You can type here any text you want

2 loud pops under high boost

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

usetaboost

SAY CAR RAMROD!!
was out enjoying the nice cool air last night since i got a ic shroud on my car again. got on it at 45 mph. When everything opened up i heard 2 loud pops. nothing blew off. I don't think it was knock cause if it was I wouldnt have made it home. The car runs fine and pulls good vacuum. Bad coil pack maybe/ignition problem? Sounded and felt like a weak coil to me:confused: I didn't dare replicate it since I had no scanner hooked up

pop

Did you observe your fuel pressure guage? The last time mine popped like that I realized my fuel pressure didn't increase. I found out that it was my fuel filter before my pump. Essex fuel pump and filter. The pump was able to supply enough pressure at idle and cruise and but as soon as you got on it, pop!

No scanmaster? The cool air can lean the tune. May need to add some wot fuel.

I'm thinking a lean condition also. It must have come on real fast because I didn't hear a ping. I'm wondering if the massive G-force shock of going WOT caused the 1/4 tank of fuel I had in the car to slam back and the pump went dry briefly. I pulled the stick before I drove it today and the oil looked good. Started kind of hard but I think that stems back to my sticking iac that happens once in a blue moon. It ran great all day today. I didn't get on it yet though. Just kind of ran around in it and did errands to see if it was ok. SO far so good. If it doesn't rain tomorrow i'M hooking up the scanner and go through everything and turn the boost down a bit and see if there's anything wrong with the tune. I put 1/2 tank of gas in it. I'll know if the pump starved out tomorrow.

Floored it today getting on the interstate. Forgot my laptop but figured, if its gonna go it just as well go now:rolleyes: Didn't skip a beat. I'm thinking the pump pickup went dry. Although today was 25* warmer than when it happened. When I get it back from the body shop i'm going to check into it a little further. I did check the vitals at idle when I got home and it looked good. BLM was 124 at 173* so no vacuum leaks. I can at least cross that off the list

I had a bad MAF that did not exhibit symptoms all the time. The tap test confirmed it was bad. Ruled out the easiest things first. If the MAF is good, then monitor with a hood-mounted fuel pressure gauge, and watch KR on the Scanmaster, if the pickup went dry you'd see the FP drop and there's your issue(?). At least your head gaskets are still intact... :eek:

Did you observe your fuel pressure guage? The last time mine popped like that I realized my fuel pressure didn't increase. I found out that it was my fuel filter before my pump. Essex fuel pump and filter. The pump was able to supply enough pressure at idle and cruise and but as soon as you got on it, pop!

+2 mine did the same with one of those faulty walbros

Same thing happened to me-belt was slipping on alt.,not enough power getting to fuel pump. Pop,pop!

Back