Pypes STAINLESS Exhaust System..

follow-up

just to follow up from my post above (previous page)...

I finally had an opportunity to spend a couple more hours trying to get the Pypes system installed and I gotta say, right now it ain't lookin' good! :mad:

the tailpipes just don't seem to clear everything - their either up against the upper trailing arms or the springs or the axle and the only postion that keeps the "humps" away from everything leaves the mounting tabs off the frame. I just dont see how the pipes are supposed to clear everything. :confused:

and for comparison sake, I installed an ATR dual 2 1/2" system on my previous GN several years ago. managed to get that installed in just a few hours includeding removal of the original exhaust system. The ATR system fit PERFECTLY! I mistakenly *assumed* the Pypes system would go in just as easily.

I'm not writing-off the Pypes system yet as I completly realize the issues I'm having could very well be "operator error". I was getting frustrated so I'm giving up for the night. I'll take another look at it this weekend. better lighting and more patience might help.

Rob

figured I'd post up a follow-up and conclusion to my Pypes system install. Since no one else has posted in this thread since my last post roughly a week ago, I guess I've hijacked this thread (sorry about that :redface: )

anyway, finally got the Pypes system completely installed to my satisfaction several days ago. The first thing I'd like to say is, yes, the "Race Pro" mufflers do sound VERY good! Actually, they sound almost exactly like the ATR "Pit Bull" mufflers I used to own which is what I was hoping for. That's not surprising since they are similar in construction. Overall I'm very happy with the results. Would I buy another Pypes kit for a turbo Regal? For roughly $300, yes (I paid less than $300+S&H from Summit). But I really wouldn't pay $400 for this kit - it just didnt' fit well enough out of the box. By the time I was done I made the following modifications or additions to the kit:

1. Bought new stainless mounting bolts - bolts provided with kit were too short and not stainless
2. purchased stainless band clamps to use in place of the plated steel U-bolts supplied with kit - the supplied U-bolts would have probably worked fine, but band clamps seal better and allow the pipes to be disassembled and repositioned much easier than U-clamps.
3. had to trim passenger tailpipe exit to match driver's side
4. had to trim both intermediate pipe exits where they slide into mufflers to allow tailpipe "humps" to shift forward to clear axle housing

The Pypes kit sounds great (IMO) with the "Race Pro" mufflers and is probably the absolute least expensive way to get into a stainless exhaust system. If you have the time, patience and tools to make it fit right you will end up with a very nice system and save some money. If you want something that will bolt right in and fit perfectly out of the box, I don't believe this is the right system for you. And another important note: The inlet to the Y-pipe (at the converter flange) appears to be the same size as the stock exhaust system.

Rob

This sure looks better for my bank account than those other 600 dollar systems did. As far as performance goes, how do you guys this this system would do if compared to a 3in single shot or 3in to dual outlet exhaust system?

I'd be interested in the singe vs dual systems too. I have no exhaust at all yet, but since it is a G body it 'should' be the same. No real expertise with an exhaust install, but I only want to do it once and it doesn't seem too difficult.

I was just looking at that Pypes exhaust system # SGG50R and it does say(some cutting may be involved)

excellent review

figured I'd post up a follow-up and conclusion to my Pypes system install. Since no one else has posted in this thread since my last post roughly a week ago, I guess I've hijacked this thread (sorry about that :redface: )

anyway, finally got the Pypes system completely installed to my satisfaction several days ago. The first thing I'd like to say is, yes, the "Race Pro" mufflers do sound VERY good! Actually, they sound almost exactly like the ATR "Pit Bull" mufflers I used to own which is what I was hoping for. That's not surprising since they are similar in construction. Overall I'm very happy with the results. Would I buy another Pypes kit for a turbo Regal? For roughly $300, yes (I paid less than $300+S&H from Summit). But I really wouldn't pay $400 for this kit - it just didnt' fit well enough out of the box. By the time I was done I made the following modifications or additions to the kit:

1. Bought new stainless mounting bolts - bolts provided with kit were too short and not stainless
2. purchased stainless band clamps to use in place of the plated steel U-bolts supplied with kit - the supplied U-bolts would have probably worked fine, but band clamps seal better and allow the pipes to be disassembled and repositioned much easier than U-clamps.
3. had to trim passenger tailpipe exit to match driver's side
4. had to trim both intermediate pipe exits where they slide into mufflers to allow tailpipe "humps" to shift forward to clear axle housing

The Pypes kit sounds great (IMO) with the "Race Pro" mufflers and is probably the absolute least expensive way to get into a stainless exhaust system. If you have the time, patience and tools to make it fit right you will end up with a very nice system and save some money. If you want something that will bolt right in and fit perfectly out of the box, I don't believe this is the right system for you. And another important note: The inlet to the Y-pipe (at the converter flange) appears to be the same size as the stock exhaust system.

Rob

thanks for the follow-up

Ok, Im takin it theres street pro, race pro, and violator (nice name) muffler options. Is there an option with no mufflers available? And out of the 3, which is the quietest? Street pro I'm assuming? And how are you guys getting this system for soo cheap? Isn't shipping like freakin fifty bucks?

One more question. Does the gbodyparts / other vendors on here exhaust cutout flanges bolt up to this? Is it a good fit?

Ok, Im takin it theres street pro, race pro, and violator (nice name) muffler options. Is there an option with no mufflers available? And out of the 3, which is the quietest? Street pro I'm assuming? And how are you guys getting this system for soo cheap? Isn't shipping like freakin fifty bucks?

One more question. Does the gbodyparts / other vendors on here exhaust cutout flanges bolt up to this? Is it a good fit?

According to the pypes website, the Race Pro's are their best flowing, and quietest too.... reports here that they are quiet also, quieter than hookers, but sound great... pics above show the race pros to be straight thru and open, so they obviously flow...

When you order from Summit, it isn't considered an 'oversize' item, thus their standard S & H fee applies... like $9.00......

Yes, bolts up to standard flanges... but you will need to have the length of the cutout/test pipe correct.... same as other systems....

Just received my Pypes with the Race Pro mufflers today. Summit Racing $294.95 plus $9.00 for shipping. As an extra bonus I received a free hat in the box from Pypes and a $20.00 certificate from Summit Racing for my next order over $100.00.

The system looks good and will be installing it once the GN is out of winter storage.

$306 and some change out the door/to your door.
I got the race pros. Switched from Hooker,and the race pro is a lil quieter than the Hooker system at idle, about the same at WOT(maybe a lil bit deeper sound) I have mine installed, but did have to take about 1 1/2" off the front of the tail pipes where they go into the muffler to clear the rear end w/o hitting

When you took the 1 1/2" inches off the tailpipes to clear the rear, did the tailpipes still bolt to the frame in the existing holes, or did you have to drill new holes?

When you took the 1 1/2" inches off the tailpipes to clear the rear, did the tailpipes still bolt to the frame in the existing holes, or did you have to drill new holes?

My old Hooker system had the brackets welded to the frame in that location, and after cutting the new tailpipes, they matched up to the same location. So yes, they were.

knock

Has anyone had a problem with there car knocking after they install this system? Before I had this system my car was running the stock exhaust with no knock. Now with this exhaust the car is knocking under boost. According to the SM it has usually 3* to 4* of knock. Once it hit 7* :mad: !!!!! Any ideas???

do you have a boost gauge? if so, look at it. With a better flowing exhaust, your turbo can breathe better, in return making more power/boost. If so, you might not have enough octane to support the increase of boost, do you have alky? if you do NOT have a boost gauge, you should be mad at your self. If this is not the reason, maybe the exhaust is hitting on something causing a vibration setting off your knock gauge.

Yes i have an autometer boost gauge on the pillar. And I have my rjc boost controller turned all the way down, but it wont go below 19.5 psi. When I installed the exhaust I made sure it was clear from everything around it. As far as the alky goes I have it but im not running it right now because im haveing my alky tt chip reburned for 60 lbs mototrons. That is why ive got my boost controler turned all the way down , but I belive it may not enough.

so while your chip is being re burned, what are you using as a chip? do you have something mis-matched with the new 60's? 19.5 is alot of boost for just gas(92 octane), stock turbo or not. You are making more power with the new exhaust, you just need more octane.:cool: Keep your foot out of it until you get your chip back in, and your alky turned on. Or go buy a few gallons of race gas and have fun.

As was said above, with the exhaust now flowing better and less back pressure it will raise your boost up a few pounds, so be careful and monitor.

Thanks guys. Im going to check it out. I may just take the boost controller out and run it back through the factory set up for now. Im not sure what chip is in the car now. All I know is that it came with the car and it has a smily face sticker on the front of it like this :smile: . The last owner told me it was a street chip he had made for the car. I have the time and other things on the back of the chip wrote down at home but im at work now.

that :smile: will turn to a :frown: when you blow a head gasket for not knowing what chip is in the ecm while running 19.5 psi:eek: take it easy.:D