200R4 vs TH400

Hi Folks,

If a transmission builder claims his transmission will stand up to whatever claims that builder makes, then that builder should have the quality control measures in place to guarantee that. Or, failing that, the builder needs to ensure that the parts he gets in his build meet verifiable standards from his suppliers. If not, then parts variability could easily mean the difference between the customer who drives his 600hp GN for years without any problems, versus the next one who drives a car of equal specifications and with the same usage for two weeks, and then destruction.

Best,
MAP

hahahaha... you are an engineer and everything you do is bullet proof and will never break or screw up ??!!! Why does GM have a warranty then ??? Just to make the customer feel good?? You DO believe in the tooth fairy!! :p guess you haven't dealt with the "Real World" :p Automobile Performance shop's will sometimes promise you the world.. So I guess you would believe them :confused: NOW on the other hand you may have someone with a 600+hp car that knows absolutely nothing and will install a nice new hi performance tranny. Hey it's only an hour job .. Well thats what my buddy's brother Vinnie told me :biggrin: Sooooo they get the tranny in and it doesn't work right .. you have them bring the car back to the shop an notice the TV cable isn't hooked up :eek: Hey look at this !! YOU didn't hook this up !!??? Oh thats just the kick down cable and Vinnie said I didn't need that right now :cool: It is really hard to get a good tranny guy... Especially with these POS 200R4's :p Warranty's are not all they are suppose to be. I know some people that can break anything . On the other side you take the wiz bang tranny you just put thousands of $$$ into apart and see nothing but a stocker :eek:
SOOOOO .. finding a good tranny guy can be tough .. Anything can break. I can see guy's getting tired of messing with the 200 and getting no where so they go with a 400 .. hey if that keeps them happy then all the power to them !! ok I am just babbling here now .. Have a good night :cool:

hmmmmm...why did you delete your post ???

ok got brainstorming here :rolleyes: see the smoke coming from my ears :p Did some quick figuring on Melissa car with a 200R4 .. here is the math...

3656#

758rwhp :cool:

dammmm maybe I'd better start think Turbo 400's :eek: :biggrin: ok enuff fun for the night . hope we don't get any more snow tonight :mad:

mine is set with 220lbs line pressure

and a slightly softer shift, ( you;d never know it when your driving)
and I made 620 RWHP.
and its still alive, and well,
yea billet stuff inside, and yea it wasn't cheap,
but yea, its still together!!!!!:D

Hp

Decisions are made at the turning point of your Power level. 4 Years ago I went to a TH400 and it was the end of trouble. Year after I went back to the 2004R and hell broke. 2008 I am going back to the 400. I know I will be sleeping better now.:) If you run 10.50 or faster and wanna Race to have fun..400 all the way.
Listen to Don.................:biggrin:

Joe

and a slightly softer shift, ( you;d never know it when your driving)
and I made 620 RWHP.
and its still alive, and well,
yea billet stuff inside, and yea it wasn't cheap,
but yea, its still together!!!!!:D

things have changed over the past few years .. we are lucky people to have guy's making stronger parts for us :eek: :biggrin: oh .. goin fast "ain't cheap" :p

Grumpy,

The true mark of a person without a solid argument is the one who resorts to personal attacks.

Simple test for you:

1.) Have you ever designed parts for GM as a tier-one supplier?
2.) Has your job ever been on the line if what you design doesn't meet a few ppm rejects or field returns?
3.) Do you have any patents to your name?

Until then, please don't make me laugh with the allegation that I don't live in the real world.

The ones living in a make-believe "tooth fairy" world are those who think they can make claims for durability nowadays without having the warranty or the credibility to back it up. And it seems like much of the car aftermarket performance industry is in this camp.

That's why, as much as it saddens me to say this, 1.) the car aftermarket performance industry is rapidly dwindling, and 2.) why the big three are losing to Toyota and Honda.

Best,
MAP

I just like the idea of having something that you can basicly throw ANYTHING at it and not have to worry . IMO I rather have a trans for the fraction of the cost that is capable 9's when my car goes 11's . :) It was one (TH400) of the BEST/EASY mods that I have ever done to my car , and I have done a few . :)

for those who maybe interested in weight: My full prep 200R4 with a Art Carr Deep Trans Pan came in at 134 lbs . my full prep TH400 with a TCI Alum deep pan 141 lbs . 7lbs difference..... less then a spare tire . :)

All i can say is that i just pulled out my 200r4 out of the 86 limited. It was sitting behind a olds 307 that was factory, and it held up just fine. It would light both tires up.:biggrin: The car does only have 74,000 on it though. I do plan on having it gone through before i put it back in. I dont plan on racing it just playing on the street from time to time. Maybe to Norwalk Race Way 1 or 2 times to play for s&g's

I made the switch and to the 400 and its pretty solid and i litteraly drive every Stop sign or traffic light ( NY has alot )...like a pass .... so whoever said 40 passes:rolleyes: ..... i did about 20 passes a few hours ago and that is on one trip out . My 400 must have a few hundred passes by now . Yeah losing the OD kinda sucks , you can get a built AOD from im sure alot of places , FB performance in NY comes to mind if you want the 400 strength and the OD but it gonna cost you more .

I didn't read any of the above, but I have no regrets going with a th400. I had a 200 with an electric brake and every badass part you can throw at it. My old 200 would have lived well with the times I'm running. I only got rid of it in a trade.
The 400 is actually very fun on the street and is not bad at all doing 70 mph. My engine runs at around 2800 rpm at 70.
The th400 shines at the track. Shifting gears makes it more fun imo. What fun is it leaving it in drive? Having a th400 is one less thing to worry about during the racing season.

Grumpy,

The true mark of a person without a solid argument is the one who resorts to personal attacks.

Simple test for you:

1.) Have you ever designed parts for GM as a tier-one supplier?
2.) Has your job ever been on the line if what you design doesn't meet a few ppm rejects or field returns?
3.) Do you have any patents to your name?

Until then, please don't make me laugh with the allegation that I don't live in the real world.

The ones living in a make-believe "tooth fairy" world are those who think they can make claims for durability nowadays without having the warranty or the credibility to back it up. And it seems like much of the car aftermarket performance industry is in this camp.

That's why, as much as it saddens me to say this, 1.) the car aftermarket performance industry is rapidly dwindling, and 2.) why the big three are losing to Toyota and Honda.

Best,
MAP

Simpler test for you
I am a home builder that does nothing now :p
Can you build a house from start to finish ??? oh I have never really had a "job" answering to a boss...well unless ya count the wife :eek:

#3 you chose your field and I chose mine
Done ... this has nothing to do with the trannys.. You obviously don't make the parts for them :eek:

I will agree "quality" stuff these days are goin down the toilet.. BUT that just might be my old age showing !! Seems like people had more pride in their work years ago :cool:

So meanwhile back in tranny land ... winter has def set in :eek: guess it comes down to ya run what you want for your type of car :eek: :biggrin:

Wtf!!!!!!

Dammit Dan....are you trying to tell me the Tooth Fairy aint real ?!?!?!?:tongue:

What about true love and freedom????:mad: :biggrin:

I'm sorry....where were we? Oh yeah....tranny's. Nobody said anything about TH350s. Less parasitic loss than a 400. Although parasitic loss didn't play a part in my decision to go w/the 350. I've got well over 100 passes on a $500 transmission. $$ made my decision for me.

Overdrive...there were millions of miles ridden on the highways and byways of America before in OD trans was offered. (I like saying that when my buddies say something about my 350;) :biggrin: )

High dollar parts don't make a good transmission. Somebody who knows how to put them all together is what makes it perform. At the end of the day...you're gonna break. We build these cars for the sole purpose of beating the absolute SH!T out of them. A "good" "reliable" low 10 second TB is hard to construct.:)

Speaking of a good beating, going to the track tomorrow. :cool: When DOES it stop snowing there , Dan?

High dollar parts don't make a good transmission. Somebody who knows how to put them all together is what makes it perform. At the end of the day...you're gonna break. We build these cars for the sole purpose of beating the absolute SH!T out of them. A "good" "reliable" low 10 second TB is hard to construct.:)

Speaking of a good beating, going to the track tomorrow. :cool: When DOES it stop snowing there , Dan?

Hit the nail on the head there !!!!
..lots of guys went to 350's up here "back in the day" .. wonder how much power they can take ???? I need overdrive and I am to cheap to go to a "gearvendors OD set up" :p Please don't let the tooth fairy story get ya down ... I was only kidding :p
Snow??? ya got maybe 3"s the other day (we call that a "dusting") BUT more is coming tonight :mad: Working on the Mazda now .. It might actually run soon :eek: :biggrin:

I said 40 passes, I meant at the track. Not on the keyboard. I think slicks and a sticky track is far more harsh than on the street. Like GRUMPY said, We don't think this will last forever, but to have overdrive they hold up well enough to keep it in the car. I may need to go through mine twice as much as the 400, but I still have od. Plus I think it means more that we can make the times we do with a so called weaker trans. Seems like fun to me. Just like making power with a v6 instead of an 8, I like the challenge.

You should bring your car to NY , Harsh would be an understatement for the road conditons . Its amazing the tranny stays in the car ........Ive destroyed plenty of BUILT 2004rs on the street but i see your point of the hook factor at the track .

You should bring your car to NY , Harsh would be an understatement for the road conditons . Its amazing the tranny stays in the car ........Ive destroyed plenty of BUILT 2004rs on the street but i see your point of the hook factor at the track .

typical Northern roads :eek: I think the tranny takes a beating on the street .. on an off the gas ....on the throttle then slamming the brakes .. where the track is full throttle and hang on :biggrin:

There are other options if you want to go th400, like a GV overdrive. Or you could spend $500-800 a year freshening a 200. Do the math!

Or you could spend $500-800 a year freshening a 200. Do the math!

OR maybe ya don't :p ohhh ummm 400's never burn up OR break either :confused: Really depends on the power output to ... sooo like I said.. whatever floats your boat !! It's your dime :cool: