDP Question

Buix893

Buick = $$$
Hey,
My motor has about 40K original miles on it, and I always use Castrol GTX 10W30 without any problems. Should I start adding the ZDDP to the oil? I am assuming for a flat tapped cam I should...:)

Yes, they have taken all the "goodies" (mostly Zinc..very important) out of today's oil u buy on the shelf...your sig claims a car running high 11's...help her out :biggrin: Your engine will love you for it, especially the cam.

Assuming because it's already full of oil u mean? If it's anything like my car it will leak out that 1/2 quart in no time :biggrin: I'd add it.

Oh awesome....so I guess I don't need ZDDP....I never knew Castrol had Sj and SH....:D

Most oil companies have good websites with ratings and other technical data.

Not to mention it's probably right on the bottle. ;)

Our cars were designed when SF was around. There is not enough ZDDP in pretty much any over the counter oil your going to get. But save on that $10 bottle, lots of guys with cams/motors to sell ya.:eek:

Oh awesome....so I guess I don't need ZDDP....I never knew Castrol had Sj and SH....:D

In MY opinion, WRONG!!!! ....see above... If you want to put your motor on the line because 'someone' doesn't believe it's required, it's your call.... just be advised that 'someone' has very few that would agree with him on this issue... not naming names or anything... :tongue:

It really is cheap insurance, these ZDDP products came out because their was a need...The break-in these days on a flat-tappet cam on any car is extreme w/ all the lubes and additives recommended that were not around as much 20 years ago so that holds some food for thought. And especially on our type of car that is seldom driven then when it is...we usually have fun with them understandably so of course. For my GN and my older muscle cars, I use an additive with all of them (Hughes additive on the Mopars) on regular oil and never had a problem, I remember when I had the original motor in my '69 I ran lead substitute religiously to help the valve seats...same principal really w/ the oil additive.

I used SH rated dino. oil for about 8 years, no flat cam here.

But then again it only has 185K on it so I will defer to the "experts", no names mentioned just in case there aren't any. :p ;)

Seldom driven..... :confused:

Not sure what that has to do with what oil is in your car. :eek:

I put my motor on the line everday and can read a bottle of oil but the original OP can use any oil he feels comfortable with. :cool:

I'm very comfortable with my choices both synthetic and non. :smile:

But then again it only has 185K on it so I will defer to the "experts", no names mentioned just in case there aren't any. :p ;)

All due respect WAS intended.... I got ya'... just happen to disagree with you on this ONE point.... other points? not so much!! :p with due respect, cheers! :biggrin:

I just put the Valvoline VR-1 Racing oil (the street-use one), and it has enough zddp in it:cool:..

VR-1 1200ppm
zddp recommended in our cars 1800 ppm

VR-1 and ZDDP plus

Advice from my engine builder JMS racing
37 yrs building performance race and marine motors

Seldom driven.....

Not sure what that has to do with what oil is in your car.

Yeah, that was hard to understand...sorry...Let's try a scenario, my everyday car I start up and drive normally w/ maybe an occasional hard run. Now when I drive my GN maybe once a week...I tend to be a bit hard on it so basically most of the mileage put on the car is much harder than my everydayer...cause it's my toy. Does this make sense now??? And happy to hear your engine did that well, I've seen people wipe out cams on the initial 15 minute break-in so I guess I'm a bit biased to a $10/bottle of insurance.