You can type here any text you want

275/60 vs 50 vs 255/60

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

grocerygetter

I know 28 vs 26 vs 27. ...my question is on a 8"rim, do you think I should go to the 255/60 if the 275/60 won't clear? Or go ahead and drop to the 275/50? I figure the 27" vs 26" would be a nice gain. I just need a good footprint at the track. I was wondering if a 255 on a 8" vs a 275 on a 8" at about 11-15 psi would be the same foot print due to the rolling (side to side) of the 275.

Hey guy my experience with my cars has been that the 60's always gave me a better 60ft than the 50's. The 50's do seem to ride better on the street and add a little to the fun factor (light them up at 40MPH). A lot has to do also with how your TC works with your combo. After many years with these cars I have found a TC can be your friend or foe. No one size fits all here. Really work on the combo and the tune and it is unreal what you can do. Look forward to more track time next year. Good luck with you car and I am happy to give you my thoughts. James

The 50's do seem to ride better on the street ...

Hmmmm...I'm surprised to read this 'cause I always thought that the more sidewall height you have (60's vs. 50's), the better the ride...:confused:
As for fitting on an 8" wide rim, there shouldn't be any problem with any of these two sizes, providing you have the correct rear spacing (3.5")...

Claude. :wink:

I'm running the Mickey Thompson 255/60-15's and they work great. They are 27 inches tall, which I like a lot. They fit on 8's really well and don't have a lot of sidewall 'buldge' if you know what I mean. I was running 275/60's, which my girlfriend referred to as 'balloon' tires, since they were so tall. Good luck!

I just mounted up a 275/60 on my 15x8 convo pros. It fits and would drive. Nothing is modded but boy is it close to the frame. Like 1/4" in couple of spots front and back. There is enough sidewall deflection to rub inside. If I put the 1/8th" spacer on I think it would be ok....but this car is a little low for this tire. I think the 1/8th in spacer will make the sidewall tag the fender lip under a hard squat. Pressure in the bag would help but hurt weight transfer.

Anyway...I'm going with something different. It's shame too because these were barely used and would've been CHEAP.

nopes...they worked...the 1/8th" spacer solved it. Drives fine. I have like 5psi in the bags right now. I'm going to trim the fenders just up to the screw heads to make darn sure on a hard launch it doesn't clip the sidewall but it appears it won't be an issue even without the trim.

oh...and 165s on the front 4" rims without a front sway bar = a bit of a handful. Gotta be careful tooling around in town.

I'm running the Mickey Thompson 255/60-15's and they work great. They are 27 inches tall, which I like a lot. They fit on 8's really well and don't have a lot of sidewall 'buldge' if you know what I mean. I was running 275/60's, which my girlfriend referred to as 'balloon' tires, since they were so tall. Good luck!
MT 275/60-15 are 27.3" tall. Get out a measuring device and see for yourself. For anyone wondering the height of a particular tire the only way to know for sure is to measure when installed on the car. They rarely add up to the sidewall designation.

i put some 275/60/15's on my 8in wide drag lite rims

they hit the frame a little

i swapped out my steel rear drums for aluminum drums and now they fit fine!!!

since then i have ran my best so far...1.604 60ft...that is only 0.004 away from the fabled 1.5's 60's...and those are on nittos:eek:

-dan

Back