You can type here any text you want

1987 Grand National - attempted theft from home driveway

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ericmccann

I just wanted to put an APB (All Points Bulletin) about the attempted theft of my 1987 Buick Regal Grand National between 16:00 July 6th and 19:00 July 7th. I still have the car, but the evidence is in the passenger side window scraper being torn to bits in the key areas of someone trying to jimmy the lock open. Looks like perhaps my wife interrupted the attempted theft by possibly opening the garage door during the attempted theft (just a logical guess).

I have a police report on file with a damage report.

I have also taken several measures to ensure that the engine cannot be started and have moved the car to a 'safe' location.

Vehicle information:

1987 Grand National
Owner: Eric McCann
VIN: 1G4GJ117XHP441890
Mileage: 79,644

If anyone sees this VIN # up for discussion without my name, PLEASE e-mail me!

Thanks!

Eric McCann
Germantown, WI
mccann.eric@gmail.com

I got two names for you. SMITH & WESSON. Thank god they didnt get it.

Right on. If my wife wasn't so opposed to firearms in the house... Ugh! I'm right there with ya though.

I yanked the computer, chips from the computer, disconnected the computer in various locations and pulled the starter. :-) The only way it's leaving is through a barricade and a flatbed.

I think that will be a deterrent. :-)

Best,

Eric

Right on. If my wife wasn't so opposed to firearms in the house... Ugh! I'm right there with ya though.

I yanked the computer, chips from the computer, disconnected the computer in various locations and pulled the starter. :-) The only way it's leaving is through a barricade and a flatbed.

I think that will be a deterrent. :-)

Best,

Eric

If this car sits in a garage. have someone hilti tiedown plates to floor and chain it tight to them. I used to chain mine to sewer grate when i lived in Chicago

I know how you feel they got mine though right in front of the house luckily i got mine back

I have a convertible project in the garage and thought that the driveway was the next best place to put it. It appears that I was mistaken.

Yep...

I have a convertible project in the garage and thought that the driveway was the next best place to put it. It appears that I was mistaken.

It's about come to the point of taking the tires off, pulling the engine, and parking junkers all around it. And, doing it each time you park it. :mad:
DAMN thieves should be shot on sight. :eek:
Glad they didn't get the job done.:cool:
Seeing as many posts on "parting cars out", it won't be long B4 they're all scrapped, or stolen and destroyed.

Attempted theft #2 - 2 days in a row now

It's about come to the point of taking the tires off, pulling the engine, and parking junkers all around it. And, doing it each time you park it. :mad:
DAMN thieves should be shot on sight. :eek:
Glad they didn't get the job done.:cool:
Seeing as many posts on "parting cars out", it won't be long B4 they're all scrapped, or stolen and destroyed.

I did notice more window scraper damage around both doors today after work - while the car is located in my back yard and completely unnoticable from the street. This tells me that someone is keeping an eye on my home, while my wife and young children are home. Called police again, filed another report and my local police department promised to do periodic daytime walk-throughs on my yard AND have a moderately dedicated and hopefully un-noticeable post around my home.

I disconnected a bunch more stuff so-as to force said thief to make a lot of effort and noise to steal the car. Tomorrow, the car is going into hiding - literally.

After all of this, I'm now forced to sell the car.

Make offer: I want $18K and it's worth every penny. I spent several $$$$ to get the car back to the stock-ish condition that it's in right now. This is slightly negotiable just because it needs a front end alignment.

Details:

1987 Buick Regal Grand National
Mileage: 79644
NO RUST, body is in great shape.
T-tops, upgraded radio to Syclone w/CD player, power windows, power locks, Digital Dash, ice cold A/C, tilt, cruise, all new emblems, rebuilt shifter console with NOS shifter + handle, Matching #'s engine, trans, original Turbo and Intercooler, TT chip, replaced basically everything electronically for the motor, etc. It's a solid car. I bought it - it should be.

Need pictures, please ask.

Thanks!!!!

Eric McCann
Germantown, WI

Happened again early this morning at about 4:00 a.m. My 5 year-old daughter woke up hearing two voices in the back yard and came to bed to tell me and I went to look and the rear motion lights were on. I grabbed a weapon, went out the front door and there was nobody there. The tape seals I placed around the window seals and window were broken.

Somebody wants this car. I'm staying up all night tonight and waiting for them. Wish me luck. :-)

Do I have a right to hurt an intruder on my property?

Thanks!

Eric McCann

Dang someone is determined, time for a data center camera (one that only turns on when it detects motion) mounted in a window pointing at your car, and a GOOD set of motion lights so the camera gets usable footage.

The only state that I'm aware of where shooting robbers might not get you jail time is Texas, pretty sure all the other states only allow deadly force for self preservation and not protection of property. If I'm wrong and other states allow it I'm sure someone will chime in.

Seriously though 2 attempts in a few days time is just unreal, someone REALLY wants that car. I live on a dead end road with a long driveway but anytime I leave to go on vacation or out of town more than a few hours, I park my car at my sister's house, she lives in the woods with 9 acres and her mom in law lives beside her and friends behind her, nothing happens they don't see, very secure over there :)

It's actually three attempts to steal it over the last three days straight. I'm staying up all night tonight to see what happens. I called the police again and told them everything I found and that I'm staying up all night tonight to watch for the bad guys. When I told them that I went outside the front door to sneak around the back yard to catch them, the police said that I should call them either directly or call 911. My response to the 911 thing was that it's not an emergency, but they said that if the act of vehicle theft is in progress then I'm within my rights to call 911. The point is that they didn't want me running around outside trying to catch people. They said that if I call, they'll send someone over immediately. In my town, that's about 2 -3 minutes, but they also use the sirens which obviously would scare anyone off. So here I sit, waiting - and I will call the police if I see anything. It's far more advantageous to follow the rules of the land than to make them up as you go along.

Thanks for your support.

Eric

keep an eye out to see what car they get out of to get that plate number.Be safe dnt try and capture them yourself they could be armed you never know.

spoolin is right on... these guys usually have a look out waiting for somebody to play hero that's the guy you don't see ..don't confront unless you have all your bases covered then it's time to go to work !!!!!

Anybody arrogant enough to try three times in three days must be crazy. For starters, I would get a good watch dog for the family while your at work, and at night.

Car is now parked in by other cars and I set a perimeter trigger around my entire yard and car. I'm staying up all night watching. I will heed the police department advice to call them if I see something. After all, it's just a car. I'm more concerned for the safety of my family.

MY 5 year-old daughter insists that she heard something early this morning and I'm now starting to believe her.

I'll keep you posted tomorrow. :-) I hope nothing happens.

Best,

Eric

Mad

Car is now parked in by other cars and I set a perimeter trigger around my entire yard and car. I'm staying up all night watching. I will heed the police department advice to call them if I see something. After all, it's just a car. I'm more concerned for the safety of my family.

MY 5 year-old daughter insists that she heard something early this morning and I'm now starting to believe her.

I'll keep you posted tomorrow. :-) I hope nothing happens.

Best,

Eric

I HATE TO HERE THINGS LIKE THIS I WOULD PROBABLY SHOOT THEM AND MAKE UP A STORY ABOUT MY SAFETY BEING IN DANGER. ITS SCARE HAVING THREE ATTEMPTS I WOULDN'T SALE MY CAR FOR A REASON LIKE YOURS ERIC KEEP YOUR AWARNESS AT A HIGH LEVEL.

Matter Fact I Would Just Shoot My Firearm Towards The Ground Letting Them Know Your Not Playing.

Back