#197 on Ebay

I'm sure its not in the condition of the 9 mile "time capsules" we see pop up on Ebay, but you make this car sound like a basket case. Am I missing something other than some surface rust on the undercarriage?

I looked at this car a couple of years ago, from a different owner it did have some pretty serious rust issues. What I found most distrubing is that it no longer had the original motor and trans. That helped me make a quick decision to not buy this car.

Regaldave

It is what it is

I dont want to bad mouth another members car - my post should be enough of an explanation or another potential buyer can do his own homework

It may be helpful to some to understand what you may have found as a no go.

A potential buyer can make the decision if they want to deal with it. It may save a potential GNX buyer time and effort. From the sellers side it will weed out those buyers where the issue creates a problem.

I have purchased several GNXs and always appreciate any information that some one may have on a car, it just saves time.

My thoughts

I looked at this car a couple of years ago, from a different owner it did have some pretty serious rust issues. What I found most distrubing is that it no longer had the original motor and trans. That helped me make a quick decision to not buy this car.

Regaldave

Wow, now that would be something the seller might want to disclose :eek:

Not necessarily true. Some people just don't know any better. You would be surprised at how many times I see someone trying to sell a 67 GT500 are selling from scan of old photographs or 4 total pics from 30 feet away.

Right, not all sellers are marketing gurus.

And here's another thing.... No matter HOW MANY pics you may list, some jackass will always ask you for a pic of one tiny spot that he somehow missed while taking pics.

f you cant judge the cars net worth without seeing one particular spot, then just maybe your expectations are a bit high for a car with 55K

And here's another thing.... No matter HOW MANY pics you may list, some jackass will always ask you for a pic of one tiny spot that he somehow missed while taking pics.

f you cant judge the cars net worth without seeing one particular spot, then just maybe your expectations are a bit high for a car with 55K

While it may be true that all sellers are not marketing gurus. This was IMO a very blatant attempt at hiding ALOT of issues. Also there are many cars out there with well over 55k on them that have been very well maintained . It has nothing to do with someones expectations being a bit high, it has everything to do with misrepresenting or failure to disclose very important facts that affect the cars true worth. Had this seller been up-front and honest, disclosing what he knew about the car, someone may have bid on the car. Buyers tend to be rightfully cautious when they feel the seller is not disclosing all of the facts.

Bryan

if you cant judge the cars net worth without seeing one particular spot, then just maybe your expectations are a bit high for a car with 55K

Unless that one spot contains a large rust hole..........

Could someone explain the issues that he is hiding?

Well, someone here mentioned the car doesn't have the original motor.......................I'd say, if true, that's a pretty major issue to not mention on Ebay

Well, someone here mentioned the car doesn't have the original motor.......................I'd say, if true, that's a pretty major issue to not mention on Ebay
IF it is true he's probably lucky the car didn't sell.If it did sell he could have fraud charges against him considering in his description he claims the car is original except for the exhaust and tires.

1987 Buick GNX 55,814 Original Miles

Car Production number: 197 0f 547 made

Car is all original except for ATR exhaust and tires

Body, engine and transmission in very good condition.

Paint is in good condition.

All options work except power antenna

Please ask questions before bidding.

I find it odd that NORMALLY, when a GNX shows up on ebay, someoen here knows about its history and will usually say something about it.

THIS particular car everyone sat back and did nothing until AFTER the auction ended?

Is there more to this story than people are letting on about?

Unless that one spot contains a large rust hole..........

Two very good points.

This car, as we discover had "serious" rust issues as someone described, but did not go deep into it as to what was seen during a previous inspection.

Anyone care to elaborate further?

NOM engine/trans... now THAT could be a problem.... how do you know and does the current owner know it?

Why keep your findings a secret? It could help other potential buyers inthe future.

Agreed. If something is found out that is being purposely held back, you should mention it here, regardless of if the seller is a member.

YellowMurci.
To say "Do your own homework" is completely selfish. It is that kind of mentality that leads to honest trusting individuals to get f**cked over by the dishonest.

It is unfortunate that you spent resources to have the car inspected, but would it not make you feel justified if you could save someone else the trouble by just posting an honest third party assessment? Would yo not have appreciated that yourself if positions reversed?

Sellers that take this position of "maybe if I don't mention it I'll get a sucker" almost never get the sucker. Especially with a car like the GNX. People will do their homework, everyone is just asking for your notes from your prior experience.

Just for the record, I personally have no interest in this car, I just think that you should help to maintain the integrity of this forum by disclosing your discoveries.

Ok guys - I just felt bad talking bad about someone elses car but if this is the norm here sharing info I will do that - here goes!!

As you can see car is a train wreck - every panel was fixed and the frame was straightened - this car is a mess -

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 8 9 0

V E H I C L E I N S P E C T I O N R E P O R T - A U T O M O B I L E
VIN: 1G4GJ1171HP447626 Class/Seats: Engine (Fuel) Type: Gas
Year: 1987 Body Type/Doors: Coupe Turbo/Supercharged: No
Make: Buick Exterior Color: Black Eng. Cyl./Arrange: 6 Cylinder
Model: Regal Paint Category: Engine Displacement: 3.8
Series : Custom Interior Color: Gray Drive/Gears/Trans.: Automatic

Odometer: 55814 Maintenance: 0 Maintenance Date:

Inspector No.: 2603 Assgn. Date: 09/07/2008 CR Post Date: 09/10/2008
Registration Date: Insp. Date: 09/10/2008 Print Date: 09/10/2008
ACCESSORIES:
Air Cond, Front Antenna Arm/Console, Fr Center Audio, AM/FM/Cassette Brakes, ABS Front Disc
Brakes, Power Bumper, Rear Cab, 2-Door Cruise Control Drive, Rear Wheel
Ducts, Console Floor Mats Headrest, Driver Headrest, Passenger Mirror, Lighted Vanity
Mirror, Vanity - Passenger Mirrors, Power Side Rear Defroster Seating, 5-Pass. Seats, Cloth
Shifter, Floor Speakers, Front Spoiler, Rear Steering, Power Tachometer
Transmission, Auto 4-Speed Wheels, Alloy Windows, Power
TIRES:
Pos. Tread Manufacturer Diameter Actual Size Pos. Tread Manufacturer Diameter Actual Size
LF 8/32" Goodyear 16" 245/50ZR16 RF 8/32" B.F. Goodrich 16" 245/50ZR16
LR 8/32" B.F. Goodrich 16" 245/50ZR16 RR 7/32" B.F. Goodrich 16" 245/50ZR16
SP 5/32" Compact Spare 16" CS Other
EXCEPTION/DAMAGE: AN EXCEPTION IS A CONDITION NOTED OUT OF THE ORDINARY
Zone/Area/Qualifier Type Description Severity Comments
Exterior:
Right Front Fender Previous Repair fair work.
Front Bumper-Cover Previous Repair fair work
Front Bumper-Cover Gouged 3" to 4" see photo
Left Front Door Previous Repair poor previous repair. bondo cracked. see photo.
Left Rear Qtr Panel/Pickup Box Previous Repair fair work
Right Rear Qtr Panel/Pickup Box Previous Repair fair work
Rear Bumper-Cover Dented, No Pnt Dmg 2" to 3" paint dam
Right Front Apron Previous Repair fair work
Right Front Baffle Previous Repair fair work
Left Front Rocker Panel Multiple Dents 4" to 5" see photos.
Left Front Rocker Panel Previous Repair die marks on pinch weld, frame straightened.
Right Front Door Previous Repair fair work
Right Front Rocker Panel Previous Repair fair work
Front Hood Scratched Over 12" buffable
Rear Bumper-Cover Gouged 3" to 4"
Interior:
Forward Dash/Instrument Panel Loose Over 12" see photo
Tires & Wheels:
No Exceptions Recorded
Glass:
No Exceptions Recorded
Inspection Checklist:

TEST DRIVE:
Brakes perform with no noticeable defects Engine performs with no noticeable defects
Transmission performs with no noticeable defects Instrument panel performs with no noticeable defects
Steering performs with no noticeable defects
Inspection Comments:

OK.. pardon my ignorance...

Who does such inspections, who pays for the inspections and are they unbiased?

According to the report which seems rather garbled, it runs and drives OK... but has body issues...

Assuming this inspection was documented with pictures?.... whee are they?

I tried to cut and paste - it didnt come out that well but you can read it - SGS inspections is the company - i paid for it - and of course they are unbiased - the pictures are included but didnt translate over - body issues? thats being kind

I know women with body issues.... but thats another story for another post.

OK... I understand... I'm in a captive market that has minimal if any services of that kind. Instead, there are a number of local guru's that get called upon to look at a car someone is serious about buying.

Thanks for the info.

What format were the pictures in?

Agreed. If something is found out that is being purposely held back, you should mention it here, regardless of if the seller is a member.

YellowMurci.
To say "Do your own homework" is completely selfish. It is that kind of mentality that leads to honest trusting individuals to get f**cked over by the dishonest.

It is unfortunate that you spent resources to have the car inspected, but would it not make you feel justified if you could save someone else the trouble by just posting an honest third party assessment? Would yo not have appreciated that yourself if positions reversed?

Sellers that take this position of "maybe if I don't mention it I'll get a sucker" almost never get the sucker. Especially with a car like the GNX. People will do their homework, everyone is just asking for your notes from your prior experience.

Just for the record, I personally have no interest in this car, I just think that you should help to maintain the integrity of this forum by disclosing your discoveries.

YellowMurci was kind enough to share his findings with me via PM when I asked him. I think he didn't want to post the findings because he didn't want to get tooled on for bashing someones car. This board is kind of funny like that. Kind of a damned if you do damned if you don't type of situation.

WHen someone posts what they know about a car, they often get ragged on for doing it and told to leave the seller alone, when in fact, anyone that is a serious buyer would benefit so as to make an accurate assesement of price and quality. Sellers that don't have anything to hide should have no problem with this.

Then you have a situation like this where nothing is said and guess what...the prospective buyer gets ragged on!!! :confused:

I think YellowMurci was very professional in the way he handled his transaction. I think he was trying to avoid any conflict and may have made that decision by reading some of the posts on here with members that share their opinions, views and findings and then get bashed for doing so.

YellowMurci you are a stand up guy. Thanks for sharing.

I think that in this case any buyer should know about all of the discrepancies found in the inspection.

They are NOT the type of "OCD-specific" flaws that annoy someone like me, but look fine to anyone else.

I cant see anyone ragging on Yellow Murci for bringing this to light. Hell, I might have been tempted at the price had I not had just put a deposit down on a new bike in similar price range.

$35K.... hmmmm *looks in piggy bank*

Not enough for the New scoot and a GNX now... guess I'm gonna have to sell body parts again...