You can type here any text you want

15 x 10 rims..backspace question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

fullahotair

I am looking to run some 325/50/15s on a 15 x 10 inch rim. I will be notching the frame and doing a minitub, much like GNBRETT did. I see some people run that rim with a 5" backspace (like GnBrett).

Is the the 5" backspace the consensus as the proper back space to run???

I prefer not to roll the fender lip if i don't have to,and I like the look of the wheel tucked up in the wheel well. I am not a fan of the wheels sticking out of the fender wheel and running an air bag to keep them from rubbing...

Any comments are greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
Nate

I have some 15"x10"s with a rear spacing of 4.5" which is perfect for my car :wink:, BUT I'm using some 275-60 15 tires, so I don't know about the rear spacing for some 325-50-15's...:rolleyes: A 5" rear spacing would probably be ok in your case, since you're notching the frame, but it would've been too much for the tires I have (with a stock frame and rolled fender lips). I like the tire's tread to be under the car with the sidewall bulge being flush with the body.

Claude. :smile:

Claude,

Thanks for the reply! What rims are you running? couldn't quite tell in the pic?

Anyone else have any input?

Thanks,
Nate

If you are serious about not rolling your fenders then you should probably stick with a 5.5" bs wheel, using a small spacer if you have to get it away from the frame a tiny bit.

Nate 5.25 is optimal on a 325. If you go 5.5 you will have some inner wheel housing problems. This will not be your case, I'm just posting for future references.
Now since you are mini tubbing the inners 5.5 will also work & get you even more clearance.

thanks for the replies...

Looks like I'll go with the 15x10's with a 5.5" backspace (since Billets specialites only makes 4.5" and 5.5". If need be i'll put a wheel spacer on it (but hopefully won't have too).

Thanks,
Nate

On all 3 of my cars, I have had excellent results with both Weld wheels and Cragar. Superlites, Draglites and Pro Stars.

15x10 with 4.5 back spacing all 3 times. And I've used both 295/50R-15 BFG Radial T/As & 28x10.5-15 MT ET Drag slicks on Pro Stars for the grey car. 28x12.5-15 MT ET Street bias ply tires on Draglites & Superlites, for the other two. The most important thing for proper fitment, other than rolling the fender trim lips, is making sure the rearend is centered in the car. Meaning, if you have OEM upper and lower rear control arm bushings still on a car with high miles, they need to be replaced. As the bushings wear out, the rearend tends to move slightly off center. Typically from what I've seen, over to the right if looking at the car from behind.
Here's are a few pics.

Sarah's shoes.

DSC00957.jpg

DSC00958.jpg

DSC00948.jpg

RU's shoes.

PatscarRUQWKNF.jpg

P2253678.jpg

Rare T's shoes.
RareT.jpg

BG98RARETa.jpg

5" backspacing can cause some rubbing issues without taking preventive measures.
HTH

Patrick

My wheels have a 5.5" BS and are 10" wide with 315's. The car is lowered 1.5" in the rear and the tire is 26.5" tall. No rubbing and it tucks perfectly!!! I dont have a mini tub and i have no inner rubbing.

Thanks everyone for the replies and information....RU - i'll certianly look into the upper arms, and those tires look good on your car.

This is going to be my winter project (frame notch and minitub)

Based on what everyone says...it looks like 5.5 will be the best bet, and If i have too, i'll use a spacer...

Thanks,
NAte

Back