224 Cam?

vader87

Protected Freedom for 27 years! Thank a Veteran!
Anyone running a 224/224 roller cam in a street TB? Is this too much cam for a street/track strocker? A builder just told me it was too much cam and is not very fun to drive. Thanks!

i've always heard its better to "undercam" these 6's than it is to over cam them. probably loose horse power, need a huge stall, a huge turbo to breath that much, and some super heads! good luck with what ever cam you go with,:)

I was running a 224/224 in a 231 cu in motor. Even though it ran fine on the street and the track, I thought it was too much. Don't know why I did it but I did it. I would run max 218/218. I would flow your heads and see what the cfm's are at the lifts and pick your cam from there.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Cool and thanks for the info! I also have a 218/212 roller. Here are my plans:

250 stroker with girdle
Port GN1 Heads
Port intake
95 lbs injectors
Larger fuel lines and rails

Now I am new to this stuff so let me ask a few questions. With the 224 cam, what exactly will hurt the performance? I take it the power is way up in the rpm range, correct? On the street, will I have a hard time with vacume? I guess what I am asking is why go with a smaller cam? Not that I do not want to hear what you guys are saying but I would like to know more about the "mechanics" of cams and air flow. Thanks again!

Cool and thanks for the info! I also have a 218/212 roller. Here are my plans:

250 stroker with girdle
Port GN1 Heads
Port intake
95 lbs injectors
Larger fuel lines and rails

Now I am new to this stuff so let me ask a few questions. With the 224 cam, what exactly will hurt the performance? I take it the power is way up in the rpm range, correct? On the street, will I have a hard time with vacume? I guess what I am asking is why go with a smaller cam? Not that I do not want to hear what you guys are saying but I would like to know more about the "mechanics" of cams and air flow. Thanks again!

I can't explain the mechanics, but I can tell you I run one on the street. I don't see any downsides. Just remember it's all part of the combo.

I think you are asking about the 224 roller that is in the for sale section...

A local guy has one here, and it sounds awesome at idle.

The bottom end is not really that strong on the bigger cam, but with 20 extra cubes it should work well.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I like a little less cam too. I had an old PTE 218/218 cam that I could never get to run the way a wanted it to, or felt it should have.
To much torque lost on the bottom rpm level.
I had a good set of M&A heads, and all the other supporting mods except CID.

Brian

I bought that cam. Just started calling around asking about a stroker rebuild and I was told it was too big. I really think it is all in the heads and fuel delivery. I plan on building a monster 109 stroker. I want to build it to just build it. If I race it, I race it. If I don't,... I don't. Not planning on competing in any class or anything like that. I just want to be able to drive it around town and have the potential to beat just about anything on the street. I will keep everyone updated on the build as it progresses. This will take over a year as Uncle Sam sees that I need to go to Iraq again for 15 months!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I plan on using an old Kenny D/ comp cams 218-228 roller in my 109 stroker. My stuff is at RPE right now, Bobby told me this cam should work real well in my street car. I wish you the best & a safe return from Iraq!

vader87
I have a 224 roller in my car and like on the street and track. It does have a lopey idle and the bottom end torque is reduced slightly. My understanding of the reduced bottom end torque is due to the overlap. As you go to a larger duration the overlap is increased, meaning that both the intake and exhaust valve are both open simultaneously longer and this reduces the cylinder pressure.
I think that the extra cubic inches that you have will work well with the 224.
Randy

street racing

i thought they was not much racing going on around gadsden anymore. they was years ago. maybe i need to come down more often. let me know if get home again. craig

I am running a 218/212 Roller in my 109 and I think it`s PERFECT. It think it would be even better in your 250 C.I.

Not much on the street:redface: , I usually head down to Steele for test and tune. I give you a call!

Makes an awesome paperweight:redface: ! Kinda a long story but the GN did not make it over here to Germany. The shipper kept dicking around and by the time it would have got here I would have had to send it back. I figured I could use the $3000 for shipping to help build my stroker. So the turbo is here on my desk looking all pretty, just waiting to hit about 25lbs of boost!!!

Garrett Exhaust Housings

And don`t get rid of that Garrett .82 Housing. That makes the Turbo a Weapon. The PTE 85`s are not really 85`s to Garrett Specs. More like a 92, and that may kill your Spool Up.:D

Only thing I am doing to it is polishing it and getting the exhaust housing coated. I can't wait!