Pypes STAINLESS Exhaust System..

I really dont know how well I like it yet. I drove it around a little but I havent made it to the track with the 6776 yet. Feels pretty good. Im looking for big improvements though, as I upgraded from the TE60 to the PT6776S, D5 3k stall to a Pats 10" 3400 stall, and added alkycontrol to the mix. Will find out for sure in the spring. My goal is to be in the "10 second stock untouched long block" club. I will be happy with some low 11's in full weight street trim though. We'll see...
Where'd you buy your system/price??

300 bucks at summit racing

Just ordered my Pypes system from Summit:biggrin:
The pics from russgoodman were the deciding vote. Great pics, thanks

So after all of the restriction of the y-pipe talk, you guys had me a little worried. Of course I went to the garage and did a little test fit with the pypes y collecter and my dump pipe - its a TA perf 3". (Its pretty easy when they're both sitting around waiting to be installed :( ) I found that on MY setup there was absolutely NO restriction. The ovals lined up perfectly with no abrupt transition. I took a few pics just for the hell of it. For those that are interested, I will be posting pics of the install in this thread and heck I'll even get some sound clips up eventually (might take awhile for me to get around to it).

Russ...

Thank you very much!!! THAT'S good information/pictures right there!! That perfectly illustrates the fit of the Pypes inlet. They say "a picture is worth a thousand words" and those pics prove it. Thank you very much for taking the time to take those and post them here. good clear pics too! :cool:

2 minutes 35 seconds into this vid. A GN with Pypes system.

YouTube - Monte Carlo ss

Man those were some cool cars. I actually like the two tone T type better than any of them. Who's car is that? No offense but are there not any more open roads around there? I suppose in Chicago there probably arent any. The GN looked a little faster than 13's!!!!!!!:biggrin:

Thanks!

The 2 tone T-Type is a car that has a long history on the Chicago streets. It was one of the fastest daily driven/night raced TR's around in the mid 90's and spent a lot of time at ANS Performance.

We fixed the Montes belt issue, and were trying drag shocks and springs on all corners...needs more work.:mad:

We can't get the Caprice owner into a smalller car. He Loves those tanks.:confused:

Not many open roads but that is a industrial area that is dead for the most part during off time. We tend to draw spectators (cops call them "johns")and stay out of there after dark. At night, I kid you not, it looks like one of the first scenes in the Fast and Furious part 1. Imports everywhere!! First sign of a cop...they scramble like roaches with the lights on and they weren't racing in the first place (standing around bench racing)..:confused:
As for the wimpy GN...
That car is weak as water, sits way too high and performed very poorly on the Chicago dyno day. Ask Brer Rabbit about the exhaust note he is behind it a lot, and not by choice!:p :p :biggrin: (gotta love picking at Gary)

Those cops are just Gary trying to scare you guys away from Test'n'Tunes. He doesnt want you to get any faster otherwise he'll be in trouble!! It's pretty different over her in the Quad Cities, we can pretty much drive 5 minutes to any open road and we wont see anybody for hours. Plus we have Cordova 1/2 hour away. Sometimes it's better to test on an open country road so you dont have to wait in lines at the track. Man I really like that T! I think I may have heard about that car before. Take care! -----Jeremy

Talking about restriction, when I installed my system it made a big difference. I already had a 3" dual side exit exhaust with a SLP straight through muffler. Even though that flowed great, this system made a very big difference, on the low end.

Talking about restriction, when I installed my system it made a big difference. I already had a 3" dual side exit exhaust with a SLP straight through muffler. Even though that flowed great, this system made a very big difference, on the low end.

Meaning it was more restrictive, or flowed better?

Incredible price for a stainless system. I'm not a fan of the dual pipes though.

Pypes exhaust sysystem install comments...

ordered the Pypes 2 1/2" system from Summit. $294.95 +tax & shipping

received the kit very quickly as is typical for Summit (thumbs up to them)

As of this post, I have the system temporarily slipped together under the car supported by blocks of wood. at this point I've made the following observations:

1. tubing and mufflers are stainless. provided clamps, hangers and mounting screws are not.

2. tubing is bent very smoothly

3. welds are decent, not artwork, but decent - although the welds *inside* the Y-pipe are a kinda fugly

4. inlet at the Y-pipe (oval opening) is identical in size to the Hooker system I removed from the car

5. tailpipe "humps" only clear the axle housing by less than 1/2" in front of the axle housing. even with the tailpipe tubing and y-pipe tubing shoved into the mufflers as far as they can go, the "humps" of the tailpipes are still too far to the rear of the car. I have shifted everything as far forward as possible but I'm not happy with that clearance in front of the axle.

6. the provided mounting screws for the tailpipes are too short - period! The kit includes two blue polyeurethane mounting isolators for the tailpipes but the provided mounting screws are less than 1/4" longer than the hole through the mounting isolators which doesn't leave enough screw thread to engage the holes in the frame.

7. slash cuts on the tips of the tailpipes are not the same on both sides. the driver's side cut on the tip of the tailpipe looks more like the tips on the Hooker system (looks more like stock and looks better) however the tip of the passenger side tailpipe has less material removed and looks odd.

With the above observations in mind, I'd say the system is overall a pretty good deal however, the particular set of of pieces I received will have to be "tweaked" to really look right and fit correctly. I'm planning to trim the ends of the Y-pipe to allow the mufflers and tailpipes to shift forward enough for the "humps" to be centered over the axle. I'll trim the pass. side tailpipe tip to match the driver's side as closely as possible. I have already purchased longer stainless steel mounting screws and stainless clamps.

If I can get the tailpipe humps centered over the axle and angle cuts on the tips to match, I'll be happy with the system. If this turns out to be much more trouble, I will be wishing I had gone with another system.

Rob

ordered the Pypes 2 1/2" system from Summit. $294.95 +tax & shipping

received the kit very quickly as is typical for Summit (thumbs up to them)

As of this post, I have the system temporarily slipped together under the car supported by blocks of wood. at this point I've made the following observations:

1. tubing and mufflers are stainless. provided clamps, hangers and mounting screws are not.

2. tubing is bent very smoothly

3. welds are decent, not artwork, but decent - although the welds *inside* the Y-pipe are a kinda fugly

4. inlet at the Y-pipe (oval opening) is identical in size to the Hooker system I removed from the car

5. tailpipe "humps" only clear the axle housing by less than 1/2" in front of the axle housing. even with the tailpipe tubing and y-pipe tubing shoved into the mufflers as far as they can go, the "humps" of the tailpipes are still too far to the rear of the car. I have shifted everything as far forward as possible but I'm not happy with that clearance in front of the axle.

6. the provided mounting screws for the tailpipes are too short - period! The kit includes two blue polyeurethane mounting isolators for the tailpipes but the provided mounting screws are less than 1/4" longer than the hole through the mounting isolators which doesn't leave enough screw thread to engage the holes in the frame.

7. slash cuts on the tips of the tailpipes are not the same on both sides. the driver's side cut on the tip of the tailpipe looks more like the tips on the Hooker system (looks more like stock and looks better) however the tip of the passenger side tailpipe has less material removed and looks odd.

With the above observations in mind, I'd say the system is overall a pretty good deal however, the particular set of of pieces I received will have to be "tweaked" to really look right and fit correctly. I'm planning to trim the ends of the Y-pipe to allow the mufflers and tailpipes to shift forward enough for the "humps" to be centered over the axle. I'll trim the pass. side tailpipe tip to match the driver's side as closely as possible. I have already purchased longer stainless steel mounting screws and stainless clamps.

If I can get the tailpipe humps centered over the axle and angle cuts on the tips to match, I'll be happy with the system. If this turns out to be much more trouble, I will be wishing I had gone with another system.

Rob

I agree with all of this, but I thought the fitment was off because my rear axle is too far forward. Hmmm....:confused:

I searched Summit for p/n #SGG50S this morning and the new price is $365.95.

Try SGG50R - with the 'race' mufflers.... quieter and flow better... not sure if the price will change.... summit seems to have a bit of price variation depending on your location???

i got mine for 294, only thing i got against it is its kinda quiet and my tips are coated in molten rubber. sounds real good though, the mufflers are strait threw and its all stainless. great quality

i got mine for 294, only thing i got against it is its kinda quiet and my tips are coated in molten rubber. sounds real good though, the mufflers are strait threw and its all stainless. great quality

Quiet is GOOD!! They'll never know what went by them!!!;) Quiet lil V6 FTW:D

Rob

I agree with all of this, but I thought the fitment was off because my rear axle is too far forward. Hmmm....:confused:

I just installed my system today. I too, didnt like how close the tail pipes were to the axle, so I cut about an inch off the tail pipes where they go into the mufflers. As for the rest, it looked good. I personally just welded the tail pipe brackets up, as that was the way my Hooker system was up there anyways.
At idle, this system is a lil quieter than the Hooker system was. It does also have a nice sound to it, and flows very well. I got to about 23 lbs, but didnt really drive it too much, as it is winter here in Mi. I did want to try it out a little though. Streets were dry, but about 16 degrees= no traction:redface:
All in all, a nice system for the price!!
I give it a thumbs-UP!!