280 LPH Supra fuel pump installed

I am getting ready to do this at the advice from JDSfastGN a few weeks back.
Where did you get the SS clamps from?

Nice write-up and thanks for sharing. :cool:

The clamps are nothing special just auto part store variety.

Jay or Turbofabricator could probably come up with a double pumper if it was necessary, personally though the Bosch 044 is an even badder pump and about the same price.

A hangar just for a single 044 would be great, since I'm not a fab guy or have the proper tools, we all know that there is a lot of guys on this site that can do this, right Ken!!, I would be in to buy one, and I also have a spare hangar
that could be used for test purposes if needed.

Ron

Id be willing to have my fab guy make whatever.. double pumper, fab up the Bosch pump....

All I need is someone to send me A) The pump B) A stock hanger and C) Be willing to pay to have it done :)

I dont think it would be very expensive and we could for sure mount up a double pumper.. getting it back into the tank tho, would not be our responsibility :)

If anyone wants to do it, PM me.

I'm working on a Supra double pumper I will try using the N/A hanger since it is less expensive and it will be heavily modified.
Stay tuned. I'm optimistic!

87gta, the part # you have listed seems to be for the complete module, the pump # that I got for 93-98 Turbo Supra is 951-0014 is the pump and #
952-0029 for the strainer, the pump price given to me is 203.00 and about
12.00 for the strainer, correct me if I''m wrong!!

Ron

With the opening in the top of the tank so small, Why not just mount a Bosch pump externally? I can (or any skilled fabricator) can remove the whimpy 3/8" outlet, to a 5/8" or even a 3/4" tube to feed the external pump. I have done this on carb'd race applications for years, (big block cars with big external pumps). If the inlet is angled correctly at the bottom of the tank, it should never become uncovered. You would never have to drop the tank to replace a bad pump, either. I recently did this on a TTA. I HATE the TTA tank/pump system!!!! You have to drop the suspension to get the tank out. It's a real PAIN. The TTA now has dual Bosch external pumps.
Mount the pump(s) below the fuel level and they will always stay primed. I have the time currently to prototype one if anyone is interested. (on Strike right now) Between Jay's guy, and myself we should be able to get something pretty cool and affordable. PM me if you need help with it. If I get one built for someone, and it works satisfactory, a vendor can copy it and sell it. I don't do this for a living. I, too, just need a pump, and hanger to get it made. I think that a standard sending unit for a carb'd G-Body would work, if you want to go external and large pick-up. That way you get a new sending unit. If you have a digital dash, I would need the factory sending unit. Here is a dual outlet/dual pump sending unit I made a year ago for dual Walbro's. It is a prototype that I still have. : http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/215155-new-double-pumper-sending-unit.html

87gta, the part # you have listed seems to be for the complete module, the pump # that I got for 93-98 Turbo Supra is 951-0014 is the pump and #
952-0029 for the strainer, the pump price given to me is 203.00 and about
12.00 for the strainer, correct me if I''m wrong!!

Ron

The number given is the pump "KIT" it had the strainer, hose, oring, and clamps with instructions. I looked mine up from the Denso site itself.

Ive had not so good luck with externals using a pickup from the top. Even with the pickup in the very bottom, Ive still run into situation where Ive lost prime on the pump.. usually when parked on a hill.

Youd have a heck of a time mounting a pump below the tank level unless you mounted it like on the spare tire well or something (Done that too and it works).

Ken, so what is needed for you to do this so one could run an external pump, could you post the possible hard parts that are needed to accomplish this.
thanks

Ron

So Jay, you beleive it is best to retain the pump in the tank?, so as not create a possible problem as a hill or so and that way you could also keep it out of sight too.
thanks.

Ron

So Jay, you beleive it is best to retain the pump in the tank?, so as not create a possible problem as a hill or so and that way you could also keep it out of sight too.
thanks.

Ron

I personally do.

We're kind of reliving the past here. It used to be "the" thing to do remove the intank pump and use an external. It's always worked pretty well but Ive had occasions when parked on an incline where the pump would not pick up. Nothing like getting 4 people to sit on the bumper of your TR so you can drop the rear enough to get the pump to pick up.

If you could come up with a strategic mounting point for the pump, you might be okay.. I dont know.. it makes me nervous doing that when the fuel level gets low.

Was that one pump, or two you put in? I was thinking two. Are they $200 each, or you only need one?

I did one, one with alky is more than sufficent for a mid 11's car IMO.
Two pump setup is in development just waiting for parts. ;)

Thx, im always looking for new ideas. I will see if this 4.1 needs a better pump, i got a feeling it may need more fuel. How much LPH do the Walbro flow?

Thx, im always looking for new ideas. I will see if this 4.1 needs a better pump, i got a feeling it may need more fuel. How much LPH do the Walbro flow?

The Walbro 340 flows 255 lph on a good day with proper voltage.