You can type here any text you want

3.73:1 swap? Is it worth it?

• Thread starter Thread starter coach
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
C

coach

Hey guys,
I am having a 249 stroker built this winter or next spring. I am putting this in a street car with a Vince Janis Stage 2 Billet 200. I swapped out axles this past winter, but am planning on doing the gears and posi to hold about 650 rwhp. My question is this. I would like to go up to 3.73 since it is a street car. Is it worth it? What are the pros and cons?

:biggrin:

Hey guys,
I am having a 249 stroker built this winter or next spring. I am putting this in a street car with a Vince Janis Stage 2 Billet 200. I swapped out axles this past winter, but am planning on doing the gears and posi to hold about 650 rwhp. My question is this. I would like to go up to 3.73 since it is a street car. Is it worth it? What are the pros and cons?

:biggrin:

"coach", I did try some 3.73's and also some 4.10's in my GN and it didn't help at all. The car's "et" got slower, (and fuel economy probably worsened, but haven't verified this) so I went back to the stock 3.42 gears and the car began running good again. But by the same reasoning, I wonder if going the opposite direction (3.23's) would help? Even though I read a few posts about guys asking this same question, I've never heard about anyone who's actually done it in "real life" and who could give us some feedback...:redface:

Claude. :wink:

Leave it alone. You can go down because you're going stroked but going up will make it better for 1/8th mile. You loose top end but you'll spool up and take off faster with 3.73 gears.

Only reason I would go numerically down in ratio would be if your trying to squeeze all you could out of a stock cam car.

I wouldn't go up unless you are doing a tubbed car with 33" tires or something crazy.

Well, I can give you an inside help on this matter. My car ran very well with the 3.23 and now I am trying a set of 3.73, and then I will go back again to the 3.23 and see what is better. But that won't happen until next Month. I can post back again with the results..

Joe

Your going to think Im crazy but I run 3.08's. I had them in my v6 car with a 9in slick leaving on the tbrake here are the track times
1.40 60ft
6.60@102 1/8 mile
10.76@128 1/4 mile

these are the numbers with the v8 275/60 drag radial and footbrake
1.50 60ft
6.4x@112
10.03@139

Running these also keeps you from turning so many rpm's in the 1/4 if you dont like shifting to OD.

Back