3" Single exhaust - Sound? Experience?

l3lue

I am going to picking up a 3'' single exhaust for my car, i've read that some people do not line the sound or that it's too loud, Does anyone have a video or sound clip or can offer some insight on it? I like the Idea of the 3'' and being a simple single pipe. Does it sound good at idle? How about when you get on it?

It's a personal preference thing.

I ran the single shot 3" for years, it was too loud for me, car sounded health - just too loud in all RPM bands. I prefer the 2 1/2" duals with stainless walker ultra flows, loud isn't fast, it's just loud.

I run 3 inch th downpipe, 3 inch straight over axle,no cat,no muffler. It is loud in lower gears, cruising down highway in od barely hear it. I get tons complaints about the noise but who cares, surely not me.

I run a full 3" system with muffler and no cat on my GN and my Typhoon. I think it's perfect. A good muffler and a turbo do a lot to take the sound level down. I think you will be pleased with it.

You can make a single 3" be as quiet as you want. You can always install a second muffler in-line or add a resonator (small round muffler) near the tail pipe.

3" ATR single shot with the original pit bull muffler (3" DP and ATR headers too). Wouldn't change it for a thing. Pretty Quiet up above 65mph. Very healthy sounding

I have an ATR 3" with a Magnaflow muffler. 55 with the TCC locked and its got a pretty nasty drone, I have to crack a window just to break up the noise. Sounds good at idle, cruising through town, etc.

I definitely noticed a huge difference in performance when I removed the transverse Flowmaster muffler kit off the car and installed this one. I can live with the noise to have the performance I do!

I think ill be ok with the noise , at one point i did own a mustang with long tube headers no cats and some magnaflows an turndowns that car was pretty loud but didnt bother me, dont know how this will be compared to that

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk

There is a difference between loud and drone. My silver has a 4" pipe and a bullet muffler, dumps at the axle, it is loud and i dont mind. The Cutlass has an atr single 3", it is quieter, but the drone makes me want to eat a bullet. It droens out all other sounds and give me a headach that makes my eyes hurt. That car is getting a 2.5" dual set up.

had custom 3 in exh and it snded great no drone. muffler location plays a role as do muffler choice

I had a single 3" exhaust on a 10 second GN a few years ago and I liked it. When I first installed it I had a single Dynomax Ultraflo muffler and it sounded good but had a lot of drone at cruising speeds. I then installed a Dynomax race bullet in the cat location in addition to the Ultaflo and it sounded great and no drone. I am going to construct a similar system for my current GN soon to replace the dual 3" exhaust it has now.

now I know my setup is not a single, but I really do appreciate the 3" RJC stock location setup. No drone, 1100 rpm pull away sounds really good.....on the gas with boost sounds really bad ass. Quiet at highway.