You can type here any text you want

36mm bar install help

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

HotAirGN

I just pulled a 36mm bar from a 90 WS6 in the junkyard. When taking out my stock bar I notice that my stock brackets are different from the F-body brackets
My questions are:
Can I use the stock brackets and just put in the 36mm bushing?
Can I use my stock sway bar end links or do I have to get another kind? (Just bought brand new)
If I have to get another bushing to fit the stock brackets what is a part number I can use?

Use your stock brackets with the F body bushings. The stock end links should be fine too. As far as I know, that's what everyone runs with them including myself.

Stock brackets, 36mm bushing, and I used a stock replacement end link kit because the originals siezed/snapped during removal.

DSC02191.jpg

I used the f body brackets and have learned from experience to use the shortest end link for better handling. Look for a poly set with a 1" spacer and the car will respond better. P.S. I'm an ASE Master that is specialized in suspension and steering issues.

I used the f body brackets and have learned from experience to use the shortest end link for better handling. Look for a poly set with a 1" spacer and the car will respond better. P.S. I'm an ASE Master that is specialized in suspension and steering issues.

doesn't the length of the link depend on how far the car is lowered? as in, you'd need a shorter end link on a lowered car to keep the bar parallel to the ground?

The less matereal there is to deflect the better the bar responds. Being parallel to the ground doesn'r really effect anything.

which of the 2 endlinks is shorter then? I didn't get the f-body endlinks when my bar was shipped to me, so I've got nothing to go by.

I thought the end links were the same between a G-Body and a 3rd gen Camarobird? The only difference is that the higher suspension levels on the 3rd Gen used Poly bushings instead iof rubber.:smile:

I used to run adjustable links on my GN for Solo2 and AutoX. You'd have to have some way of determining spring rates to know why and how much of a difference the length in the links make. In other words seat of the pants you can't tell the difference. Just leave them the stock length IMO.

...from experience to use the shortest end link for better handling. Look for a poly set with a 1" spacer and the car will respond better. P.S. I'm an ASE Master that is specialized...

Me thinks any handling benefits here would be from the poly bushings--NOT the shorter link length...

Improvements from shorter length would be primarily in theory--but difficult to ascertain in reality...

I prefer to not use polly but instead high durameter rubber. Endlinks are the same between the camaros and regals. My car is LOW and I used Moog replacement endlinks for Regals. Make sure you dont tighten the crap out the out bar brackets.

...Make sure you dont tighten the crap out the out bar brackets.

They should however, be fully-tightened. Just tighten in several stages so the new, larger bushings have a chance to "cold-flow" in the G-body brackets being reused...:cool:

Back