You can type here any text you want

3.5" Single Shot...LOUD! Help!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hot Air

E85 and S.E./Carolinas Moderator
Staff member
Guys and gals,
I have a 3.5" SS single shot exhaust with a 3.5" Magnaflow Ultraflow welded race muffler and it is LOUD! Looks like I have room for a 14" lg muffler/resonator where the tailpipe exits just behind the rear wheel. Anyone recomment a 3.5" short muffler or a resonator to tone the noise down to where I don't have anymore permanent hearing loss?
Conrad

Guys and gals,
I have a 3.5" SS single shot exhaust with a 3.5" Magnaflow Ultraflow welded race muffler and it is LOUD! Looks like I have room for a 14" lg muffler/resonator where the tailpipe exits just behind the rear wheel. Anyone recomment a 3.5" short muffler or a resonator to tone the noise down to where I don't have anymore permanent hearing loss?
Conrad

Conrad, look up Turbo Bob.
He has a set up with 3 pieces.

I have a 3" single exhaust with a hooker aero chamber muffler and a moroso spiral flow muffler where the stock cat used to be and it's pretty quiet at idle and has a nice mellow tone to it while driving down the road. Definitely not loud and no spoolup / flow issues that i can tell anyway. Been running this setup for about 5 years.

I do run a cat as my state (NC) does require it pass a visual during annual inspection. But, I must confess I had not considered installing a muffler in it's place. Thanks for "thinking outside the box".

Anyone else got any ideas or recommendations?

Conrad

I have a Terry Houston 3.5" system. I used to run it with no muffler, and it droned less than the ATR 3" single it replaced. When I installed the stroker motor, no muffler was not an option. I used the TH muffler. It has some drone. I have a Magnaflow to put in place of it, but haven't yet. I have noticed when I leave the plug out of my wideband O2 bung located right at the end of the downpipe, it has way less drone. I thought I was imagining it until I installed the sensor to do some tuning and noticed at 35 to 45 is was loud.

That is a thought. It couldn't be much louder if there was no muffler. I may try it w/o the cat. The muffler is welded in so removing it will not be easy.
Conrad

Conrad,

An old trick I tried years ago....had a Flowmaster single shot on my truck and it droned bad....so bad I actually didn't like driving the truck because of it. Friend of mine one day gave me an old glass pack he had that came off of something....just for the heck of it I put the glass pack on the end of the tail pipe....drone was gone! The truck had a V6 in it so it still sounded like a V6 but w/o the hollow sound of what the Flowmaster made it sound as.

My car has a 3 inch straight shot with an Ultraflow muffler and it drones about the same as (maybe a little worse than) the truck did. I'm going to try a glasspack muffler from Jones exhaust from Summit racing and see if that doesn't help cancel the drone. I'm thinking it should. It's the smallest one I could find w/o being too expensive. I've heard so-so about placing muffs where the cat used to go. So I'll probably weld mine inline between the tail pipe exit and before the axle clearance bend, so you know there's not much room to work in there.

I'll be ordering up the muffler shortly to test out...will keep you posted.

Back