Pypes STAINLESS Exhaust System..

I originally ordered the Pypes from Kirban but there was a wait so i ordered the Hooker from Summit. At $369 it was a great deal and i got the Hooker Super Comp muflfers and love it. I had the issue about the pipes close to the axle. But if you slide the tail pipes into the mufflers you can gain a little clearance, i had to do that with the Hooker system.

all these posts and still no videos or sound clips of the Pypes system???? :confused:

I'd like to hear all three of the Pypes muffler designs on a turbo Buick.

anyone?....anyone?.....

Bueller...Bueller.....

How does the system flow?? How is the restriction? What kind of boost are you guys running thru this system without it choking the boost off? I had the Hooker system on before running 25# no problem. It rotted, so I put a stock system back on temp. with no mufflers, and cant get more than 18# like that. Want to make sure this system flows before committing to buying it. I do like the stainless, and the price is hard to beat. Just want to make sure I can run 11.00's thru this exhaust

How does the system flow?? How is the restriction? What kind of boost are you guys running thru this system without it choking the boost off? I had the Hooker system on before running 25# no problem. It rotted, so I put a stock system back on temp. with no mufflers, and cant get more than 18# like that. Want to make sure this system flows before committing to buying it. I do like the stainless, and the price is hard to beat. Just want to make sure I can run 11.00's thru this exhaust

I went ahead and ordered the Pypes system with the Race Pro muffs. In doing some research, it seems like an excellent system for the money although there is one possible draw-back...the Y-pipe inlet on the Pypes system is much smaller than that of some other vendors systems. the inlet in the GN1 system is HUGE!!! but probably overkill for a mildly modified car like mine. I installed an ATR dual 2 1/2" system on my previoius GN and the Y-pipe inlet on the ATR system was also *very* large. Someone posted the inlet dimensions on the Pypes system and the height of the oval is less than 3" which means you're going to have an abrupt transistion in pipe size if you're running a 3" test pipe or cat. Such an abrupt decrease in size *IS* a restriction although I don't have the means to test how much of a restriction so I don't know if it's significant at lower power levels. This can actually be calculated but I'm too lazy! :p I'm running an old ATR 3" downpipe and testpipe so I'll measure the difference in opening sizes between the outlet on the ATR testpipe and the inlet on the Pypes system - I'll post results in this thread. :cool:

At 7we2 pictures

I went ahead and ordered the Pypes system with the Race Pro muffs. In doing some research, it seems like an excellent system for the money although there is one possible draw-back...the Y-pipe inlet on the Pypes system is much smaller than that of some other vendors systems. the inlet in the GN1 system is HUGE!!! but probably overkill for a mildly modified car like mine. I installed an ATR dual 2 1/2" system on my previoius GN and the Y-pipe inlet on the ATR system was also *very* large. Someone posted the inlet dimensions on the Pypes system and the height of the oval is less than 3" which means you're going to have an abrupt transistion in pipe size if you're running a 3" test pipe or cat. Such an abrupt decrease in size *IS* a restriction although I don't have the means to test how much of a restriction so I don't know if it's significant at lower power levels. This can actually be calculated but I'm too lazy! :p I'm running an old ATR 3" downpipe and testpipe so I'll measure the difference in opening sizes between the outlet on the ATR testpipe and the inlet on the Pypes system - I'll post results in this thread. :cool:

If you can (At7 WE2) post some pictures and over all of what you think of the system. Thanks.

if anyones interested i have a hooker system i'll be selling soon, its got about 10-15 miles on it and a cereamic coating on the outside.

thanks for posting that link - that was actually a fun video to watch!
:biggrin: I bet that Caprice has surprised a few people! The GN with the Pypes system sounded good - Thanks!

Looked like a good way to get someone hurt racing up and down a busy street.

I had the Hooker system on before running 25# no problem. It rotted, so I put a stock system back on temp. with no mufflers, and cant get more than 18# like that. Want to make sure this system flows before committing to buying it. I do like the stainless, and the price is hard to beat. Just want to make sure I can run 11.00's thru this exhaust

It's identical to/exact copy of the Hooker system.... only in 409 stainless... and with straight thru welded stainless muffs (perforated w/packing - Race Pro, louvered w/ no packing - Street Pro)... most people are using the Race Pro's... and they are said to be quiet too.... :wink:

necked down

that collector at the y looks really necked down and probably has flow restriction

that collector at the y looks really necked down

Isn't that the reason it's called a 'collector'? :confused: I mean, restrictive compared to what? Certainly not the stock y-pipe/system.... again, it's a 2-1/2" system that's identical to the hooker..... and likely with better flowing muffs than either the aerochambers or the 'whataretheycalled... superflows?' I believe plenty of people have gone pretty fast 'corked up' with the hooker system.... I guess if you are trying to run 10's or faster, than sure, you may need a bigger exhaust (like Mark's dual 3" :wink: ), but your also talking nearly double the money.... I would wager the Pypes 2-1/2 wouldn't slow a mid-11 sec car down any significant amount.... and for $300ish, certainly an economical option... JMHO.... :smile:

Im happy with the system for the money. Us 13 second guys aren't too picky. If you are worried about it being a restriction, just spend twice as much for a system with a larger opening, or use an electric dump.

Warning....BS alert!

Im happy with the system for the money. Us 13 second guys aren't too picky. If you are worried about it being a restriction, just spend twice as much for a system with a larger opening, or use an electric dump.

13 second guys....hmmmmm.

If its the same as the Hooker system, Im in. I ran my Buick into the 11's thru the Hooker system with a TE60. Now that I have the 6776, I want 11.00's. Just wanted to make sure it doesnt choke the boost off before that. I have the dump, but prefer not to use it if I dont have to.

If its the same as the Hooker system, Im in. I ran my Buick into the 11's thru the Hooker system with a TE60. Now that I have the 6776, I want 11.00's. Just wanted to make sure it doesnt choke the boost off before that. I have the dump, but prefer not to use it if I dont have to.

T-Typex1,

I take it you really like that turbo with your stock long? I'm lookiing at a 67 also, for stock long block. By the way, I just bought the Pypes. Got a free cap too. :D

So after all of the restriction of the y-pipe talk, you guys had me a little worried. Of course I went to the garage and did a little test fit with the pypes y collecter and my dump pipe - its a TA perf 3". (Its pretty easy when they're both sitting around waiting to be installed :( ) I found that on MY setup there was absolutely NO restriction. The ovals lined up perfectly with no abrupt transition. I took a few pics just for the hell of it. For those that are interested, I will be posting pics of the install in this thread and heck I'll even get some sound clips up eventually (might take awhile for me to get around to it).

Attachments

• 100_1019.JPG
    100_1019.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 506
  • 100_1021.JPG
    100_1021.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 507
  • 100_1020.JPG
    100_1020.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 505
T-Typex1,

I take it you really like that turbo with your stock long? I'm lookiing at a 67 also, for stock long block. By the way, I just bought the Pypes. Got a free cap too. :D

I really dont know how well I like it yet. I drove it around a little but I havent made it to the track with the 6776 yet. Feels pretty good. Im looking for big improvements though, as I upgraded from the TE60 to the PT6776S, D5 3k stall to a Pats 10" 3400 stall, and added alkycontrol to the mix. Will find out for sure in the spring. My goal is to be in the "10 second stock untouched long block" club. I will be happy with some low 11's in full weight street trim though. We'll see...
Where'd you buy your system/price??

I really dont know how well I like it yet. I drove it around a little but I havent made it to the track with the 6776 yet. Feels pretty good. Im looking for big improvements though, as I upgraded from the TE60 to the PT6776S, D5 3k stall to a Pats 10" 3400 stall, and added alkycontrol to the mix. Will find out for sure in the spring. My goal is to be in the "10 second stock untouched long block" club. I will be happy with some low 11's in full weight street trim though. We'll see...
Where'd you buy your system/price??

Very nice. THX