You can type here any text you want

28.5 x 10.5 Slicks BS

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

J-B Racing

Forced Induction
To those running this size Slick without Notching. What BS are you using on your Car? I am looking at buying a set of 15x10 wheels with a 3.5 BS.

Thanks in advance
Joe

3.5 isn't enough BS it'll probably be into the quarter.

The easiest answer that's proven time and time again is 8" Wheel 4" BS

If you REALLY want a 10" then maybe someone that has put one on a car with a stock frame rail will chime in, but my guess would be close to 4.5".

What brand wheels are you looking at?

If you REALLY want a 10" then maybe someone that has put one on a car with a stock frame rail will chime in, but my guess would be close to 4.5".

Well, with a 8`` Wheel and a 4`` BS I have to use a 1/2`` Spacer to clear.
I have a set of AUto Drag Centerlines that are 15x10 with 4 7/8`` BS and I can start from there!!

Well, with a 8`` Wheel and a 4`` BS I have to use a 1/2`` Spacer to clear.
I have a set of AUto Drag Centerlines that are 15x10 with 4 7/8`` BS and I can start from there!!

Shoot yeah if you own em you might as well try em.

I used to run a 15x8 3.5" BS, have to roll the lip or use air bags in both rear coils

Sent from my DROID2

Hi Joe...

Ya, my lips are rolled otherwise it would not clear.

Joe, that's the slick size I'm using on my car (Phoenix F/X 10.5" x 28.5"). They're mounted on the same wheels I've been using since I began racing my GN a long time ago which are 15"x8" with a rear spacing of 3.5", with rolled fender lips, but NO frame modification at all. Three things I had to do this year was 1° to change the 23 year old, sagged rear coil springs, 2° to change the lower control arms I had (H&R with poly bushings) for some Wolfe Racecraft adjustables with rod ends and 3° I installed some aluminium spacers under the coil springs to raise the rear of the car because when launching the car hard, the tires rubbed against the wheel openings damaging both the tires and mouldings which I had to replace about a month ago. I still have some H&R adjustable uppers...
You'd probably have to go to a rear spacing close to 4.5" for a 10" wide rim, but I'm not 100% sure...:confused: I have 10" wide wheels for the street which fit without rubbing, but street tires do not have a sidewall bulge as big as the slicks have...:rolleyes:
Hope this helps!

Claude. :wink:

Joe, that's the slick size I'm using on my car (Phoenix F/X 10.5" x 28.5"). They're mounted on the same wheels I've been using since I began racing my GN a long time ago which are 15"x8" with a rear spacing of 3.5", with rolled fender lips, but NO frame modification at all. Three things I had to do this year was 1° to change the 23 year old, sagged rear coil springs, 2° to change the lower control arms I had (H&R with poly bushings) for some Wolfe Racecraft adjustables with rod ends and 3° I installed some aluminium spacers under the coil springs to raise the rear of the car because when launching the car hard, the tires rubbed against the wheel openings damaging both the tires and mouldings which I had to replace about a month ago. I still have some H&R adjustable uppers...
You'd probably have to go to a rear spacing close to 4.5" for a 10" wide rim, but I'm not 100% sure...:confused: I have 10" wide wheels for the street which fit without rubbing, but street tires do not have a sidewall bulge as big as the slicks have...:rolleyes:
Hope this helps!

Claude. :wink:

Claude
I am afraid that with the 4.5 the Tires will rub inside. This is why I was thinking of 3.5 to make up that 1/2 Spacer I had to use with the 15 x 8's.
I will have to do a test with the Other 15 x 10's I have that are 4 7/8 BS and take it from there. The 8's are too small for the M&H Slicks.

Thanks for the help..:smile:

tires

I had 15x8 with a 3.5 bs and it rubbed outside stock lip with a 28.11.50 et street.A 15x8 with a 4.5 bs will hit the frame rail with the same tire.I would go with a 15x8 with a 4 bs with the same tire.But every car is different.

I had 15x8 with a 3.5 bs and it rubbed outside stock lip with a 28.11.50 et street.A 15x8 with a 4.5 bs will hit the frame rail with the same tire.I would go with a 15x8 with a 4 bs with the same tire.But every car is different.
That is what my 15 x 8 are 4" BS and I have to use a 1/2" Spacer to clear the inside. With that I have no poblem except for the Wheel being too small. I have to go with a 10" Wheel.
This is how it looks with a Spacer, so I think going with a 3.5" BS on a 10" Wheel I will eliminate the Spacer.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• DSC00016.jpg
    DSC00016.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 356
That is what my 15 x 8 are 4" BS and I have to use a 1/2" Spacer to clear the inside. With that I have no poblem except for the Wheel being too small. I have to go with a 10" Wheel.
This is how it looks with a Spacer, so I think going with a 3.5" BS on a 10" Wheel I will eliminate the Spacer.:rolleyes:

Joe, for a 8" wide wheel, I found that the best rear spacing is 3.5" (with rolled fender lips) and you don't have to use any spacer on the inside, using some 10.5" x 28.5" slicks. BUT...if you decide to go with a 10" wheel, then you got to kinda "split" the two extra inches evenly between the inside and outside of the wheel...meaning that you'd have to have something close to 4.25" - 4.5" rear spacing. I dunno if I made myself clear...:confused: I'm saying this because I'm afraid that 3.5" of r.s on a 10" wheel won't be enough and you could end up with the slick rubbing against the wheel opening, even with some rolled fender lips!...Also, it's always best NOT to have any spacer, especially on high powered cars.
And last, why are you saying that you must absolutely have to have a 10" rim?...but hey, if that's what you want, then ok go for it! :wink:
Keep in touch...

See 'ya!

Claude. :smile:

What wheels are those. I have come to the conclusion that different wheel manufacturers figure their BS differently.

As far as the BSing on a 10" goes toofastforyou is on to something, I'm just going to try to go a bit farther on the explanation.

If you want the tire in the same spot what you need is to figure the offset. For instance on a 8" wheel 4" BS is center. On a 10" wheel 5" is center. So on those 2 wheels the center of the tire is in the same spot, but the tire will be wider on the 10" making it closer to the quarter and the frame.

You have 8" with 3.5" (once you include your spacer) so to be in the same spot with a 10 you need to subtract a half inch from neutral BS so that's 4.5".

I'm just worried that if you change wheel brands and do your figuring off of what you have now that it will end up not where you want it.

i have a 15x10 with 4.5 bs no spacer and stock frame rail
128-1.jpg

4.5 is correct on a 10" wheel with no frame notch. If you do 3.5 on a ten you can picture what it looks like now with the 8's then add 2 inches to the outside. The tires will be UNDER the wheel lips, so you better plan on some air shocks:D

The M&H are very wide. Yheta the actual size. I have a set of Hoosiers 28x10 and they are actually 27x9 3/4 and look go kart tires next to my M&H.
One I try them on my Aut Drag's I will be able to determine what to do next.

Joe

We are not guessing or speculating here. If you want to run a 10" wheel with no frame notch you need 4.5" of backspace. You will be better off notching the frame & using 5-5.5 bs, the tires will tuck in better. 3.5" bs on a 10" wheel will look stupid, sticking out an inch past the fender, and rub if the car gets too low.

We are not guessing or speculating here. If you want to run a 10" wheel with no frame notch you need 4.5" of backspace. You will be better off notching the frame & using 5-5.5 bs, the tires will tuck in better. 3.5" bs on a 10" wheel will look stupid, sticking out an inch past the fender, and rub if the car gets too low.

I agree on wheel sticking out like a Dune Buggy..I still don`t see how Notching a frame without making Bigger wheel Wells.

I agree on wheel sticking out like a Dune Buggy..I still don`t see how Notching a frame without making Bigger wheel Wells.

Because the frame is what sticks out the wheel well the most...My frame is notched and my 28 10.5S Mickeys are on 8" wheels with 4.5" BS...Fits great, but on a non frame notch car there would be no way without spacers. And it fits without rolling the quarter panel.

With the frame notch the frame rail is approx. even with the sheet metal on the inside.

Back