You can type here any text you want

275/60 or 275/50 tires?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
a factor for me is the rear suspension

i don't use air bags because of gnx suspension ,it lifts the car under load planting the rear axle- so...

275 60 may be worse for me or not?

I would think the 275/60 would be worse, as it would increase your tire diameter from 26" to 28" (ie: taller tire).

I don't think it would be narrower... You'd still be running a 275 tirewidth. Remember, 275=width / 50=sidewall height(% of width)....

---Ron

so would a 275 60-15 be worse or better?

THANKS IN ADVANCE[/QUOTE]

The 275/60 will be better for width but the height might get you. The 275/50 in MT is over .75 wider. I prefer the 28" like stated above. IMO it hooks way better on a track well prepped or not. HTH

The 275/60 will be better for width but the height might get you. The 275/50 in MT is over .75 wider. I prefer the 28" like stated above. IMO it hooks way better on a track well prepped or not. HTH

The width would remain at 275mm (10.83 in). Unless the different tire mfgr's deviate from the standard formula, the only difference would be from the sidewall bowing outward more because there's more of it. So you'd end up rubbing more.

I posted a good link to a tire size calculator a few posts above. It's great for comparing different tire sizes. It'll tell you the width, sidewall height, overall height, and circumfrence of whatever tire size you enter. It also calculates gear ratio change, RPM, and Speedo error.

Here's the scoop on the two sizes:

tires1.jpg

tires2.jpg

I hear ya :D but I have MT 275/50 on one car and 275/60 on the other. The 275/50 tread width is 10.00" the 275/60 is 9.20". The section width's are close 11.30" versus 11.10".

I hear ya :D but I have MT 275/50 on one car and 275/60 on the other. The 275/50 tread width is 10.00" the 275/60 is 9.20". The section width's are close 11.30" versus 11.10".

Geez... they sure make it hard to buy tires these days, don't they? the MT is 10" while the BFG is probably 9" and the Nitto is probably 9.5", etc...etc... (those aren't facts, just exaggerations)... but still.. UGH! Guess the Tire Companies just like to mess with our heads....

---Ron

Geez... they sure make it hard to buy tires these days, don't they? the MT is 10" while the BFG is probably 9" and the Nitto is probably 9.5", etc...etc... (those aren't facts, just exaggerations)... but still.. UGH! Guess the Tire Companies just like to mess with our heads....

---Ron

I know right :D. Just about every DR manufacture has different specs for the same size tire. You add in the different wheel combinations, rear ends, car heights and you run into "it works on my car".

tires3.jpg

Straight from MT's website. >sigh< What's the point on giving tire sizes when, in reality, there's like .5" to 1" in deviation!?!?!?! It looks like when picking tires, it's forever going to be trial and error. Why can't the tire size just be the freaking tire size!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Okay.. I'm done ranting.... Still annoyed, but done...........for now...

---Ron

a factor for me is the rear suspension

i don't use air bags because of gnx suspension ,it lifts the car under load planting the rear axle- so...

275 60 may be worse for me or not?

Sorry to take your thread off in a different direction.

I used to rub on both the inside and fender.. I had my fenders rolled (the lip on the inside of the fender gets bent up and out of the way. give you a good .5" or so.

Then for the frame rubbing... you can either box your frame, where they cut out some of your frame to give you more clearance. I didn't need to do that. I bought a set of Moser axles and they pushed the wheel out just enough to give me some clearance near the frame....

---Ron

Sorry to take your thread off in a different direction.

I used to rub on both the inside and fender.. I had my fenders rolled (the lip on the inside of the fender gets bent up and out of the way. give you a good .5" or so.

Then for the frame rubbing... you can either box your frame, where they cut out some of your frame to give you more clearance. I didn't need to do that. I bought a set of Moser axles and they pushed the wheel out just enough to give me some clearance near the frame....

---Ron

well im going gnx fender flares so rolling is out as well as notching the frame

i guess it appears 275 60 is a roll of the dice for me

Ended up going with the 275/60/15 Hooiser drag radials since the m/t's are still on backorder. Going to see how they fit this weekend, its going to be a tight fit.

anyone that runs the 275 60 and doesn't have the lip cut or the frame notched?

what backspacing did you use to do that?or am i just wishing here

anyone that runs the 275 60 and doesn't have the lip cut or the frame notched?

what backspacing did you use to do that?or am i just wishing here

I have 275/60's but I have to use 1/4" spacers due to the rim having a 4" B/S. No other mods. Your best bet will be either 3" or 3.5" BS IMO, unless someone here has a better option. :cool:

my rims bs are 4.5- gn 10 inch wide
do you think ill be alright?

i rub 275 50s more on the lip then the frame now

I have some 10" wide rear wheels with a rear spacing of 4.25" without any rubbing issues. My wheels are 16" dia, but whether the wheel is a 15" or 16" dia, the rear spacing remains the same...Choosing a wheel with a rear spacing of 4.50" or more is likely to give you rubbing on the frame problems...

Claude :smile:

I have some 10" wide rear wheels with a rear spacing of 4.25" without any rubbing issues. My wheels are 16" dia, but whether the wheel is a 15" or 16" dia, the rear spacing remains the same...Choosing a wheel with a rear spacing of 4.50" or more is likely to give you rubbing on the frame problems...

Claude :smile:

So I guess a wheel spacer will do the trick? or am I wrong?...

"gpadilla1071", yes a wheel spacer might do the trick, but the main idea for getting the right rear spacing is to be able to use a given wheel WITHOUT having to use any spacers...Why use a wheel with too much rear spacing, and then have to add spacers to correct a tire rubbing against the frame situation...My point is that you might as well choose the a wheel with the correct spacing in the first place, UNLESS you have a good deal on some used wheels, or that the wheels you want are not made with the correct rear spacing!...That's why I was suggesting no more than 4.25" for a 10" wide wheel.
Hope this helps...

Claude. :smile:

Back