You can type here any text you want

1999 Ss

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WR450rider

Someone that I work with has a 99ish Camaro SS. Black with some rims. Looks good. Well, he has never had it to the track so we're going up next wednesday. I have an 87GN with a K&N, flowmaster, test pipe, 160 therm., and just the normal things. Do I have a chance againt him. My best time is a 14.02.

Thanks

You better get some 110 or 116 octane race fuel and turn up the boost. His car should be a mid to low 13 second ride if its stock. If its got mods he could be in the 12's. You'll definately need more boost.

yeah if you got a test pipe you could run some good gas... 116 would be nice... crank up to 22+ psi and hold on... hopefully you have some good tires since if you could launch pretty hard you should have him...

wr450... nice bike i just bought a yz450 this year aswell!

If he has never been to the track before, yes you have a chance. To maximize your chance do as the others say and run good gas. Even 100UL should allow you to raise boost up to 20# with your street chip.

Stock I went 13.52, and the SS has steeper gears than my 2.73; 3.23 if he's got an auto and 3.42 for a manual. If he has any idea how to drive than you're gonna need some more mods.

TommyV8 is right, My GN when it had a flowmaster 3" cat-back, 3" test pipe, K&N, Thermostat, FPR, and a shift kit went 13.61 @ 101.10mph....My Girlfirend drove (In OD) her auto 2000Z28 to a 13.60 @ 105.52mph! Her car was (and still is) 100% bone stock off the show room floor, including tires and stock replacement air filter. A buddy of mine also had his Mom's 2001 convert. SS (auto) at the track and went 13.22 @ 106.XXmph.... Gotta watch out for those LS1 cars, they move! ;)

Yeah, my g/f drove her bone stock, automatic, paper filtered, 2.73-geared '01 Z28 to 13.36 @ 105, faster than mine. :( Gotta watch out for the ladies in those LS1 cars!;)

Yea, I wasn't gonna do much to my GN in the way of performance when I picked it up 3 months ago, but after seeing her post better times and mph....Well, needless to say shes scared to even ride in the GN now....:D

My brother has a stock 99 SS with automatic tranny and it runs 8.9s at 82mph, in the 1/8 mile, consistently. It will give a true stock GN, at 14-15# with the OEM chip, a run for its money. Turn up the boost to 22# with some VP116 and smile :). Let us know how it turns out..

Mike Banas
87GN

I think you're gonna get beat. I hope I'm wrong, but I have/had 3 LS1s in the family. A '99 SS, a '99 Z28 and an '02 WS6 TA. All are/were low 13 second cars off the showroom floor.

Jim

If your best time is 14 sec. I would not mess with a 99 ss, even if the ss was stock. You better pull out all the stops, race gas so u can crank up your boost, slicks, and new plugs (just to keep it cheap). You might also want to take your car to a good TR shop or mechanic for some tunning, I think with your mods you should run a little better than 14s. Maybe one of the guys on this forum that live near you will volunteer their service and expertise. With everything I listed and the tune up, you stand a great chance aginst a basically stock 99 ss. Good luck.

Ya I got wooped by an ls1 way back in my first couple years too. Unless you are setup, I wouldnt run. You'll want at least 18psi of boost but probably more. If its all in good fun, and dont have to worry about smack talk then what the heck, you guys are friends ?

Two of my friends have SS Camaro's. Ones a 99 6-speed w/ SLP loud mouth exhaust, runs 12.91@111mph. The other is an 01 automatic w/ a K&N filter. It ran 13.0@108mph spinning on the launch and leaving it in D. It now has a magnaflow same side exit dual pipe exhaust on it. If the 01 had slicks, he'd have ran in the 12's w/ just his K&N. Sick cars. A GN can beat one, but don't think that all LS1's are pushovers. A GN has to be tuned and have traction to get them. If you had an 11 second GN then I'd say don't worry about it, but on pump gas, no alky, street tires, I think he's gonna show you his tail lights.

But race gas or alky, slicks, and a chip, and you could be in the mid 12's and show him what the back of a buick looks like. So I'd say get a few parts on your car, then call him out.

Back