You can type here any text you want

1981 Chevy/Buick K10 Project Truck Help!!!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

66buickgs455

Ok guys I'm new to this forum. Here is my project... I have a 1981 Chevy K10 4 speed with granny gear, muncie PTO winch, It has a SM465 Muncie Trans.

My Project is to take a T-type buick v6 and drop it in this lifted 4X4 with mild upgrades. I already know that a BOP trans bellhousing will bolt up to the sm465 trans with some slight machining work which I can do. What I need to know is some tips on engine wiring, fuel injection wiring, and what type of clutch/pressureplate/throuout bering (one that will hold about 600ft lb's of torque, and other tips I may need.

I have a pretty good knoledge of turbos and stuff like that and I'm friends with the guys at TA performance so I'm sure they can help me with engine mods. I'll be running twin 67mm Precision turbos 38mm wastegates and twin air/air intercoolers.

First, let me say.....

WELCOME PILGRIM!:cool: glad to have you on board. Your project is a bit different than most of us are probably used to. A schematic would be of great help, and may be gotten from one of the board members who sells the buick manual on cd. I think his handle is buickman. combine that w/the truck man. and you will be able to fab. your own wiring harness. the cable connectors can be had from caspers electronics. you failed to mention what year "T" you were recruiting the engine from? That would make a difference in wiring, computer, the board you go to for help:eek::cool: no matter what, you should be able to find what you are looking for in assistances. Again, Welcome.:cool:

The question is which V6 out of what T are you planning to put a stick behind. I have a feeling you're going to have some issues since you're wanting a manual.

Thanks for the welcome! I wanted some quick information so i havent really had time to post anywhere else but I'm 18 I live in Arizona I own a 81 Chevy K10 6in rough country lift and other off road such, and my baby my 1966 Buick Skylark GS with soon to be TA Performance forged twin 66mm turbo 464

My bad for not remembering the year I want to use...I am thinking an 87 gn engine would be the best because they have so many upgrades for them.

The biggest issue is the fact that to build any kind of boost you need to load the engine so to do that you'll need to slip the clutch. When it decides to build boost it will litterally shred the clutch disc. An auto would work much better for what you want to do.

86-87 has all the support mods compared to the others which have little options in the way of plug & play parts. I hope its the 86-87 or you may have some issues asides from the normal ones when doing this conversion.

as an option...

to the tranny, might check out Lonnie Diers clutched 400 on his web site. It's extreme automatics and can be found on home page in the advertisers list on the right column.:biggrin: Take the time to read and get yourself up to speed w/these engines and combo, and you will save a lot of disappointment and frustration. You have a good community here and we are always willing to help.:cool:

My problem is the sm465 manual trans is powering my winch because it's PTO takes it's power directly from the trans not the transfercase. The only thing I really need now is a really strong clutch that will work in this engine tranny combo. Their is no question that the tranny/transfercase and pto can't handle the power, because it can. And as for boost, this isn't a drag truck. this is for off roading. I want to mainly switch this because the 305 thats in it now has very little power and almost no good upgrades, and I want better fuel milage without sacrificing power.

My problem is the sm465 manual trans is powering my winch because it's PTO takes it's power directly from the trans not the transfercase. The only thing I really need now is a really strong clutch that will work in this engine tranny combo. Their is no question that the tranny/transfercase and pto can't handle the power, because it can. And as for boost, this isn't a drag truck. this is for off roading. I want to mainly switch this because the 305 thats in it now has very little power and almost no good upgrades, and I want better fuel milage without sacrificing power.

I don't think you understand how the turbo powered engine works. It really doesn't have a lot of power (about 150 HP maybe) until the turbo kicks in, then it has a whole bunch more. Unlike a diesel that has a ton of low end power the V6 gas engine doesn't produce much until the boost starts affecting cylinder pressure. For what you're planning and how it will work I really do sugest that you read a lot on the board and ask questions. There are many ways to get better mileage and reducing the engine size is one of them, but you'll sacrifice a lot of torque and HP to start with, until the boost kicks in.

The Buick turbo motor in a truck would possible work for mud or sand drags or hill climbs, that's about it. If you still insist on using it with the SM465, for that kind of power combined with the weight of the truck you would have to use any of the many hd clutches that are made to work with that tranny. Then you have to find or make a flywheel for the 3.8 that is big enough for the 12 inch clutch that would normally be used with that tranny. A Chevy V8 typically would use a 168 flywheel and a 12 inch clutch with that trans. Then of course you have to find a starter that will work for that setup. Good luck.

save a lot of headaches and either just put a big block chevy in it or build a 383 small block.
personally, i'd go with a nice 454 built for low to mid range torque.
another option that takes a bit more work is a Caddy 500.

Thanks but the only V8 I want to put back in her is a buick 455, and I hear that the older 3.8s had the manual option so would I be able to adapt one of those old flywheels to a 12 in clutch?

You can get a flywheel from autozone or any parts company. Just get one for a 78-79 regal, but you can only run a 10.5" clutch max. The flywheel isn't big enough to run a 12" one.

You need to see if the input shafts are the same first. If I remember right the SM465 uses a slightly larger input.

sounds like a neat project but for a mud truck id def go a different route. now if it was a show truck or a lifted truck that doesnt see the trails it would be ok. not enough power down low and like charlie said itll be tough to maintain boost especially with twin turbo setup. anyway good luck

Back