You can type here any text you want

4.1 block #

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SIXBANGR

mean old man
553 any good for a built 4.1? Where are you guys getting pistons? Anyone using Chevy 4" pistons?

Don't know about a 553. Most of the ones I have seen built are the 484 and 291 castings.

I know the 84-85 4.1's have larger oil passages.

553 any good for a built 4.1? Where are you guys getting pistons? Anyone using Chevy 4" pistons?

That block is the obscure 4.1; do you have pics of the block especially the head bolt hole water jacket area you can post?
There is a thread about these blocks some where, a pic would help us to compare them to the 484 or 291.

Im building a "291" block with JE custom pistons. They aren't cheap but they know their business and can answer any questions you might have before you make any commitments.
Check them out.
MH

That block is the obscure 4.1; do you have pics of the block especially the head bolt hole water jacket area you can post?
There is a thread about these blocks some where, a pic would help us to compare them to the 484 or 291.

The obscure one is the 044 casting. The 553s can be found here and there.

no one on here knows any thing about this block?

Its one of the three castings commonly found in production GM cars from 1980-1984. The #291 casting is said to be beefier in the deck area around the headbolt holes that are next to the water passage into the head. The #484 casting is said to have better oiling passages of the three. The #553 is said to be............ well it isn't said to be anything but it was used everywhere the other two were used. One of the board members is building/has built a #044 casting and said it is beefier than the #291. That particular #044 is the only one we know of in existance but we do know that he isn't full of chit and does actually have an #044 casting which is listed as used by Cadillac on this chart.Sheet1

I have a #553 block that came out of a 1980 LeSabre so we can difinetly say that it was the early casting. Maybe it doesn't have any of the qualities of the later castings?:confused:

For what it's worth.......

Attachments

• casting 1.jpg
    casting 1.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 277
  • pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 270
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 281
Casting is 25520044 and more pics......

Attachments

• pic 3.jpg
    pic 3.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 264
  • pic 4.jpg
    pic 4.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 259
  • casting.jpg
    casting.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 280
How is it running?

Still on the stand but it should be in the new project car this spring (White T w/ Blk trim)

Doing the turbobuick.S budget build up

Had all three castings together, the 291, 0044 & 553, the visual inspection the 0044 block looked beefier than the others in the deck area.

I have the 0044, and it is beefy. You can find the post with pics at 4.1 production builds.

Back