12 ga advice wanted

DCVING 6

In the market for a 12 ga shotgun for home defense. I was specifically looking at the Mossberg 500 with the pistol grip and 18.5" barrel. It seems like this would be the easiest to manuver through hallways, etc through the house. I feel like a regular butt-stock and long barrel would be harder to move through a house with.

Just don't know how practical it would be. I'd hate for it to be something that looks cool, but won't shoot worth a damn.

Opinions?

My old mossberg hasn't missed a beat in 31 years so far. You can buy a combo pack with a short and long barrel if you want Glen. You then have a hunting weapon and one for defence at the same time.

I have always been a Winchester 1200 or a Remingtown 870 guy. But I was introduced to Mossberg by a friend of mine. I picked up the mossberg 935 Semi-Auto. , Its a hunting gun for sure, But it did come with a 24 inch barrell, Thing is top notch.. Id check out Mossberg's home defense pump for sure!!

Take a close look and see if pistol grip is legal in the garden state; it's one of those states with restrictions a mile high!

Lotta good reviews on the Mossberg 930 SPX, but personally I like the good ol' Remmington 870 for the KISS factor.

Why not have it all? Mossberg just released a new line of shotgun and the shot show. It's called the Mossberg Flex System. Buy one shotgun and then configure it for whatever you want. Hunting, home defense, etc. If I didn't have a few shotguns, I would definately be looking real hard at these. Also, I find that the placement of the Mossberg 500/590 series safety is a little better than the Rem 870. Check it out.... www.flexyourmossberg.com

You can also buy a new Maverick for dirt cheap or get a SPAS 12.
Franchi_SPAS_12_by_dukeleto.jpg

I've got a Maverick. Has both the pistol grip and the stock. A friend @ the ATF said to load it w/ low brass #6. That's what is in it.
If nothing else, even the dumbest burglar in the world, knows what the sound is, when a shell is racked into the chamber!! Smile, and wait for the flash!!:D

I'm not into hunting at all, don't have a problem with other people doing it, it just isn't for me. :) We do shoot clay at my inlaws house though, maybe I will look into one of the "multi-purpose" units. Was reading in the American Rifleman that ammo mfg's are coming out with home defense rounds that won't go through the wall into the other bedrooms.

Remington 1100 Tac4, all you'll hear (or not hear) is the safety going to hot. I prefer my mini14 since I've had it since I was 19 and its like a well worn glove and small and plenty of ammo to give away my position about 40 times as needed...

870 fan here, lots of aftermarket upgrades, checkout thumbhole stocks, if you like the pistol grip feel and I think that addresses the legal issue of a pistol grip.When shooting a 12ga with a pistol grip you better hang on it will want to flip up, and don't try to site down the barrel when shooting a pistol grip unless you like dental work.:eek: For home defence for me ... 870 with 18"barrel thumbhole stock (short & easy to maneuver), mounted flashlight (to see your target ) and a laser for easy target acquisition in the heat of the moment.:D Remember it's tough to prove self defence over 21 ft (7 yds) so practice, practice , practice, and know that gun like the back of your hand.:) Sam

Personally I do the 870 thing... Most reliable shotgun in LE history is what I have read... I keep one by the bed and beside me in my home office:D Amoung other thingso_O

If you want an auto, FN SLP is da bomb!

Whatever you get just make sure it's a pump...as one member already pointed out, everyone knows exactly what that sound is!

Remington 870 all the way. I've owned & shot loose a Mossberg 500 before. The pistol grip guns are fun for blowing up trash & other close range on the ground shots, but there not good for much else. I just bought an 870 Compact Jr. 20 gauge for the little women to start off with. It has a shortened stock & an 18.5" barrel. Still a good size to operate through a home & yet still useful in the field. It's hard to beat an 870.

~JM~