1991 S10 / Buick 3.8 project

AMC_TT6

Long time no post here, but I figured it was the best place to go for advice.

My friend practically gave me her 2.5l 5 speed 2wd 1991 Chev S-10 after the motor stopped pulling 3rd on any grade, and made whining noises at 45 mph.
I have a N/A 1985 Buick 3.8L block mated a set of heads off a 98 Regal that I'm planning( and indeed preparing) to drop in when I get a few more issues ironed out.

First one is the trans. I've been stuck driving a huffed Cavalier 3.1 RS for the past two years with an automatic, and badly want to keep the truck standard for entertainment purposes. Is there a bellhousing to mount a World Class T-5 to a 3.8? I've heard rumours about the 2.8/3.1 being the same, but nothing substantial.

Second ties into the first. I know I want forced induction, but I'm not sure which kind would be best for a do-it-all street terror truck. (Good handler, drivable in traffic, yet able to pin me to back of my seat if need be)
I've driven supercharged and turbo cars of all sorts, but never a RWD Buick.
Suggestions?

Third one is computer related (and ties into both of the above) is the computer. I plan on upgrading the engine's electronics to the good stuff (Coilpacks, SFI, ect.), but I'm not sure if I should buy a Painless harness and rewire the engine from scratch, pirate the harness from a donor car and have the ECU reflashed, or just pop in a pirated harness.

Any and all help with this is appreciated!

there are quite a few series 2 camaro/firebird 3800 drivetrain/pcm/harness combos running around with turbos on them in s 10's and they are beasts

a stock 97-07 3800 short block has gone 8's they can take a crapload of boost and have great tuneability

Long time no post here, but I figured it was the best place to go for advice.

My friend practically gave me her 2.5l 5 speed 2wd 1991 Chev S-10 after the motor stopped pulling 3rd on any grade, and made whining noises at 45 mph.
I have a N/A 1985 Buick 3.8L block mated a set of heads off a 98 Regal that I'm planning( and indeed preparing) to drop in when I get a few more issues ironed out.

First one is the trans. I've been stuck driving a huffed Cavalier 3.1 RS for the past two years with an automatic, and badly want to keep the truck standard for entertainment purposes. Is there a bellhousing to mount a World Class T-5 to a 3.8? I've heard rumours about the 2.8/3.1 being the same, but nothing substantial.

Second ties into the first. I know I want forced induction, but I'm not sure which kind would be best for a do-it-all street terror truck. (Good handler, drivable in traffic, yet able to pin me to back of my seat if need be)
I've driven supercharged and turbo cars of all sorts, but never a RWD Buick.
Suggestions?

Third one is computer related (and ties into both of the above) is the computer. I plan on upgrading the engine's electronics to the good stuff (Coilpacks, SFI, ect.), but I'm not sure if I should buy a Painless harness and rewire the engine from scratch, pirate the harness from a donor car and have the ECU reflashed, or just pop in a pirated harness.

Any and all help with this is appreciated!

What makes it hard is the width of a buick V6

Swapping a buick into an S10 is a bit of an undertaking. oil pan is first to address, it will need to be cut and fabbed as well as motor mounts. Keeping the A/C system will require engine relocation as well as trans mounts and cross members. a regular BOP bellhousing will accept a T5 unless it is the FORD W/C which has a different patten - all other manual pieces will be buick. It will require a aftermarket hydralic throwout bearing to make it all fit properly.

your best bet..... swap in a 4.3 V6 or a SBC. will cost less and it all fits using over the counter parts......could be done for under 1500 if your ebay savvy.

A.j.

What makes it hard is the width of a buick V6

Swapping a buick into an S10 is a bit of an undertaking. oil pan is first to address, it will need to be cut and fabbed as well as motor mounts. Keeping the A/C system will require engine relocation as well as trans mounts and cross members. a regular BOP bellhousing will accept a T5 unless it is the FORD W/C which has a different patten - all other manual pieces will be buick. It will require a aftermarket hydralic throwout bearing to make it all fit properly.

your best bet..... swap in a 4.3 V6 or a SBC. will cost less and it all fits using over the counter parts......could be done for under 1500 if your ebay savvy.

A.j.

Yeah, I saw it was a bit wide when I parked the longblock next to a cracked 350 SBC block I have. I'm actually considering pulling all the turbo crap off my 3.1 and doing up a longitudal 60 degree V6 now, mostly due to the fact that I have a great baseline that sits right around where I wanna end up (280 whp on 89 o pump gas)

You do raise a good idea with the 4.3, but I'm less likely to forcefeed a bigger motor, and I'm even less likely to throw a SBC in (feels like cheating, y'know? Easy to do, just ain't how I roll).

You mentioned a regular BOP bell, are those common? I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's a Ford WC T-5. Kinda a moot point, but I don't wanna let that fresh longblock go to waste! (and Just a heads up to anyone else that mentions A/C, I forgot to mention this is a fairly bare bones work truck)

Yeah, I saw it was a bit wide when I parked the longblock next to a cracked 350 SBC block I have. I'm actually considering pulling all the turbo crap off my 3.1 and doing up a longitudal 60 degree V6 now, mostly due to the fact that I have a great baseline that sits right around where I wanna end up (280 whp on 89 o pump gas)

You do raise a good idea with the 4.3, but I'm less likely to forcefeed a bigger motor, and I'm even less likely to throw a SBC in (feels like cheating, y'know? Easy to do, just ain't how I roll).

You mentioned a regular BOP bell, are those common? I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's a Ford WC T-5. Kinda a moot point, but I don't wanna let that fresh longblock go to waste! (and Just a heads up to anyone else that mentions A/C, I forgot to mention this is a fairly bare bones work truck)

a 3.1 or even a 3.4 would be a great start to more power than the duke - since it is factory available it will bolt in with over the counter parts. finding a donor vehicle with all of the ECU parts is your best bet.

Dont think that stepping up to a 4.3 is going to be too much for forced induction - well not for me atleast, and you too will find yourself wanting more! LOL anyways, going with a more common motor opens up the availability of more parts. Plus if you go right ahead with the 4.3 theres never a question as to if you have enough motor - only going to a SBC is going to improve that. theres no replacement for displacement.

yea for the BOP bell housing, i just hit up ebay and bought a bell from a late 70s firebird.

As for A/C.... i have it in mine, and it has proven a most worthy adversary in buick to S10 swap, with out it though..... the swap is alot easier.

A.j.

a 3.1 or even a 3.4 would be a great start to more power than the duke - since it is factory available it will bolt in with over the counter parts. finding a donor vehicle with all of the ECU parts is your best bet.

Dont think that stepping up to a 4.3 is going to be too much for forced induction - well not for me atleast, and you too will find yourself wanting more! LOL anyways, going with a more common motor opens up the availability of more parts. Plus if you go right ahead with the 4.3 theres never a question as to if you have enough motor - only going to a SBC is going to improve that. theres no replacement for displacement.

yea for the BOP bell housing, i just hit up ebay and bought a bell from a late 70s firebird.

As for A/C.... i have it in mine, and it has proven a most worthy adversary in buick to S10 swap, with out it though..... the swap is alot easier.

A.j.

Man, you're just a goldmine of great info!
Half the reason I'm building a 6 is because I still need a fairly efficient motor for around town, and good power for togue.
I'll start the Donor hunting later, I think I have some more research to do!
Thanks A.j.!

Man, you're just a goldmine of great info!
Half the reason I'm building a 6 is because I still need a fairly efficient motor for around town, and good power for togue.
I'll start the Donor hunting later, I think I have some more research to do!
Thanks A.j.!

Well in my first S10 I pulled off the swap using an 82 carbed motor and it was alot of fun but not easy to pull off. I kept the power steering, AC and it took some serious thinking, not to mention the steering ended up having to be re routed. But it was a riot to drive with a T5 and 3.73s

These days my latest S10 is running a Duke thats a complete dog - every simple trick I could throw on it made meager power improvements. I dont want to try another buick swap and I havent decided weather I want to go the 4.3 route either - secretly I have been building a recipe for a stroker 4 banger Duke, just for ****s and giggles and to fight the norm......

But I know what your thinking and what you want to do! LOL

Good Luck

:cool: A.j.

A stroker Iron duke? That just sounds badass.
Or you could join me on the turbo 60 route!
My cav's 3.1 has a lot of the stuff that most domestic car kids dream of.
Splayed valve, aluminum heads, multi-port injection, what amounts to a cross ram intake, good intake volume and a pretty lumpy camshaft.

I found a bit of info floating around, and I figured I'd post the link for your viewing pleasure.

Building the engine for boost - The BEST Source For All Your GM 60ºV6 Needs

I just read this and if you're using a set of heads off a 98(year?) Then you might have a problem. 98 was series II and I haven't found anyone selling or making an intake for these heads on an off center block. And AJ, if you wnat a bigger engine go look in a boat. Mercury marine uses a 3.0 version of the iron duke in there boats.

I just read this and if you're using a set of heads off a 98(year?) Then you might have a problem. 98 was series II and I haven't found anyone selling or making an intake for these heads on an off center block. And AJ, if you wnat a bigger engine go look in a boat. Mercury marine uses a 3.0 version of the iron duke in there boats.

Ah ha! I knew somebody would be on to me.... and I had a funny feeling it would be you! LOL Damn.... i wish you lived closer Charlie.... sounds like we think the same way! LOL

Well, i am stealing the crank from the 3.0 to use in the 91 block, it has the larger stroke, but will require some machining time, to make the crank fit the block. particularly in the rear main seal area.

i am however just tinking about buying a billet crank.... saves me the machine time!

A.j.

I've got the poncho power book somewhere AJ. If you want I can try to find it and give you the part# for the super duty crank ect. Remember when the Fiero was at the drags? I've got the complete break down and part #.

I've got the poncho power book somewhere AJ. If you want I can try to find it and give you the part# for the super duty crank ect. Remember when the Fiero was at the drags? I've got the complete break down and part #.

You know, If i could just find a Pontiac crank I would be happy.... Ive been looking on and off for 2 years and have yet to find one!

A.j.

I'll see if I can find the book and give you the supplier info as well as the names of the teams that used to use them. You might get lucky that way.

Unfortunately not with a 3.8 V6.
The 2.8/ 3.1 stroker did make it in however!
It makes a lightly boosted (9 psi) 240 hp at the crank, and got great milage.
I'm still considering installing the 3800 in a truck, but now atleast I have something to drive!(y)