You can type here any text you want

301t wont rev past 4k

• Thread starter Thread starter brett
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
B

brett

my 80 ta pace car wont rev up past 3800 its not fuel pump,quadrajet is perfect new old stock chip in the dist ???
hopping for some insight before i take of cover and check cam and lifters help a canuck

Could be bad valve springs, leaking valve seats, blow by, etc... IMHO, I would start with the basics of a compression test, leakdown test, check valve springs, timing chain, turbo for shaft play. I realize you said the car carb is good, but how sure are you?

totaly sure on the carb leaning toward valve springs that i dont really understand and the timing chaine although timing sets up perfect

Actually I wouldnt suspect the timing chain, since if it is stretched your cam will be retarded and that will give you more TOP END and kill the bottom end. I would almost guarantee that the valve springs are bad (they are only 20+ years old)

Another thing to check would be your timing with a dial back timing light. Since you have an '80 the distributor shlouldnt be computer controlled. Make sure your mechanical advance is working correctly and your not just running base timing all the time.

Also you posted first that it would only rev to 4000, now its 3800? Is it dropping each time you run it?

the factory tack said about 4 so i hooked up a precision one i borrowed and the best i got was 3800 although aftwer a tweenty mile highway drive at about 85 or 140 km up here it did climb 1500 higher???

Back