You can type here any text you want

200-4R down**** and WOT shift question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

79MeanGbody

I have a Mega Monster 200-4r from Monster Motorsports and when I manually downshift at speed it doesn't decelerate the engine like I want it to. It just sort of free wheels. I am running a TCI Street Fighter 2200-2400 stall convertor.

Also it doesn't shift WOT when I would like it to. I want it to shift at 6000rpm and it verys between 4000-5000rpm.

You have a generic VB, and it sounds like it could be an over-run clutch issue.

You will have to do governor mods to make the trans shift at higher rpm, and it may be easiest to buy a GN or Monte SS valve body and governor to start with.

I have a Mega Monster 200-4r from Monster Motorsports and when I manually downshift at speed it doesn't decelerate the engine like I want it to. It just sort of free wheels. I am running a TCI Street Fighter 2200-2400 stall convertor.

Also it doesn't shift WOT when I would like it to. I want it to shift at 6000rpm and it verys between 4000-5000rpm.

What Jake said about the overrun clutch/sprag and getting the correct vb in it. Governor tuning is not a one shot deal. It takes a couple tries to get the shift point where you want it. 1 gram off the primary weight will increase the upshift approx. 200 rpm's. I use a gram scale and carefully grind metal off both sides of the weight on a disassembled governor and reinstall and test. Then drop the pan again and remove more weight and keep repeating till i get what i want.

What are my options for fixing the over-run clutch/sprag issue? Where can I get a GN/SS Valvebody and Governor?

What are my options for fixing the over-run clutch/sprag issue? Where can I get a GN/SS Valvebody and Governor?

Call Chris at CK. He has vb's and governors form TR's and MCSS's that will work and decently priced. To work on the overrun assmebly you will need to pull the trans and pull the pump assembly out. It could be something as simple as a sealing ring problem. Is the fluid burned?

The fluid is not burned. Do you think there is anyway this could be resolved with the transmission in the car? Seems like i've had it out of there 2 or 3 times for misc. things and would rather not take it out again.

If you're talking about manual Lo it could as simple as having a checkball out of place. Don't ask me how I'd know about that.:redface:

I hope it is something that simple but about 3 or 4 different people think it has to do with the over-run clutch. It won't "catch" in any gear manually down shifting.

The fluid is not burned. Do you think there is anyway this could be resolved with the transmission in the car? Seems like i've had it out of there 2 or 3 times for misc. things and would rather not take it out again.

If you pull it you should be able to diagnose the overrun problem a lot easier.

Back