250" gn1 alum head, 6466, cam selection

troyk

Looking for cam selection for a street car.

My build sheet so far:
250" motor
girdle
billet mains
GN1 alum heads, mild porting of the runners
ATR headers & exhaust
BGC intake
Alky kit
Mega Squirt
6466 turbo
Roller cam, thinking 214/214

Do I do billet or other cam material?
What make & size & ratio combo?
Should I change my BGC intake to some other brand?
My goal is to have a car that can build 5-8psi in 4th in lockup @ 50MPH. Also, quick spool at track.

Sorry. I only have found forum articles dated in 2007, so thinking cam selection has changed some since then, because of the newer turbos.

That's what my new build is. Except mine is stock stroke. And I am using the 214/214 fast ramp from full throttle..

Personally, I wouldn't put anymore cam than that in the car. 212-212 or 206-206 works too... could be a torque monster and spool fast already with the cubic inches.

Give Bison a shout, he can give you the best advice on a grind to compliment your selected turbo.

That 214/214 fast ramp will be a great cam in that combo. Gonna need a limited travel lifter like the 885 and plenty of spring pressure

I like the castings myself. The castings have the stock oiling provision for the cam gear. Billet cams do not.

Please don't kill me, but what is a fast ramp cam? I had a 218/212 in the old motor...

Comp "extreme energy" lobe grinds. More aggressive than the older stuff.

Fast ramp with less overlap will make more power. Anything that closes the ex valve between 4 and 6 btdc @.050" will work. A solid lifter will work even better. Fast ramp won't make or break it. The 6466 hits backpressure before the wheels are out of air because the compressor cover is too small. If you're looking to run the turbo close to all in it won't matter at all in the cam as long as it's not ridiculous in overlap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Please don't kill me, but what is a fast ramp cam? I had a 218/212 in the old motor...
Fast ramp means it opens and closes the valve faster. Less degrees of crankshaft rotation between events. The cam in your new engine is definitely a fast ramp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk