You can type here any text you want

1.65 roller rocker owners with Iron Heads

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

84BuickGNYorkPA

Daily Driving Buick V-6 Turbo's 1979 - Present
I just got my set today and the instructions mentioned that the push rod holes may need to be opened up for 1/16" min clearance in the heads.
I am just wondering if anyone actually ran into this...
Thanks,

Chuck

id say put a side on and turn it over by hand and see if they are gonna scrape, i dont have first hand experience just an opinion of what id do :wink:

I replaced my stock rocker shafts with a set of T&D 1.65's on my Champion Irons last summer. When I got my heads from Tom at Champion they came machined to except the rocker shafts and push rods. Like 4-71/Z-28 stated. Put one side on loosely with only one set of push rods and turn the engine by hand to make sure they clear. If the rocker shaft pedestals have not been machined then you can't install the new rocker shaft until they are so don't even try. If they are aftermarket irons then the work has probably already been done but you should ask whoever you bought them from.

I replaced my stock rocker shafts with a set of T&D 1.65's on my Champion Irons last summer. When I got my heads from Tom at Champion they came machined to except the rocker shafts and push rods. Like 4-71/Z-28 stated. Put one side on loosely with only one set of push rods and turn the engine by hand to make sure they clear. If the rocker shaft pedestals have not been machined then you can't install the new rocker shaft until they are so don't even try. If they are aftermarket irons then the work has probably already been done but you should ask whoever you bought them from.

You can do it with un-machined heads but you have to have the relieved rockers (which most are relieved from what ive seen) and grind the spacer washers down that are next to the pedestals so they clear. Ive done it several times. Its a little harder to install them but if you use petroleum jelly to hold the washers in place and squeeze the assemblies together as you place them on the pedestals you can get it done.

They all clear, the push rods are at the center of the hole, Champion must have cut these for clearance at the factory, because they look dead center.

Chuck

They all clear, the push rods are at the center of the hole, Champion must have cut these for clearance at the factory, because they look dead center.

Chuck

How could they do that if they dont know your deck height, rocker ratio, and compressed gasket thickness?

How could they do that if they dont know your deck height, rocker ratio, and compressed gasket thickness?

What I meant was that Champion must have opened up the push rod holes, scaling a Champion to a stock hole, the Champion is a bigger diameter.

Chuck

Back