You can type here any text you want

1987 Grand National - attempted theft from home driveway

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Holy **** dude what kind of people do you have living in your neighborhood?

It's not necessarily who lives in his neighborhood.

Years ago, my uncle and his friend bought brand new Harley's, and he and his friend would park them in my parent's garage, and would come over if they wanted to ride them.
My uncle made this comment, and it applies here. He said, "I feel safe having my bike parked in your neighborhood. No wait, people from neighborhoods like mine come to neighborhoods like yours to steal."
I would say it probably is someone familiar with the area though to have tried three nights in a row.

If someone does try again, look for their escape car, get the plate number, model and make, and then scare them away. Hopefully you can get them to take off and leave their buddies behind. It'll be easier for the police to catch them if they are on foot. Don't go running after them in your bathrobe with a wooden spoon though. Because like spoolin said, they might be armed, so be careful. They are criminals after all.

Well maybe not but one thing is for sure someone knows what you have and wants it bad. In my experience if you live in a thug ghetto area you're going to have punks that want to steal your stuff. It can be anything.

im kinda wondering what happened? Wasnt the steak out last night? I hope Eric is alright and has good news?

Wow Eric, this is a shocker after having sent you parts to help get the car going...I hope those a$$holes get caught redhanded without doing any more damage to your car. If you don't know anybody with a secure garage you can use I'd get it in a gated indoor storage facility pretty quick. I really hope you end up being able to keep your GN after reading how much you & the family enjoy it. This is why my GN stays in the garage all the time with power cut off to the garage door opener and another vehicle parked just outside the door. Also, it's an attached garage so whoever breaks into it is breaking into my home and is going to be facing me with one or more of the several loaded weapons I have in my house. "Well officer, he forcefully entered my home and I felt endangered when he came after me with that [whatever tool/weapon I decide to plant in his dead hand]." Best of luck Eric.

Eric...I just read this thread and it's unbelievable the nads these clowns have. Do you have any local buick buddy's that could help you out? Keeping your family safe is paramount but damn I'd like to see you catch them in the act. Like all the other guys in here, they invest not only $$$ but time, blood and sweat only to have some clown to destroy your hard work. keep us posted and I wish you luck.

Update:

My DSL was down so I apologize for the delay in updating.

The other night, I stayed up all night long and nothing happened. Nothing happened last night either. I have a "club" on the steering wheel now at all times and it still gets parked in the back yard. I had it out yesterday in the driveway for half the day and nothing happened. I have it out right now in the driveway to tinker with so I'm sure nobody will bug me now either.

I live in a nice area, but on a fairly busy road. This is the sort of place where I usually don;t feel the need to lock my house doors or my car doors. In fact, I've been leaving my car doors unlocked living here for the last 9 years. Nothing has happened until now. The police are really good here in my community. My wife once left the dome light on in my Lexus GS300 and at about 2:45 a.m. the police stopped on their own, while we were asleep to check it out. That day, the car was locked, and the police left a notice that they saw that the light was on and investigated to ensure that there was no break-in. That's the sort of community I live in. :-) I can say that I have had a false sense of security here and up until now, I consider myself lucky. Now we lock everything. Stuff like this changes ones' perspective.

So, for now, I still have the car and nobody has tampered with it for the last two days. I couldn't believe it myself; the gall of these people for three days straight trying to steal it. That 4th night, I was more than ready for them. Yesterday morning was a b***h getting to work though. Tired...

Thanks for all of your concern and input. I REALLY do appreciate it. I think that it's important to let folks like you know just in case. :-)

For now, I still have my toy. Wife says it's still going up for sale though.

No Buick enthusiasts nearby to help out in a pinch so I'm on my own. I do have my Italian car buddies though. One has a farm and a barn where he keeps his cars where he has offered for me to keep it there. I think I may do that. It's only 10 minutes away so not a big deal. Just would be an inconvenience to them whenever I want to drive it. I don't like to inconvenience people.

I'm going to keep it here for now, keep taking the measures I've been taking and hope for the best. It's insured. I need to get it appraised also. My insurance company actually has asked me to get it appraised too. Next on my list. :-)

Thanks again everyone for your support!

Best,

Eric McCann
Germantown, WI

Eric,

Glad to hear the car and (especially) the family are OK. I've always locked everything and I've always considered the area I live in to be pretty nice, but one night my '95 Pontiac Grand Am got broken into. They smashed out the driver's side window (presumably while a train was passing by or something else was making some cover-up noise), stole my pool cue that was in the back seat floor area, and destroyed my Pioneer CD player trying to pry it out of the dash. Idiots must not have realized I actually installed it properly instead of just sliding it into the hole in the dash and leaving it like that. The 3 guys that did this were caught that same night after breaking into 6 other cars. They'd get what they could from one car, stash it in an uninvolved person's yard, and go hit up another car. The person whose yard they were stashing their loot in saw them and called the police, who then just had to follow the footprints in the snow. Morons... I was supposed to get full restitution but only ever saw one check for $123.00--not even nearly enough to cover the window they busted out, let alone the CD player, pool cue (presumably disappeared as "evidence"), and my lost wages to stay home from work for a day to file the police report and wait for somebody to come and replace the window.

Anyway, it's a real shame the wife says the GN has to go--why not the other project in the garage?;) I've got a set of brand new window scrapers in the box I'll sell ya if you need them. I bought them just a couple of weeks ago to hang onto (what can I say, I'm a GN packrat:biggrin:) but right now I could use the cash for more important things. Take care...

UPDATE:

They tried again on Thursday during the day. To no avail. I still have my car.

I'm trying everything I can to keep the car. Wife is not happy. :-(

I drove it to work today in downtown Milwaukee and I still have it. I figure that it's safer there in a parking structure than in my back yard. I cannot afford a storage facility and I only have a two-car garage with my other convertible project in it so I'm kinda in a jam in terms of where to put it.

I think I'll have no choice other than to sell it. Sucks because the car is really nice and the engine runs SO NICE due to all of your help. I love this car. I feel like my soul is connected to it - if that makes any sense.

I was cruising down the road just about 10 minutes ago going about 35 and I hit it and the tires smoked. It's rare that I REALLY hit it like that, but it's so refreshing to know that the power is there if I want it.

Raced a 87 Monte Carlo today on my way home from work. We were in an industrial park on a LONG straight, flat 4 lane concrete road and we hit it when I pulled up next to him. All I saw was his front end way behind me.

This car really likes concrete pavement. No spin of the rear wheels, just the push of my back into the back of my seat in a way I've never felt. Good stuff. Did I mention that I love this car?

Best,

Eric McCann

Eric,

I feel sorry for you. These clowns have big kahunas (obviously) to keep trying to steal your car.

I'd hate to wonder what other cars you have. I am beginning to think that it doesn't matter if it's a GN or an old GSX or an old Chevelle or what....thieves will steal anything that's worth a little bit.

Might be time to set up some top quality security cameras so that way you can at least get an idea of who it is that is coming into your yard and making these repeated theft attempts in broad daylight.

Also do you have any trees in your back yard? A big log chain tied around the rear axle and the tree might need to be in order.

Seriously I'd at least try to find out who keeps doing this. It might be someone you know.

wow!! i thought it was bad here, eric go too X10 - Wireless, Wired, Security and Surveillance Cameras
get a infrared or night-watch camera wired ( wireless is good but it all depends on how far the wireless base is away from the camera ) get a little 13 inch tv/monitor and plug it up, that way you can watch your gn while in the comforts of your own bedroom, you could place the camera in your little girls bedroom window faceing your buick,( i have 2 and 1 you can look at the window all day and hardly notice it. for about $150 bucks with tv you should be good to go. WE ALL SPEND TONS OF MONEY ON GO FAST PRODUCTS but rely on cheap alarms to protect our investments. THE CLUB IS A JOKE :eek: ,
they'll cut thru the steering wheel in about 1min. then slide it right off your better off with a colum lock eBay Motors: GM Steering Column Lock Anti-Theft Device NEW (item 170239368741 end time Jul-23-08 08:53:44 PDT)

I would'nt LET THESE SCUM BAGS!! decide what you have to do with your car, this is something you wanted, something that brings you joy. i know not everyone thinks alike but it'll be a cold day in hell when i have to alter my life due to some idiot's. i have had a GN stolen from me and i swore that will never happen again ( i felt rape'd :mad: and wanted blood !!)

Some might think i over do it ( steering column lock, alarm by gm with keypad- 2 camera's with night vision -low-jack early warning system and my trust worthy friends. --see pics of my friends-) but i sleep better, i have a 500 watt flood light with motion sensor which lights up everything.
i read most of the threads and you did the right thing get your weapon and be ready. PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO BE RAMBO!, i've been in the military and consider myself well trained but only a fool rush's in an unknown situation.
whenever i think i see something fishy, i grab my AR-15 OR my Kimber 45 and stand next to my window which oversee's my gn and asses the situation.

i believe your daughter's room over looks the back yard? if so seems like a good spot to view what's going on, ( of course with a camera you would already have a heads up) remember as long as you were in fear of your life or that of a love one you have the right to protect yourself at all times.
It all starts this way but them seeing they could get away with going into your yard and nothing happening how long will it be before they even try the back door of your house ( good forbid ) what i'm trying to say eric is protect yourself and your family, I would be more PISSED OFF :mad: :mad: that these a-holes are near my daughter's(?) bedroom. i think you need to bring that to the police's attention.

good luck eric and i understand the wife not likeing guns around mine was the same way at first, but you have to sit her down and explain when your at work and she's home alone with the little one, that gun could make her not only feel more secure but it could altimately save her and your daughter from any harm.and i too believe someone is watching your home, a thief will break into something when he feels comfortable. so they know when your home or not home. if you ask me i'd say it's someone that lives in your neighbor hood.
BE SAFE!! i hope i did'nt over do it but it works for me and i live in a screwed up part of town it used to be good here but alot has changed.

column lock eBay Motors: GM Steering Column Lock Anti-Theft Device NEW (item 170239368741 end time Jul-23-08 08:53:44 PDT)

and my friends

Attachments

• Picture 239.jpg
    Picture 239.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 730
  • Picture 244.jpg
    Picture 244.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 733
  • Picture 242.jpg
    Picture 242.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 726
iF YOU DECIDE TO KEEP IT IN YOUR BACK YARD HOW ABOUT LOOKING INTO A GOOD WATCHDOG AND TIE IT NEAR THE CAR.

I had the police come again last night because I saw two cars staked out in the parking lot across the street. I had them first see what was up with the two cars and their occupants, then the police came to my house where I explained the situation for a 4th time. They are great about responding quickly.

Turns out that the car across the street were friends of a neighborhood teenager, but they are all thugs. The officer was familiar with two of the 3 people and said that they are always in trouble. Anyway, I had a friend of mine here at the time and he agreed that I should call so I did. I'm starting to think I'm being paraniod, but I really don't think I am. I just don't want my car ripped off.

Anyway, no attempts last night that I'm aware of and up to this point it's all been vandalism during the theft attempts.

My duaghter's bedroom actually faces the front of the house. My bedroom is in the back and I didn't even hear what she heard the other night (people talking in the back yard). I did tell the police about that as well so they are aware that there is at least one witness to the fact that there is more than one person involved in the thet attempts.

I keep my friends very close and really none of them want the car. They think it's cool and all, but that's about it. All of my friends know how picky I am about my cars and how I notice EVERY little thing. Most of my 'car' buddies are all into Italian cars (my previous hobby) and really couldn't care less about having a GN, but I could be wrong.

Someone has to be watching over the house. This much, I'm convinced.

I just think I need to sell it. I've never had problems here in the 9 years I've been here up until I got the GN. Now I'm on constant alert. I shouldn't have to live that way.

Offers?

Flickr albums of the car can be seen here:

Just another day with the 1987 Buick Grand National - a set on Flickr
Eric and Jennie's 1987 GN and Steve K's 1975 Fiat Spider - a set on Flickr
Eric and Jennie's 1987 Grand National with T-tops off - a set on Flickr
1987 GN - Engine - a set on Flickr
G-town & Shawano crew - 2008 - a set on Flickr

No rust on this car. Body is totally solid. RPO codes are listed on one the album sets as a photograph of the RPO code tag on the decklid.

If anyone is interested, please let me know/make offer.

79,700 miles.
1987 Buick Regal Grand National
T-tops, digital dash, A/C works great, heavily optioned car. Nice!

Thanks!

Eric McCann
Germantown, WI

They tried a fourth time? It seems like they want that car bad. It may not even be the fact that it is a GN any more. Now it is the one that got away.
I wouldn't doubt that those two across the street are involved. They were scoping the place out. Yeah, they may have know a kid down the street, but that doesn't mean that they weren't trying to take your car.
The thing is, it sounds like they are going to keep trying until they either get it or get caught trying. I would do what you can to catch them in the act. Get a camera set up with motion sensor lights. I would also make sure that you get Lo-Jack, or some other locater. That way if they do get it, hopefully they won't get far before they get caught. Just make sure that you have it disabled, if they get into a chase, they'll either get away, or crack it up.
Or, if you know some people that know some people......(knowwutImean?) Maybe drop a hint that you know who is trying to swipe your car and you take it personal. Once they think you know, then maybe they'll back off.
Good Luck, but don't get yourself in trouble trying to stop them. Family first, car later.

That, my friend is the ex-girlfriend of a friend of mine. She's coming back to have more pictures taken with the GN when it's (or they're) clean. She's proud of the GN and during the last week has posted some of those pics on her MySpace page (which I will not give out).

She's hot. Hotter in person, super cool, loves to party, etc. I'm happily married though, but I'll tell you this... My wife came home with my children during that photo shoot and she (my wife) was less than thrilled. Hard to come across chicks like that on the fly in my area.

She'll be back!!!

Later!

Eric

That, my friend is the ex-girlfriend of a friend of mine. She's coming back to have more pictures taken with the GN when it's (or they're) clean. She's proud of the GN and during the last week has posted some of those pics on her MySpace page (which I will not give out).

She's hot. Hotter in person, super cool, loves to party, etc. I'm happily married though, but I'll tell you this... My wife came home with my children during that photo shoot and she (my wife) was less than thrilled. Hard to come across chicks like that on the fly in my area.

She'll be back!!!

Later!

Eric

Ummmm.....please post more pics of her....PLEEEEEZZE!!!!! Wow! :eek: :biggrin:

sorry to hear about the *repeated* theft attempts. those are some STUPID thieves! Back in the early 90's, my buddy had a 80-something 442 that he parked in his driveway (daily driver). He had a similar experience where some scumbags tried to steal his car more than once. After the second attempt, he went out and bought a set of baby monitors and put one under a t-shirt on the front seat and the other one on his nightstand. After about a week, they tried a third time. This time, my buddy heard them on the baby monitor, woke up his older (body builder) brother, and they both grabbed aluminum baseball bats. One went out the side door and the other one went out the back door, they came around to the front of the house from both sides. Apparently the turd car theives heard my buddy and his brother coming and they bolted for their getaway car. They got away before my friend and his brother could get their hands on them, but my friend's brother managed to bust out a tail-light and add a nice size dent in the rear quarter panel by throwing his basball bat. They never came back.

The security cameras would work better than just a baby monitor, but a bay monitor would be better than nothing. Just make sure you have a supply of fresh batteries.

HTH,
Rob

She has agreed to come back to take more pictures with the car. ...and she has a hot friend who is willing to do it with her.... YeeHaw! I'll post when available.

Back