You can type here any text you want

4 bolt down pipe question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TURBOELKY

any body build a down pipe for atr 4 bolt headers? or know if anybody is selling one used? thanks.

Yeah here is mine I built.

I built this 4 inch down pipe. The headers are atr 3 bolt. I cut the 3 bolt off and welded a rount to square tube transition on with 4 bolt flange. Make sure you tig abd back gas with argon so it dosent crack. I also tilted the turbo and angled it to reduce the bends in the down pipe.

Attachments

• downpipe.JPG
    downpipe.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 221
uuuuhhh sorry, I was under the impression that the down pipe attaches to the TURBO and not the headers..... your question was for a down pipe that will work with atr 4 bolt headers.....??
Only in your reply did you mention "w/t4 flange, w/4 bolt exhaust housing"....

4 bolt headers are 4 bolt headers. if I said 3 bolt headers, you would know what I meant right? but thanks for the replies. I'm going to run with that cut the flange off and weld on the 4 bolt exhaust flange.

that was my point, I wan't trying to be a smart a**, 4 bolt or 3 bolt headers are the exact same except one has one more bolt hole with a rectangular flange instead of a triangular flange, neither of which effects what down pipe you run, only what turbo you bolt to it..... Its the exhaust housing on the turbo that determines what dp you are able to use. Maybe I misunderstood your origional question.?

UHHH, you know, a down pipe that works with atr headers, w/t4 flange, w/4 bolt exhaust housing, one to fit something like this uhhhh
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/parts-sale/226598-stage-i-all-goodies.html

I got the email, thanks I will get back to you.

Bump for more info. I need one too. The one pictured in the link is a dinosaur on center housing. Those dont flow much better if at all better than a 3 bolt. You want the tangential 4 bolt like in Terry's pic.

that was my point, I wan't trying to be a smart a**, 4 bolt or 3 bolt headers are the exact same except one has one more bolt hole with a rectangular flange instead of a triangular flange, neither of which effects what down pipe you run, only what turbo you bolt to it..... Its the exhaust housing on the turbo that determines what dp you are able to use. Maybe I misunderstood your origional question.?

ok, i posted it wrong, your a smart a$$, i'm an idiot:D ahhhh, nothing like making up. The reason was, the turbo seem's to sit about 2&1/2" further towards the front of the car, making a regular down pipe come up a little too short to modify. we took a trip to gn1performance and got a down pipe made to fit the atr/kenny bell headers, and it looks like it lines up perfect. were just going to lob off the flange and weld on the 4 bolt exhaust housing flange. Thanks for the help guys!
Bison, looks like you need the same pipe my buddy picked up for this project. good luck bud.:)

Bump for more info. I need one too. The one pictured in the link is a dinosaur on center housing. Those dont flow much better if at all better than a 3 bolt. You want the tangential 4 bolt like in Terry's pic.

we'll see how this turbo goes. Its just been rebult, and the exhaust housing was smoothed out and ceramic coated, i'm sure it will do the job. thanks for the advice though:cool:

You mean you need a 3.5" DP like this one? I wish i could help you , but for the 20 hours labour its not really worth the hassle to build without a jig setup.

Attachments

• dp-7.JPG
    dp-7.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 118

generally, with 4 bolt headers, you run a 4 bolt ex housing, which requires a v-band downpipe....unless u have an ancient on center

generally, with 4 bolt headers, you run a 4 bolt ex housing, which requires a v-band downpipe....unless u have an ancient on center

Mine is that way. Atr 4 bolt bolted to a 70gtq and a custom 3.5 dp with
v-band

So all 4 bolt exhaust housing have v-band set up?

You mean you need a 3.5" DP like this one? I wish i could help you , but for the 20 hours labour its not really worth the hassle to build without a jig setup.

If that will work with A/C thats what i need. Im first in line if you decide to sell it:tongue: .

Back