You can type here any text you want

4.3 truck engine?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

FlintBuick4Life

I was looking around for a different motor for my 78 Regal and seen a 1994 1/2 ton 4.3 v6 rwd truck and thought maybe that will work:biggrin: Has anyone tried this? If so what trans will work with it? I have a 350 turbo trans in the Regal now, will that work with it?

I was looking around for a different motor for my 78 Regal and seen a 1994 1/2 ton 4.3 v6 rwd truck and thought maybe that will work:biggrin: Has anyone tried this? If so what trans will work with it? I have a 350 turbo trans in the Regal now, will that work with it?

fwiw...........There is a pretty low 12 sec S10 locally to me. It is a fairly well built 4.3 with a D1 procharger on 15-16 psi (I think). Anyways it has a 4L60E behind it with all the good CK parts in it. I did help him get it built, so I know the trans is really nice. Long story short It has been taking a beating for a 3 years worth of street duty, and it holds its own. I dont see why you couldnt make one work. I have no idea what he spent internally to make it last, but Im sure he didnt spare any expense just like with his trans. He cant sneak up on anyone with that loud ass charger on there, but I am sure lots of guys try to figure out what the hell he has. Right before he starts to walk them! Makes you wonder what it would do with a turbo and say 21-22 psi?? J

the 4.3 will need a chevy trans
iff you had a buick or olds engine in your regal you have a bop trans

for the effort involved in putting a Chevy V6 where a Buick V6 now lives, you might as well just build a 350 Chev and put in it- it will be cheaper, more powerful, and probably easier on gas.

I was looking at a 350 TPI, but it is missing a lot of things I need and it will cost. I blew the motor in my 78 Regal and I`m looking for something that will make it good on gas and I can put a turbo on it. I can get a S-10, Sonoma, Blazer, Astro... all have a 4.3 Vortec for $600 or less, so I could strip the engine and everything I need off those and still get some money back from the scrap yard:biggrin: I know it wont be easy, but it might be worth it in the long run.

If your not opposed to going the v8 thing why not go 5.3??? You can find them all day. It would give you room to grow. About $1500 you can get 5.3 w/4l60e and harness. Now were getting somewhere. J

I found a cheap 350 TPI, but it is missing the flywheel, alt, ecm, wiring harness, and idk if my power steering pump will work with it... I`m trying to work in the $500-$800 range or cheaper... I`m having a rough time money wise right now:( My other idea was finding a 3800, but all I can find is fwd ones. If I do find a rwd one, it will cost me.

no matter what you get, you aren't going to get it in the car and running for under $800.. you gotta also add up all the other stuff you need to buy to put it in, and how much time and effort are you going to want to put into something that will just be disappointing when you are done? you can't just throw a turbo on any old engine and expect it to live- that also has to be factored into the equation.
the best budget way to do it would be to find a complete running vehicle with a 350 in it and just swap it in. hell, i once bought a complete running (but rusty) '74 3/4 ton suburban with a 454 in it for $400 and i see complete mid 70's cars with 350's in them for under $500 from time to time.

How good is a 350 TBI on gas tho? I can get a 87 3/4 ton gmc with a 350 tbi for $750 on Craigslist:biggrin:

How good is a 350 TBI on gas tho? I can get a 87 3/4 ton gmc with a 350 tbi for $750 on Craigslist:biggrin:
i had a 92 Caprice with 3.42 gears that had the TBI 350 that averaged 26mpg. that same motor is still running in a '95 Suburban that gets 17mpg.

Back