You can type here any text you want

1962 Vette

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Doctor Evil

Yeah, Baby...Yeah !
About 3 weeks ago, I was driving west on Colonial Drive in Orlando. A red and white 1962 Vette (like on animal house) convertable pulls up next to me ...beautiful car. I had the ole Megadeth cd blasting. I unroll my window, and noticed he had e.t streets mounted, which makes sense he just came from the track in Bithlo. Oppps, did I say that I had my 28x10 M&H racemasters on???? (never leave home without them) . The driver kept cool, with his head and eyes forward. The light turns green, and we both roll out slowly, can be a dangerous intersection at Alafaya trail, and both nail the throttle.......I immediately put 2 on him, and by the time we were at approx 100 mph, I had 3 lengths. We pull over at taco bell, and briefly talk, turns out he had a 502 block, 4 speed, 3.73 gears. He said to me, " Damn it, I HATE street racing those Buicks, you never know what you're gonna get!" " I should have sprayed you". Nice guy ........

Good kill. Looks like you made a pretty good gain going to the 28" tall tire. What tire did you originally have and what brand is the 28" tall tire? What is your combo? Thanks.

My combo is:

1. .030 bored over
2. 216/216 comp cam
3. TE-60 turbo, w/.63 exhaust housing
4. ATR 3" Downpipe
5. Art Carr 3500 Stall, 9 1/2 w/ lockup
6. Delphi 36 lb injector (six pin head)
7. Jay Carter Race Chip, 28 degree of timing
8. Accufab Adjustable fuel reg.
9. 9" cone filter
10. dual flowmasters
11. NO Cat
12. Red Armstrong volt booster
13. Bullet proof tranny

The tires I was using were e.t streets, 26" tall. I have a friend that has a v-8 280zx, and he went from a 15 wheel, to a 16" rear wheel....12.10 to a 11.75, and picked up 5 mph.(on 150 shot) So, I thought I would give it a try. I definately pull harder on the big end, staying in the torque-curve longer. My 60" is about the same, 1.70's to 1.65's, using the e-brake. I believe I am about to run out of injector (so I am told anyway). MSD 50's soon.

the vette had a 502 and lost to a 12 sec GN. shouldnt that motor have a little more uummfff?

Doctor Evil: I am hoping that going to 28" tall tires will get me around 117-118 mph.

Ya know, after thinking about it, the 502 should have more umphhh ! I have a friend that has a 1982 Mercedes Benz 500 SL (the coupe) with a 502, tubbed..and he would eat me alive. I guess the more money you put in it.....

My dad and I are building a 1959 vette race car. I'm still looking for a used LT5 engine from a ZR1. Nitrous, six speed and 4.88s HERE WE COME!!!

My guess would be he had a real low compression in the 502. You know built for like a 150-200hp shot of the good old N20 stuff. Then since he didnt use it he really didnt have all the ummmmmf in it. Now say he staged it and hit the Go Juice it could have been a completely different ball game. If he was running race trim... seeing how he was coming from the track, he could have had the timing backed out. It would be like running the Turbo 3.8 without the turbo.

I've got a '62 Vette, I'm just curious as to what he had to do to get the 502 in?

Back